Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

civic204

Jun 1, 2012
Tavares is meeting with 6 teams, including Dallas. Would be nice to if he signed elsewhere.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Tavares probably makes at least $10MM

Teams will offer 7 years.

$70MM

Toronto ruomoured to offer $15MM x 1.

Contracts are guaranteed. Tavares would be taking $5MM today while risking $60MM.

I get that linking everything to Toronto generates clicks and therefore ad revenue, but it just doesn't make sense to me that a player would risk a 1 year deal, regardless of $$.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Speculation that leafs may sign him for 1 year for crazy money.

Seravalli wrote a piece on that. Don't know if it comes from anywhere else. It is not well thought out. He didn't complete the simplest arithmetic.

Leafs would be nuts to go hard for Tavares with Matthews and Kadri already there. They wouldn't be able to afford a team to support them. Well, afford is the wrong word. They have barrels of money but the same cap as everyone else.

This is just another chapter in the "Everyone Wants to Be In Toronto" saga.

If Tavares wants a big income next season he is in a position to negotiate a 15 mil salary in the first season of his 7 year, 70+ mil contract.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If Tavares signs in Toronto for that 7/70 who are they going to end up losing? They still have to play under the cap like the rest of the league.

I get the Toronto media but in my mind that means they're likely losing Marner. Not that Marner is going to get $10, rather they can't afford everyone of their young guns. Tavares might well be worth that but I don't see Toronto as being one piece away from the Cup. Their D isn't really there and I don't have that much faith in their goaltending either.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
White Out MB
There is no reason in the world that John Tavares would sign a 1 year contract, financially it makes no sense as much as some of the fans and media in Toronto would have you think, he's kicking the free agent tires and it wouldn't surprise me if he signs with the NYI for 8 years.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
There is no reason in the world that John Tavares would sign a 1 year contract, financially it makes no sense as much as some of the fans and media in Toronto would have you think, he's kicking the free agent tires and it wouldn't surprise me if he signs with the NYI for 8 years.

I think Lou will make an offer as good as any other, or very close but it will be for 8 years instead of 7. And the Isles are home to him. They have an arena fix on the way and have shown that they are serious about contending.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm also in the camp that believes Tavaris is going to re-sign with the Islanders. This is likely just his agent saying that he owes it to himself to see what's out there.

Yea you never know once it gets to the interview process John might see something from another team that blows him away and he may be swayed to move on but if I was betting I would say Lou and Trotz will close the deal but they better bring the big Cheque book. John has ignited a bidding war and he is going to get overpaid and that is coming from someone who loves JT.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If you're Toronto, you trade Nylander to keep other important players in Toronto and allow yourself to improve at D.

If you're Toronto and you sign Tavares, you trade Nylander yesterday and laugh.

Reactions: jetsforever

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Ottawa's current D depth chart without EK:

Chabot-Ceci (RFA and going to be overpaid as f***)
Borowiecki-Wideman
Wolanin-Harpur

If there has ever been a team to relegate, here's a pretty good candidate.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
And the Avs have their first round pick next year. FML if we have to deal with Hughes MacKinnon for the next decade+.

That’s why before the draft I felt the Sens should have been looking to add some proven NHL talent like a Myers and Perreault to help them finish the season as best as possible and they could still flip Myers to recoup a first rounder. That #22 overall would have been good value for Myers. Even the #26 after they swapped with the NYR.

Now. I just don’t see how they stay out of the league cellar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad