Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
JT signs for 15 million for one year then the next year Leafs sign him for 80 million. Then Leafs trade Kadri.
and then Tavares gets injured while playing with the leafs or Babcock gives him the Matthews treatment and he doesn't get the ice time he thinks he deserves?
nah

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
and then Tavares gets injured while playing with the leafs or Babcock gives him the Matthews treatment and he doesn't get the ice time he thinks he deserves?
nah
Personally, I would find it hilarious if Tavares signs that $15M first year deal, and then just does the exact same thing next off-season.

In fact, I kinda hope that happens. Bringing in a sweet $60M just signing those deals for the next 4 years, before getting a retirement contract.

Reactions: ps241

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th.

Probably gives a decent indication of what someone like Perreault’s trade value would be.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Sheary and Hunwick to Buffalo for a conditional 4th.

Probably gives a decent indication of what someone like Perreault’s trade value would be.

Perreault > Sheary
Mason > Hunwick

I'd be happy with Perreault + Mason vs. 2019 2nd round pick.

Jets clear out $8.2M in cap space, which would might give them space to sign Stastny. Thinking about it that way...

Perreault + Mason vs. Stastny + 2nd

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Perreault > Sheary
Mason > Hunwick

Jets clear out $8.2M in cap space, which would might give them space to sign Stastny. Thinking about it that way...

Is Stastny taking a one-year deal at 4m?

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Perreault > Sheary
Mason > Hunwick

Mason has negative trade value right now. The Jets are needing to move the contract in this scenario and will therefore have to pay someone to take it, by including a valuable piece (Perreault gets there a bit but not a ton), or take a lower return.

I think Mason and Perreault get you a 3rd.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Is Stastny taking a one-year deal at 4m?
Nope. The Jets would need to move more salary the following season (Myers and Kulikov, at the very least), and hope the salary cap gets another bump of $3M or so.

Overall, I have my doubts that Stastny would be worth it. I'm fairly optimistic that Roslovic is going to be a good 2/3 C.

Reactions: surixon

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Nope. The Jets would need to move more salary the following season (Myers and Kulikov, at the very least), and hope the salary cap gets another bump of $3M or so.

Overall, I have my doubts that Stastny would be worth it. I'm fairly optimistic that Roslovic is going to be a good 2/3 C.
Then it's a no. Stastny's not worth decimating our depth for.

Reactions: Mathil8

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Personally, I would find it hilarious if Tavares signs that $15M first year deal, and then just does the exact same thing next off-season.

In fact, I kinda hope that happens. Bringing in a sweet $60M just signing those deals for the next 4 years, before getting a retirement contract.
You could certainly structure a 7 or 8 year deal to pay him $15M in each of the first couple of years. And it wouldn't backdive too significantly (a couple of years at $15M and then $11M/year for 5 years?).

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You could certainly structure a 7 or 8 year deal to pay him $15M in each of the first couple of years. And it wouldn't backdive too significantly (a couple of years at $15M and then $11M/year for 5 years?).
Sure, if you want to pay a cap hit of >$12M. The idea of a big 1-year contract is to then bring the cap hit down in a longer second contract - circumvent the cap that way.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Sure, if you want to pay a cap hit of >$12M. The idea of a big 1-year contract is to then bring the cap hit down in a longer second contract - circumvent the cap that way.
Well, that's a good idea for the team offering the deal. Not sure what's in it for Tavares though...signing a 1 year deal is a big risk for him when offers are on the table for $96M (of which probably $89M is guaranteed with signing bonuses...even if it's all buyoutable salary and he gets bought out next summer, it's still $68M guaranteed).

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Perreault > Sheary
Mason > Hunwick

Still doesn't give near enough space to sign Stastny unless it is for 1 year only and not too much $$$.

But that Pitt Buffalo trade says nothing about Perreault's value.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Mason has negative trade value right now. The Jets are needing to move the contract in this scenario and will therefore have to pay someone to take it, by including a valuable piece (Perreault gets there a bit but not a ton), or take a lower return.

No thanks. No deal. There is nowhere near enough value in moving Mason to justify paying someone to take him.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

But the whole idea falls apart when you realize he is a 12 mil player and the max is just a little more than 15. That first year is nowhere near enough incentive to get Tavares to go along. He isn't going to take that risk for a single payday of an extra 3 mil. You might be able to do something like that with a 7-8 mil player. Just maybe.

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014

What would the Jets have to give in terms of cash? 2 million?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
But the whole idea falls apart when you realize he is a 12 mil player and the max is just a little more than 15. That first year is nowhere near enough incentive to get Tavares to go along. He isn't going to take that risk for a single payday of an extra 3 mil. You might be able to do something like that with a 7-8 mil player. Just maybe.
What if you dump Wheeler and give JT his money?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
i don't understand how the Penguins have much success. well, i do, but, management that trades away Sheary in order to possibly sign Jack Johnson is Calgary-level bad

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
i don't understand how the Penguins have much success. well, i do, but, management that trades away Sheary in order to possibly sign Jack Johnson is Calgary-level bad

They have a recent history of making very smart moves.

July 1, 2015[64]To Toronto Maple Leafs
Nick Spaling
Kasperi Kapanen
Scott Harrington
Conditional 1st round pick in 2016 or
      1st round pick in 2017 or
      2nd round pick in 2017
3rd round pick in 2016
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Phil Kessel[Note 1]
Tim Erixon
Tyler Biggs
Conditional PIT's 2nd round pick in 2016 or
      TOR's 2nd round pick in 2017
July 28, 2015[65]To Vancouver Canucks
Brandon Sutter
BUF's 3rd round pick in 2016
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Nick Bonino
Adam Clendening
ANA's 2nd round pick in 2016
December 14, 2015[66]To Chicago Blackhawks
Rob Scuderi[Note 2]
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Trevor Daley
January 16, 2016[67]To Anaheim Ducks
David Perron
Adam Clendening
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Carl Hagelin
February 27, 2016[68]To Edmonton Oilers
3rd round pick in 2016
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Justin Schultz[Note 3]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
They have a recent history of making very smart moves.

July 1, 2015[64]To Toronto Maple Leafs
Nick Spaling
Kasperi Kapanen
Scott Harrington
Conditional 1st round pick in 2016 or
      1st round pick in 2017 or
      2nd round pick in 2017
3rd round pick in 2016
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Phil Kessel[Note 1]
Tim Erixon
Tyler Biggs
Conditional PIT's 2nd round pick in 2016 or
      TOR's 2nd round pick in 2017
July 28, 2015[65]To Vancouver Canucks
Brandon Sutter
BUF's 3rd round pick in 2016
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Nick Bonino
Adam Clendening
ANA's 2nd round pick in 2016
December 14, 2015[66]To Chicago Blackhawks
Rob Scuderi[Note 2]
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Trevor Daley
January 16, 2016[67]To Anaheim Ducks
David Perron
Adam Clendening
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Carl Hagelin
February 27, 2016[68]To Edmonton Oilers
3rd round pick in 2016
To Pittsburgh Penguins
Justin Schultz[Note 3]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
to be fair...3 of the trades were with idiot GMs. two are in the Western conference and the Leafs were overjoyed at the prospect of trading Kessel for pennies to the dollar. they also parlayed that 1st rnd pick to get the Anderssen, who i don't love, but his regular season #s last year were above average.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
to be fair...3 of the trades were with idiot GMs. two are in the Western conference and the Leafs were overjoyed at the prospect of trading Kessel for pennies to the dollar. they also parlayed that 1st rnd pick to get the Anderssen, who i don't love, but his regular season #s last year were above average.
Still smart of Pittsburgh to make those deals no matter how foolish the other GMs were or how it worked out for the other teams in the end. It worked out for Pittsburgh - 2 Cups aren't erased by Jack Johnson. And at, what, $3.5M AAV? It's approximately the Mark Stuart deal - which was still awful, but not crippling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad