Around The League 2018-19 Offseason edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
Haha I think that's the only way Ray gets involved with Tampa. I don't think he's going to help Tampa make cap space to become a freaking juggernaut unless Ray gets something back to improve this team.

I think somebody is going to help. If it's gonna happen, we might as well be the team getting a little help out of it. If we were the only way TB gets EK that would be different but I don't see how that will be the case.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Is it realistic to think Maroon is waiting on NJ?

If Ryan's contract/Johnson/Killorn types coming here is a possibility it would explain why Maroon hasn't signed yet, if we are his preferred destination

I'd be surprised if he's waiting on them. I'd also be surprised if we were waiting for some deal that very much could fall through and we'd be left with our pants down if they wanted Maroon.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I can't picture any scenario where we're adding on $20 million in cap that would prohibit us from signing Maroon financially. Roster-wise it might be another story if they somehow acquire a couple of forwards they might not need him at that point.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I'd be surprised if he's waiting on them. I'd also be surprised if we were waiting for some deal that very much could fall through and we'd be left with our pants down if they wanted Maroon.
I dont think it would be that crazy if Maroon said he wants to be in NJ and Shero said 'hey, id love to sign you but I have to make sure a few trades aren't going through first.'

If Maroon is in no rush, I dont see why it couldnt be that way. Perhaps its a stretch to think so but why else would Maroon not have signed yet? Unless he is a very patient man maybe

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
I can't picture any scenario where we're adding on $20 million in cap that would prohibit us from signing Maroon financially. Roster-wise it might be another story if they somehow acquire a couple of forwards they might not need him at that point.
Yeah its more fit than cap.

If we get a Johnson/Ryan/Killorn then there may simply be no room for Maroon

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I dont think it would be that crazy if Maroon said he wants to be in NJ and Shero said 'hey, id love to sign you but I have to make sure a few trades aren't going through first.'

If Maroon is in no rush, I dont see why it couldnt be that way. Perhaps its a stretch to think so but why else would Maroon not have signed yet? Unless he is a very patient man maybe

I'd just be surprised because what if we wait and wait, no trades happen, and Maroon decides he can't wait and signs elsewhere?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'd just be surprised because what if we wait and wait, no trades happen, and Maroon decides he can't wait and signs elsewhere?

Eh they're not going to make him wait two months if that's what's happening. Sometimes we've benefitted from guys who were willing to wait out certain other moves (Rafalski when Nieds left).

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Eh they're not going to make him wait two months if that's what's happening. Sometimes we've benefitted from guys who were willing to wait out certain other moves (Rafalski when Nieds left).

Yeah but if I'm him, the post below is exactly how I'd feel

Can't imagine Maroon would be cool if we said "hey wait and see if we can trade for another forward. If not, you're our man."

^this

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Can't imagine Maroon would be cool if we said "hey wait and see if we can trade for another forward. If not, you're our man."

I'm sure he's fine with it if the alternative is St. Louis (where his family lives) or a similar offer elsewhere. It's not like players really HAVE to sign contracts till camp.

njdevils19

Jan 11, 2007
Northern NJ
I'm sure he's fine with it if the alternative is St. Louis (where his family lives) or a similar offer elsewhere. It's not like players really HAVE to sign contracts till camp.

If he has an offer from STL where his family lives and our offer is essentially "if we don't find someone better" wouldn't he just take the STL offer? I guess if ours is bigger or he really likes our team he would wait.

Nico the Draft Riser

Nov 18, 2017
We have a lot of cap so it shouldn’t.
Cap wise no it shouldn't, as NJD26 said. But positional need wise, wouldn't we be over full if we got Maroon and another top 9 guy via trade?

I mean having more talented guys than less isnt a problem but it could be depending on circumstances

Devilsgrl35

Feb 15, 2009
New York
Unless a team is getting something they can't refuse, nobody should be helping Tampa become a powerhouse. This is such a complicated trade to make to begin with, it's even more complicated for Tampa.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Unless a team is getting something they can't refuse, nobody should be helping Tampa become a powerhouse. This is such a complicated trade to make to begin with, it's even more complicated for Tampa.

If you can get a prime asset it makes sense. For just a couple of picks it doesn’t make sense. Even if Tampa is in a different division and doesn’t affect our attempts to make the playoffs much.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
I still think Dallas has a leg up over Tampa with Karlsson just because they're out of the Senators division/conference entirely. It's significantly easier to stomach him tearing things up or creating a powerhouse team when you're not competing against them directly. I know Ottawa is unlikely to be competing with Tampa anytime soon regardless, but wherever he ends up he's going to be there for a long time, if they want to move on from the negativity surrounding their franchise from all these sagas as quickly as possible out-of-sight out-of-mind might be the better approach even if the return isn't as good.

Not to mention, I don't think Karlsson really cares outside of getting a juicy extension in a zero income tax state, if you add Karlsson to the Stars roster it's pretty damn competitive even if they underachieved a little recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad