Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I love the ref getting drilled with a giant, pink, teddy bear at the 0:30 mark.

I was bummed to find out that the San Diego Gulls canceled the teddy bear toss this year and replaced it with a pregame teddy bear drive. The official reason was that the various charities weren't accepting the unsanitary bears, but I can't help but think somebody got hurt after being hit a bear last year and lawyered up.

I went to WHL Portland's teddy bear toss a couple weeks ago. While I was recording a video of it, a flying bear knocked my phone out of my hands. Phone went down a few rows but thankfully no damage.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
There's a big difference between 3 more years of $2.75M and 5 more years of $7M. If Nylander doesn't at least turn into the constant 30+ goal scorer they think he will, it's a disaster.

I think disaster may be a bit overstated. If he is scoring 20+ goals with about 70 points and plays reasonably well in the neutral and defensive zones it’s not a disaster in my view. In two years some other contract will look worse.

As an aside what do you think Nico asks for this offseason if Shero wants to talk early extension? Assume he scores about 20 goals and 60 points.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005

I don't know what's better, the name or the beard.

Assuming you know this, but for those who don't, name is a reference to:

Reactions: Bleedred

None Shall Pass

Dano moisturizes
Jul 7, 2007
Brooklyn
That contract is bat**** insane.

Back in my day a fetus had to prove he could play at a high level in the NHL before being awarded perennial all-star money. Two low-20 goal seasons doesn't cut it for me.

In other news, get off my lawn.

It's the new normal with NHL contracts. GMs are starting to realize that going younger is a better solution, and that a player's (ESPECIALLY forwards) prime years are earlier in their career. Players, as a result, are trying to cash in younger.

It's also savvy on the GMs part. Look at a guy like MacKinnon. Locked up at like $6ish million a few years ago. Now? He'd get $10-11 without a second thought. There's a trend already underway to pay for potential when you get term with it, because when it misses, it's generally not too bad, but when it hits (MacKinnon, Subban, etc.), it's a BIG help.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Interesting to see the Flyers are using at Giroux at center again. SeanC had been out for a few games. He is back tonight playing as 2C with Patrick at 3C. Flyers were struggling with 3C. I wonder if this is the coach or GM (or both) making this switch. It will be interesting to watch how things move forward in Philly.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
It's the new normal with NHL contracts. GMs are starting to realize that going younger is a better solution, and that a player's (ESPECIALLY forwards) prime years are earlier in their career. Players, as a result, are trying to cash in younger.

It's also savvy on the GMs part. Look at a guy like MacKinnon. Locked up at like $6ish million a few years ago. Now? He'd get $10-11 without a second thought. There's a trend already underway to pay for potential when you get term with it, because when it misses, it's generally not too bad, but when it hits (MacKinnon, Subban, etc.), it's a BIG help.
These are the kinds of contracts that help cause lockouts.

The owners will complain about them, but they're the ones allowing them to be signed.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I know it's his contract year and he has a history of inconsistent play, but Matt Duchene looks more and more enticing as each game passes
I have a feeling in 3-4 years Duchene will be viewed as a player with negative value with an unmovable contract. IMO too much risk that his contract is killing the Devils in 4 years or so for me to have any interest.

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
These are the kinds of contracts that help cause lockouts.

The owners will complain about them, but they're the ones allowing them to be signed.
It also has ramifications with respect to how teams build in the future. It used to be that you could count on players outproducing their RFA contracts. It is harder for them to do that with the recent escalation of the RFA salaries.

Reactions: Bleedred

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I have a feeling in 3-4 years Duchene will be viewed as a player with negative value with an unmovable contract. IMO too much risk that his contract is killing the Devils in 4 years or so for me to have any interest.

He'll be 28 in January, so you'll probably get 3-4 good years out of him and after that it's anybody's guess. It seems like 32-33 is where most players drop off significantly. Is that worth what he's going to get paid? It probably depends on how soon you think we can compete. Say we add Duchene and Smith steps into a top 4 role next year, suddenly we don't look so bad. I think I'm in the "not against it but wary of the contract" camp.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He'll be 28 in January, so you'll probably get 3-4 good years out of him and after that it's anybody's guess. It seems like 32-33 is where most players drop off significantly. Is that worth what he's going to get paid? It probably depends on how soon you think we can compete. Say we add Duchene and Smith steps into a top 4 role next year, suddenly we don't look so bad. I think I'm in the "not against it but wary of the contract" camp.
Is there anything to back up this claim that players drop off at 32-33?

Seems too young

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Is there anything to back up this claim that players drop off at 32-33?

Seems too young
Depends what you mean by drop off.

Drop off as in completely useless and washed up? No. Drop off as in no longer produce points at the rate they did in their 20's? Definitely.

Reactions: Ripshot 43

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

i don’t see how we could sign him for less than $8M. i’m not saying i wouldn’t do it, but if schneider is immovable, kinky leaves and our goaltending is shit, why bother bringing him in? there will be other 2C’s available in the years ahead when our goaltending situation is more concrete.

having said that...having nico, duchene, hall, a solid top 3 (fingers crossed) pick, and smith in the lineup is tempting

ChicksDigTheTrap

Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I think Shero addressed signings like Duchene in his interview:

"I've said all along, with the support of managing partners, Josh (Harris) and David (Blitzer), that you don't build a team that's rebuilding through free agent signings that would handcuff you in 3-to-4 years," Shero said. "Doing something for the sake of getting a little bit better, or to just say you're doing something, is patchwork and not a plan. There's only one way to do this. The idea is to build something that once you do build it, you're in a good position each year to have a chance to make the playoffs and at a certain point you're considered a Cup contender.
Five Questions with Ray Shero

No offense to Taylor Hall and I hope the Devils resign him, but he will likely be getting in the $10 million dollar range. He has played in one playoff series. Duchene is likely in the $9 million range. He has played in 8 playoff games. IMO it does not sound like a great idea to have two 28 year old players taking up 20% plus of your cap that have never won a playoff series between them.

Reactions: Oneiro

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i don’t see how we could sign him for less than $8M. i’m not saying i wouldn’t do it, but if schneider is immovable, kinky leaves and our goaltending is ****, why bother bringing him in? there will be other 2C’s available in the years ahead when our goaltending situation is more concrete.

having said that...having nico, duchene, hall, a solid top 3 (fingers crossed) pick, and smith in the lineup is tempting
Cory is getting bought out after this year, barring significant time in net down the stretch and returning to a .920% (or somewhere close to it) goalie while he plays and for a significant amount of games. Not just 20 games. And if that happens, I still think Shero upgrades Kinkaid with someone that can be the starter over Cory, but barring a real turnaround in play, he's probably bought out or LTIR'd, which is probably less likely.

Reactions: glenwo2

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think Shero addressed signings like Duchene in his interview:

"I've said all along, with the support of managing partners, Josh (Harris) and David (Blitzer), that you don't build a team that's rebuilding through free agent signings that would handcuff you in 3-to-4 years," Shero said. "Doing something for the sake of getting a little bit better, or to just say you're doing something, is patchwork and not a plan. There's only one way to do this. The idea is to build something that once you do build it, you're in a good position each year to have a chance to make the playoffs and at a certain point you're considered a Cup contender.
Five Questions with Ray Shero

No offense to Taylor Hall and I hope the Devils resign him, but he will likely be getting in the $10 million dollar range. He has played in one playoff series. Duchene is likely in the $9 million range. He has played in 8 playoff games. IMO it does not sound like a great idea to have two 28 year old players taking up 20% plus of your cap that have never won a playoff series between them.

Both guys have played for inept organizations for most of their careers. In a 31 team league, it is going to happen more and more frequently, especially now that the league fixed the lottery and 9 different teams have picked in the top 3 since 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad