Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
Both guys have played for inept organizations for most of their careers. In a 31 team league, it is going to happen more and more frequently, especially now that the league fixed the lottery and 9 different teams have picked in the top 3 since 2016.

Fixed as in corrected or fixed as in rigged?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Is there anything to back up this claim that players drop off at 32-33?

Seems too young

Google "NHL aging curves" and read some of the studies. It's also not that hard to look at players stats in their early-to-mid 30's compared to their mid-to-late 20's, and determine that there is some drop off. Obviously there are exceptions, and a drop off doesn't necessarily mean going completely over a cliff. But if you're talking signing a guy to a big contract into his mid 30's, I think 32-33 is where you start getting into potentially risky territory, unless you're talking elite talent, which tends to age better. I don't think that necessarily means you shouldn't ever sign anybody past that age, but it's something you should definitely consider.

Reactions: Darkauron

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fixed as in corrected or fixed as in rigged?

Pretty sure he means the former (especially after pointing out nine different teams have won the top three drawings the last three years), because now it is an actual lottery and not just - well we can move up from 8 to 4 to get Adam Larsson, or only the top handful of teams have a shot at the #1 pick.

The new system is more tankproof though most fans still don't realize it and treat 'tanking' as if it's like baseball or football where draft picks are still linear in order of where you finish.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Carolina owner says he won’t let his team draft D in the first round while he is around.

Rather lose a game 5-4 because it’s more fun.

This is an actual quote? Well Carolina just became irrelevant for the next 20 or so years.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
To be fair, Carolina's defense already has Hamilton, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, De Haan, with Fleury and others in the pipeline. So defense isn't exactly a high priority for them now.

What they need is the same thing they've needed for years, goaltending. When your best option is 35 year old Curtis McElhinney, you have a problem.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Lozo's not doing Puck Soup anymore? Where will I get my disgusted sighs about how dumb this league is?

I was dejected when I found out. :cry:

Glad Wysh is at least going to keep it going with whomever he opts to partner with, but I grew to love Lozo. Seems like his new role at ESPN is taking over his focus at the end of the day.

Reactions: None Shall Pass

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
Lozo's not doing Puck Soup anymore? Where will I get my disgusted sighs about how dumb this league is?

I was dejected when I found out. :cry:

Glad Wysh is at least going to keep it going with whomever he opts to partner with, but I grew to love Lozo. Seems like his new role at ESPN is taking over his focus at the end of the day.

Me too. Down Goes Brown did a Reddit AMA and I asked him which of Lozo's sighs was most memorable on Biscuits. This was his response:

"The one from one of the first episodes (maybe the first) where he was excited about the expansion draft and then I explained how the NHL was going to mess it up. You could actually hear the happiness escaping from his soul."

devilsfan35

Jun 15, 2015
I’m not surprised. Fletcher has been having long 1-1 interviews with everyone on the team. I guess the players gave up on him

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
To be fair, Carolina's defense already has Hamilton, Faulk, Slavin, Pesce, De Haan, with Fleury and others in the pipeline. So defense isn't exactly a high priority for them now.

What they need is the same thing they've needed for years, goaltending. When your best option is 35 year old Curtis McElhinney, you have a problem.

They need forwards too. Team can’t score.

Devils090

Feb 16, 2014
Hakstol is definitely done after tonight

They’ll get Q though, while we make zero moves

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hakstol is definitely done after tonight

They’ll get Q though, while we make zero moves
Quite a few times have had a chance to go after Q already and he hasn't been hired.

I could be wrong, but I don't think we'll see him in Philly, unless it's next year.

He may actually wanna take the rest of the year off, before going to work again, but maybe he doesn't.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
ah ****. flyers about to get a lot better

It's pretty easy to see that the last game probably killed Hakstol, this game is just ending any chances of him redeeming himself though.

It's pretty rare to see a coach fired in the middle of a long road trip like this, so I think he's done after this. Next game is at home for them on Tuesday. He's fired either tomorrow or Monday. I would expect the announcement no earlier than the morning though. Maybe later, depending on if Philly isn't flying back home until the morning.

It seems they won't fire him before he has to take the team plane back home with the rest of the team, or they will and they'll call him a cab and book him his plane ticket home on a commercial flight. :laugh:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's pretty easy to see that the last game probably killed Hakstol, this game is just ending any chances of him redeeming himself though.

It's pretty rare to see a coach fired in the middle of a long road trip like this, so I think he's done after this. Next game is at home for them on Tuesday. He's fired either tomorrow or Monday. I would expect the announcement no earlier than the morning though. Maybe later, depending on if Philly isn't flying back home until the morning.

It seems they won't fire him before he has to take the team plane back home with the rest of the team, or they will and they'll call him a cab and book him his plane ticket home on a commercial flight. :laugh:

So the Gritty era will begin on Broad Street. His mushroom addled brain and shriveled vacuous soul will be a perfect fit behind the bench there. He may not speak or write but he will still get more from the players than Hakstol.

Reactions: Bleedred

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Quenneville is going to have a lot better opportunities than the Flyers.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Quenneville is going to have a lot better opportunities than the Flyers.

Not until the offseason. Barry Trotz could have had a lot better job than the Isles if he'd waited but he didn't want to wait around for an in-season firing or through a full season.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Not until the offseason. Barry Trotz could have had a lot better job than the Isles if he'd waited but he didn't want to wait around for an in-season firing or through a full season.

Trotz also resigned and thus wasn't going to get paid, Q is picking up a $6 million paycheck while he waits.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I think Shero addressed signings like Duchene in his interview:

"I've said all along, with the support of managing partners, Josh (Harris) and David (Blitzer), that you don't build a team that's rebuilding through free agent signings that would handcuff you in 3-to-4 years," Shero said. "Doing something for the sake of getting a little bit better, or to just say you're doing something, is patchwork and not a plan. There's only one way to do this. The idea is to build something that once you do build it, you're in a good position each year to have a chance to make the playoffs and at a certain point you're considered a Cup contender.
Five Questions with Ray Shero

No offense to Taylor Hall and I hope the Devils resign him, but he will likely be getting in the $10 million dollar range. He has played in one playoff series. Duchene is likely in the $9 million range. He has played in 8 playoff games. IMO it does not sound like a great idea to have two 28 year old players taking up 20% plus of your cap that have never won a playoff series between them.

Well I mean it's a team game...

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Well I mean it's a team game...
It is. Colorado got better after Duchene left and Ottawa got worse after he got there. Do you think it is a good idea to have over 20% of your cap devoted to two 28 year olds (players start declining in that age range) that have experienced no playoff success? If you do we will agree to disagree.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It is. Colorado got better after Duchene left and Ottawa got worse after he got there. Do you think it is a good idea to have over 20% of your cap devoted to two 28 year olds (players start declining in that age range) that have experienced no playoff success? If you do we will agree to disagree.

Do you really think Duchene was the reason both of those things happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad