Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
BTW, here's something to ask yourself:

What can we offer that the Rags can't/won't? There must be SOME reason they suddenly included us instead of them. We're essentially in a bidding war with the Rags to facilitate this deal.

This is assuming that Pagnotta's tweet is a statement of fact and not speculation/throwing items at the wall. I wouldn't assume that.

See, look at the above, Pagnotta has no idea what he's talking about - you can't come back to the NHL when you leave for the KHL unless you pass through waivers first, which Markov wouldn't.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I'm also not so sure Callahan is going to be the cap dump. He's only signed 2 more years. He's not going to offer the cap relief they need for very long, considering they have so many people they need to re-sign next year.

callahan is a super nice trade piece at the deadline next year for sure. some team will want that playoff vet. easily could get a 2nd for him

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
BTW, here's something to ask yourself:

What can we offer that the Rags can't/won't? There must be SOME reason they suddenly included us instead of them. We're essentially in a bidding war with the Rags to facilitate this deal.
maybe people want to come here since we're more competitive.

we also have a better pipeline than the rangers do

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
or it could be that the devils are demanding less then the rangers are to take back the bad contracts.
Right, but I'd think if we're taking Callahan for Johnson, the Rags would do the same. It's kind of hard to edge the Rags out with a trade like this. There are quantum amounts. One player would be overpayment, a different player underpayment, with nothing in between.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
callahan is a super nice trade piece at the deadline next year for sure. some team will want that playoff vet. easily could get a 2nd for him
WAT?

A 2nd round pick at the deadline? And by next year, you mean 2020 and not 2019? He'd probably be worth a 4th or 5th round pick at most, and that's assuming he doesn't drop off any more from what he already has. Even if he was a UFA next year and was a deadline rental in 2019? He probably wouldn't return more than a 4th-5th round pick at the very most.

Some people just don't realize how bad Ryan Callahan is right now.

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
WAT?

A 2nd round pick at the deadline? And by next year, you mean 2020 and not 2019? He'd probably be worth a 4th or 5th round pick at most, and that's assuming he doesn't drop off any more from what he already has. Even if he was a UFA next year and was a deadline rental in 2019? He probably wouldn't return more than a 4th-5th round pick at the very most.

I *KNEW* that post would elicit a response from you :)

Reactions: Bleedred

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Right, but I'd think if we're taking Callahan for Johnson, the Rags would do the same. It's kind of hard to edge the Rags out with a trade like this. There are quantum amounts. One player would be overpayment, a different player underpayment, with nothing in between.
we can add to the deals better than the rangers can, if melnyk wants more. OR if Yzerman wants something back, like a prospect.

it's not like Yzerman is gonna take back the prospects he gave the rangers, after all... would he?

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
Now that this endless discussion has been going on for a couple of days, id put my monis on Callahan + Johnson to NJ if we're the 3rd wheel

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
WAT?

you dont understand how desperate teams are come deadline day

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I *KNEW* that post would elicit a response from you :)
I really can't stand Callahan, but I'm not exaggerating how bad Callahan the player is in 2018. He's 33 years old, no speed, can't do anything good anymore, except for block shots. And that's only because he stands around trapped in his D-zone and can't even get out of it if you told him the defending zone side of the ice was about to be swallowed into the bottom of the earth. He has 29 points in his last 116 games (including 15 in the playoffs this past year and 16 playoff games in 2016) played. Going back to the start of the 2016 playoffs. He also only played 18 games all of 16-17, probably because he couldn't stay on the ice.

Callahan was always overrated (''He's almost as good as Parise brah!''), but he had some use at one point. He really doesn't anymore, and there's no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have been an upgrade to anyone permanently on last year's roster, outside of maybe Jimmy Hayes who hardly played. I'm not even sure I would have considered him better than Stafford, if not just for the fact that last year's Stafford was pretty good in the shootout. I don't think Callahan was featured in the shootout much.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
you dont understand how desperate teams are come deadline day
Oh, they're desperate, but they can do better than Callahan for a 2nd round pick at the 2020 deadline. A (then) 35 year old Ryan Callahan. A Ryan Callahan who almost assuredly won't be in the league the season following that trade deadline, be it voluntarily or not.

I am also considering that sometimes you pay a 4th rounder for a 37 year old Vern Fiddler, so that's why I say MAYBE he gets a 4th by that point? And by the same account, the same team might also only give you a 6th round pick that same year for PA Parenteau.

Rebel Devil

Mar 16, 2014
Now that this endless discussion has been going on for a couple of days, id put my monis on Callahan + Johnson to NJ if we're the 3rd wheel

I'd give up a 1st pick for that deal, but not much more. Callahan is terrible these days .. a .25 ppg waste of space and money. Tyler Johnson is a quality 2nd line center and it fills a big need.

Reactions: Bleedred

Nubmer6

Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I really can't stand Callahan, but I'm not exaggerating how bad Callahan the player is in 2018. He's 33 years old, no speed, can't do anything good anymore, except for block shots. And that's only because he stands around trapped in his D-zone and can't even get out of it if you told him the defending zone side of the ice was about to be swallowed into the bottom of the earth. He has 29 points in his last 116 games (including 15 in the playoffs this past year and 16 playoff games in 2016) played. Going back to the start of the 2016 playoffs. He also only played 18 games all of 16-17, probably because he couldn't stay on the ice.

Callahan was always overrated (''He's almost as good as Parise brah!''), but he had some use at one point. He really doesn't anymore, and there's no doubt in my mind that he wouldn't have been an upgrade to anyone permanently on last year's roster, outside of maybe Jimmy Hayes who hardly played. I'm not even sure I would have considered him better than Stafford, if not just for the fact that last year's Stafford was pretty good in the shootout. I don't think Callahan was featured in the shootout much.
I don't even want to think what your reaction would be if we ended up eating Gerardi as the cap dump :help:

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
lol at people mentioning kucherov, why don’t you just pencil in Karlsson coming to nj too

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Love how Ray is such a shark in the water...just circling and waiting for an opportunity to exploit teams with salary cap issues. He did it last year with Washington to acquire Johansson and it makes sense that he would be in with this Tampa/Ottawa deal.

Ray has said it before and it merits repeating. Free agency is generally NOT the way to build a team. To supplement? Maybe. It’s all about drafting well and making shrewd trades. Value, fiscal responsibility and restraint, guys!! Callahan has two years left on remaining deal at just under 6 mil. We could absorb that contract, extend Hall next summer. Vatanen the summer after and still have plenty of room to add more talent (and salary) over that two year span. Bobby Ryan, on the other, hand...4 years @7.5m per...ouch. I’d only take him back if the return was an offer “too good to refuse.”

Reactions: MadDog172430

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
Eklund is such a hack. There is NO way Kucherov gets moved. He should be embarrassed even putting that out there. “Let’s throw enough crap against the wall and hope something sticks.” ‍♂️

Reactions: Devils Dominion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad