HF Habs: Out of Town Thread: 2024 Playoff Edition

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Also because Hughes can't score a goal, ever.
Dude, he's 6th in goals for dmen in the regular season this year.

Pettersson’s playoffs should show people what lighter talented players can and cannot do in the postseason. Woof he was bad.
I mean it could very well be a one time thing, he was sensational in his first playoffs. Big gritty Matthew Tkachuk was dog shit for the Flames in the playoffs and look at him with the Panthers. If it's a pattern with Pettersson in the future, then I'd agree.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Dude, he's 6th in goals for dmen in the regular season this year.

I mean it could very well be a one time thing, he was sensational in his first playoffs. Big gritty Matthew Tkachuk was dog shit for the Flames in the playoffs and look at him with the Panthers. If it's a pattern with Pettersson in the future, then I'd agree.
Rational, calm, evidence-based analysis is not welcomed!

Nevermind what Patrick Kane, the light and talented Patrick Kane, can and cannot do in the postseason. There are simply physical limitations -- if you're under 6' and 225 lbs, you're basically useless!

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Rational, calm, evidence-based analysis is not welcomed!

Nevermind what Patrick Kane, the light and talented Patrick Kane, can and cannot do in the postseason. There are simply physical limitations -- if you're under 6' and 225 lbs, you're basically useless!
While I do think the size concern is definitely amplified in the playoffs, I'm not sure why Marner is always used as an example but Matthews who's a big dude isn't. It really does depend how competitive the player is. Even though he's stocky for his size, Marchessault is still a light guy compared to most NHLers but he's an absolute bull dog who's been money in the playoffs. Pettersson's been really bad since his extension, it's not just a playoff thing. I'd say it's more likely that he bounces back in future playoff series than he doesn't.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
While I do think the size concern is definitely amplified in the playoffs, I'm not sure why Marner is always used as an example but Matthews who's a big dude isn't. It really does depend how competitive the player is. Even though he's stocky for his size, Marchessault is still a light guy compared to most NHLers but he's an absolute bull dog who's been money in the playoffs. Pettersson's been really bad since his extension, it's not just a playoff thing. I'd say it's more likely that he bounces back in future playoff series than he doesn't.
>I'm not sure why Marner is always used as an example but Matthews who's a big dude isn't.

For the same reason certain commentators compare Michkov to Gaudreau but not to Kucherov or Kane. Because being both unimaginative and self-convinced, they think everyone else is as incurious as themselves.

Pettersson's not fully arrived as a superstar and the decline since his contract was signed is unfortunate but if you're going to bet on any NHL player hitting that level, it would be silly to bet against on the 25 year old career PPG+ player with 24 in 30 playoff games. The Canucks weren't even meant to be a Cup Contender this year. They'll hit next year with a different mentality and expectations and we'll see how it shakes out.

Reactions: The Great Weal

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
For the same reason certain commentators compare Michkov to Gaudreau but not to Kucherov or Kane. Because being both unimaginative and self-convinced, they think everyone else is as incurious as themselves.
Even just discussing this size thing, I remember getting into arguments saying that I'd much rather have Keller over PLD last year because the difference in compete level is drastically different. Big guys with below average compete are essentially useless.
Pettersson's not fully arrived as a superstar and the decline since his contract was signed is unfortunate but if you're going to bet on any NHL player hitting that level, it would be silly to bet against on the 25 year old career PPG+ player with 24 in 30 playoff games. The Canucks weren't even meant to be a Cup Contender this year. They'll hit next year with a different mentality and expectations and we'll see how it shakes out.
If I'm the Canucks I'm trading Hronek, the guy was completely awful in the playoffs. I don't get the Hughes criticism, he was overworked like crazy because everyone else not named Zadorov sucked. It's really tough news about Boeser, hopefully he comes back healthy. Demko's injury concerns are real but I think they should still receive good enough goaltending. Their depth is going to take a big hit. Joshua/Zadorov/Lindholm are all due for massive raises compared to what they were getting before. The thing they will have going for them is that their division is really bad. I think only the Oilers and Knights are locks at making the playoffs next year.

Last edited:

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Oilers got by against a shorthanded team, but they still looked fragile as f*** when playing with the lead.

The stars are going to expose them, and their fanbase will realize they are no closer to the cup than a couple years ago.

Skinner stinking cost the Oilers two games. It would have never gone to seven with adequate goaltending.

He's part of the team. He's there because pickard is an ahler and they bet on Jack Campbell and lost.... it's one of their big problems.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
That's a very bold claim. He was one of the best players in this series for both teams.
All I'm saying is I saw him get blown up multiple times as players hit way more in playoffs, and while he wasn't Marner or anything, I don't think he wasn't as effective as regular season.
Size itself isn't the full thing to determine how effective a player is in playoffs, but rather how they play, aka Gally is small but can still thrive.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
As far as I’m concerned this was a hugely successful season for the Canucks. Great year and they almost made the third round despite some key losses. Edmonton’s experience won the day and while it may be painful now the Canucks will learn from this.

It’ll be interesting to see if Edmonton can finally pull it off. I think they might be able to get past Dallas but I don’t think they match up well against the Rangers - should they make it.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
All I'm saying is I saw him get blown up multiple times as players hit way more in playoffs, and while he wasn't Marner, he wasn't as effective as regular season.
Size itself isn't the full thing to determine how effective a player is in playoffs, but rather how they play, aka Gally is small but can still thrive.
Yeah as mentioned, I thought he was one of the best players in the series and he and Zadorov were alone in the backend. Soucy/Cole are big boys who got exposed badly even if they didn't get "blown up" as much as Hughes.

Gallagher is a massive playoff disappointment, he's got 31 points in 71 games. Those are brutal numbers. He's not an example I would use when thinking of small guys who thrive when it matters. Not to mention that he gets absolutely manhandled with ease.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Yeah as mentioned, I thought he was one of the best players in the series and he and Zadorov were alone in the backend. Soucy/Cole are big boys who got exposed badly even if they didn't get "blown up" as much as Hughes.

Gallagher is a massive playoff disappointment, he's got 31 points in 71 games. Those are brutal numbers. He's not an example I would use when thinking of small guys who thrive when it matters. Not to mention that he gets absolutely manhandled with ease.
True - it is a dip below his regular season - should have used a better example to say
how style of play is more important than strictly size for playoff success

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Such a disappointing game 7. The Canucks as usual took too long to wake up. I was really hoping they'd let loose on Skinner. I appreciate the gameplan to maintain possession and limit low quality shots, but strategies like that are manipulatable, and an opponent can game things to run out the clock and force things at the end of games.

The Canucks should've started blasting shots at puck drop and I bet it would've caught the Oil off guard, maybe a goal would come out of it. But it would've set a better tone for the Canucks to control the game, at home, with the crowd etc.

Garland was awesome the whole series, and I thought Petterson wasn't great but wasn't horrid either. Silovs did all he could. I think if Boeser was in this could've been a different story. But in the end, Canucks left it too late, and the Oilers deserve to move on.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I both predicted and wanted Oilers to win the cup this year - glad they're in the final 4. I always like Rangers - don't really care about Dallas and definitely don't want Florida winning.

It's fun to see McDavid and Draisaitl - and now also Bouchard - put on an offensive show in the playoffs. I really hope they reach round 4, I legitimately think one of Drai or McDavid will make a race at Gretzky's 47 point record. And if they end up falling short of outright beating it, good chance they both still surpass 40+ points, as only the 3rd and 4th players in history to do so after Gretzky and Lemieux.

Right now Draisaitl has 24 points in 12 games, 2 points a game. Oilers can play a maximum of 26 games, or a minimum of 20 games if they reach round 4. At his current scoring pace, that's anywhere from 40 to 52 points.

Long way to go - but I'd love to see Oilers continue to do well

Reactions: Kerberos

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
That’s gold coming from you of all people :laugh:
I was too stats focused and didn’t count on Slafkovsky’s intangibles making a big difference in his growth trajectory. What’s your excuse for cooking up conspiracy theories to smear players you happen to dislike? Is that evidence-based?

• Wow
Reactions: nicehiss

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Not sure what Tkachuk has anything to do with the argument. I’m talking about Pettersson. His first playoffs, 10 of his 18 points were on the PP. Something was off here and he seemed to get pushed around way too easily.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Is there even such a thing?

I think it’s more of a thirst for anything with a pulse offensively, something I figure you’d agree with; the need for a more firepower.

Oh yeah, there's a thing. You can't even say Michkov skips breakfast from time to time without some guys based in Russia jumping down your throat.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Pettersson’s playoffs should show people what lighter talented players can and cannot do in the postseason. Woof he was bad.
he has brutal, totally agree.
postseason you need players that will go the extra mile, take the hit, make the play...
KH needs to build the team with this in mind, which I think he is.
reg season players may not be playoff warriors

Reactions: windycity

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
As far as I’m concerned this was a hugely successful season for the Canucks. Great year and they almost made the third round despite some key losses. Edmonton’s experience won the day and while it may be painful now the Canucks will learn from this.

It’ll be interesting to see if Edmonton can finally pull it off. I think they might be able to get past Dallas but I don’t think they match up well against the Rangers - should they make it.

I actually envisioned a canucks/oilers matchup for much of the season. And I had the Canucks to beat them

However, after seeing demko go down, and then pettersson not playing anywhere near the level he can or needed to be down the stretch, I reverted to picking the oilers just before the series began.

However, it still turned out to be a difficult task for the oilers. Granted, svilovs fared much better than I thought it would go, but pettersson never did get it going, then boeser was the final nail.... just too many obstacles to overcome for the Canucks by the end of it.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Such a disappointing game 7. The Canucks as usual took too long to wake up. I was really hoping they'd let loose on Skinner. I appreciate the gameplan to maintain possession and limit low quality shots, but strategies like that are manipulatable, and an opponent can game things to run out the clock and force things at the end of games.

The Canucks should've started blasting shots at puck drop and I bet it would've caught the Oil off guard, maybe a goal would come out of it. But it would've set a better tone for the Canucks to control the game, at home, with the crowd etc.

Garland was awesome the whole series, and I thought Petterson wasn't great but wasn't horrid either. Silovs did all he could. I think if Boeser was in this could've been a different story. But in the end, Canucks left it too late, and the Oilers deserve to move on.

This was the story for much of the series. Oilers would often take control, but if they got a lead, they have no idea how to hold it, and then they would end up rattled and out of sorts the moment a puck went in against them.

I know it's not easy to play with the lead these days, but its typically a mark of a champion to be able to lock things down, and they just don't have it.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I actually envisioned a canucks/oilers matchup for much of the season. And I had the Canucks to beat them

However, after seeing demko go down, and then pettersson not playing anywhere near the level he can or needed to be down the stretch, I reverted to picking the oilers just before the series began.

However, it still turned out to be a difficult task for the oilers. Granted, svilovs fared much better than I thought it would go, but pettersson never did get it going, then boeser was the final nail.... just too many obstacles to overcome for the Canucks by the end of it.
Demko was a big loss. Border in game 7… brutal. As for Pettersen I’ve gotta think he’s hurt or something, he dropped right off.

Maybe he’s the second coming of Marner but I think it’s way too early to say that now.

Reactions: Andrei79

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Demko was a big loss. Border in game 7… brutal. As for Pettersen I’ve gotta think he’s hurt or something, he dropped right off.

Maybe he’s the second coming of Marner but I think it’s way too early to say that now.
YA good point.. time will tell and if he was hurt? that could be it too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad