Around The League 2018-19 II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
It's pretty easy to see that the last game probably killed Hakstol, this game is just ending any chances of him redeeming himself though.

It's pretty rare to see a coach fired in the middle of a long road trip like this, so I think he's done after this. Next game is at home for them on Tuesday. He's fired either tomorrow or Monday. I would expect the announcement no earlier than the morning though. Maybe later, depending on if Philly isn't flying back home until the morning.

It seems they won't fire him before he has to take the team plane back home with the rest of the team, or they will and they'll call him a cab and book him his plane ticket home on a commercial flight. :laugh:
Hakstol being let go was inevitable after Hextall was fired. The person that most wants Dave Hakstol fired is likely Dave Hakstol himself. Hextall took very good care of him. He is paid $2 million per year. He still has a year left after this year. I am sure Hak would much rather be home looking for a college job and getting paid as opposed to going to a job he has known he was going to get fired from since the end of November.

The Flyers are paying Dave Hakstol like he's a Stanley Cup-winning head coach

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I literally thought that was some acting job for a jumbotron bit when I first saw it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Speaking of JQ and Hakstol, like I figured if offered the job Quenneville would take it, not wanting to sit on his butt the whole season

such as? the flyers are in great shape, where is he going to go that’s better? st. louis?

The Flyers also want to be more of a win-now team in the immediate future with young talent to burn, like JQ's last stop in Chicago.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Why? It's not like we were hiring Quenneville anyway. Besides, what other teams do is meaningless unless we take care of our own ****.

They are a team that we directly compete against and will have top jump over to become a contender and now they have one of the best coaches in the league.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
It's not that meaningless long-term, the Flyers getting more structure is a bad thing. I can't believe that headline that Hakstol was the third-longest tenured Flyer coach, that has to be a mistake right? Just off the top of my head Fred Shero and Terry Murray were longer, maybe that's it though?

EDIT: Guess it's actually true, Murray wasn't there as long as I thought, Keenan was the other one with more games coached. That's actually more coaching instability than I thought.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
They are a team that we directly compete against and will have top jump over to become a contender and now they have one of the best coaches in the league.

None of which is going to matter if we don't turn ourselves around first. If we do then I'll worry about competing with Philly.

Last edited:

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
It’s a lot easier to turn yourself around if the other teams in your division are incompetent.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It’s a lot easier to turn yourself around if the other teams in your division are incompetent.

Fair, but the Flyers still have the same goaltending issues they've always had until Hart becomes the real deal. Simmonds is a pending UFA that may not even finish the season with them. It's not like Quenneville is taking over a stacked roster that's been held back by coaching. Also, they're still the Philadelphia Flyers. They'll find some way to f*** it up like they always do.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Maybe I was wrong on Quenneville not coming to Philly before this year ends. Or maybe not. Who knows right now?

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
I was pretty surprised when I heard that Quenneville/Flyers stuff, because reports are that Quenneville does not want to move into a rebuild.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I was pretty surprised when I heard that Quenneville/Flyers stuff, because reports are that Quenneville does not want to move into a rebuild.

Well the Flyers don't want to rebuild anymore, that's why Hextall's out of there.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
Well the Flyers don't want to rebuild anymore, that's why Hextall's out of there.

The Flyers are nowhere close to winning, it's a "rebuild" whether they want to call it that or not, and Quenneville reportedly only wants to go to a team that is a legitimate playoff contender.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
There's no point in Q coming to Philly this year. They look about cooked and they're down to about their fifth string goalie already.

Maybe next year, but they might be too far gone on the season now.

Then again, they are good for a 10 game winning streak every year.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's also possible he could change his mind, but he'll be 61 next season, so it makes sense to me a guy that old with his accomplishments would not want to be on a 5 year plan.

They fired Hextall because he was too patient (which still strikes me as a dumb reason). I would assume that means they're going to make moves to fast forward the rebuild.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Quenneville should wait out until the offseason. Teams might bid for him.

There's a very good chance teams like Philly and St. Louis are too far gone on the season right now for him to save them.

Berube has had the interim tag all along, so you know he ain't coming back next year, unless they retain him as the assistant.

Hakstol is almost assuredly not coaching a single game for Philly next season, no matter what happens with Quenneville.

Desjardins probably isn't coming back to LA after this, but I doubt Q wants to go there. That team looks too much like the one that just fired him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad