Around the League 2017-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

Ottawa obviously wants their 2019 first back if he's already shot down their best offer. I assume if he goes to Colorado they'd have to move one of Barrie or Johnson for more forward depth. This is an interesting scenario because of that 2019 first rounder, how much does Colorado need to add to that, do they even add anything significant?

With Dallas they'd obviously need to get rid of Spezza, but Seguin is a UFA next year, can they afford Karlsson? I can't see them able to take on the Bobby Ryan contract with Seguin's renewal in mind.

How many top 4 d-men do the Ducks need?

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
if you're Ottawa, you're likely best to trade Karlsson before the trade deadline. will probably get an equivalent return and you will also delay any further perceptions that they're a sinking ship

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I doubt this will be an issue.

Leafs' offense is going to be dynamite. Question is going to continue to be around defense. Imagine that D if Rielly and/or Gardiner is injured.
for those that doubt that Matthews will be an issue...there's the much-publicized report that Matthews was very upset about his useage in the playoffs and that Babcock had to fly to Matthews' home to have a face-to-face.

so yeah, i can see this being an issue. which centre do you put on at crunch time? who gets paid more next year? etc etc

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
Ottawa has absolutely no leverage. They're in such a bad position that they probably won't get Heiskanen. With Karlsson negotiating extensions with teams, it's almost like he's a UFA. He decides where he goes.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ottawa has absolutely no leverage. They're in such a bad position that they probably won't get Heiskanen. With Karlsson negotiating extensions with teams, it's almost like he's a UFA. He decides where he goes.
But they do have some leverage... 8th contract year, is one. Also, different teams might have a different willingness to pay. There will be some competition between attractive teams.

Still, you really wonder about a team like the Sens (or the Isles) getting stuck in this circumstance with a franchise player. Isles lost Tavares for nothing, and Sens are going to get much less than they could have a year ago. They clearly over-estimated their ability to re-sign these UFAs.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
@Whileee I think it would really suck to lose Karlsson or Tavares I do think the Sens will get a decent return under tough circumstances. I think it would have been tough to trade him coming off a near cup final.

That being said between this and the F’ing Kings lopsided payment for Dutch you really have to shake your head.

Isles loss is worse than the Suter loss in Nashville......to end up with zero for your franchise player is beyond brutal.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
@Whileee I think it would really suck to lose Karlsson or Tavares I do think the Sens will get a decent return under tough circumstances. I think it would have been tough to trade him coming off a near cup final.

That being said between this and the F’ing Kings lopsided payment for Dutch you really have to shake your head.

Isles loss is worse than the Suter loss in Nashville......to end up with zero for your franchise player is beyond brutal.
Garth Snow ran that club into the ground as did GMs before him. They made some brutal moves. I'm sure they'll get it right going forward but how do they get rid of that Ladd contract?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
But they do have some leverage... 8th contract year, is one. Also, different teams might have a different willingness to pay. There will be some competition between attractive teams.

Still, you really wonder about a team like the Sens (or the Isles) getting stuck in this circumstance with a franchise player. Isles lost Tavares for nothing, and Sens are going to get much less than they could have a year ago. They clearly over-estimated their ability to re-sign these UFAs.

You really need a GM that is good at reading the tea leaves. A player of that caliber should never leave the team for nothing. If the NYI had even a hint that he wouldn't re-sign, they should have traded Tavares last season.

And for the Jets, I can see us heading for the same situation with Wheeler. 91 point season going into the last year of your contract... JMO, but pretty sure Wheeler's agent is telling the Jets to let's just see how things go and we don't want to talk contract during the season underway. Talk about after the season.

Last edited:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
So what do people think it will cost them:

Faska, Ritchie, Heiskenen and two 1sts is my guess.
You'd almost have to think one of Benn, Klingberg or Seguin must be included in the return as Dallas doesn't have the greatest other players to trade for a player of this magnitude especially if he extends.
Faksa, Klingberg, 1st, 2 second rounders ??

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
So what do people think it will cost them:

Faska, Ritchie, Heiskenen and two 1sts is my guess.

None of Faksa, Heiskanen, Lindell or Klingberg (lolol). Ottawa is in a bad position.

My guess based on the info that's out there: Honka, Shore, 1st.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
You really need a GM that is good at reading the tea leaves. A player of that caliber should never leave the team for nothing. If the NYI had even a hint that he wouldn't re-sign, they should have traded Tavares last season.

And for the Jets, I can see us heading for the same situation with Wheeler. 91 point season going into the last year of your contract... JMO, but pretty sure Wheeler's agent is telling the Jets to let's just see how things go and we don't want to talk contract during the season underway. Talk about after the season.
Yes, I'm worried that Wheeler will just play things out this season and then have the Jets over a barrel. I think Chevy and the Jets should offer a healthy long-term deal this summer, and if Wheeler won't sign, they should think seriously about options.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
None of Faksa, Heiskanen, Lindell or Klingberg (lolol). Ottawa is in a bad position.

Price will be set by the under bidder. If Vegas makes a strong pitch, it will drive up the cost.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

That would be awful. Remember, if the team really wants him they'll have to up the offer.
What about Vegas, what would they give up?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I think there was talk of Edmonton picking Ryan Murray - they had a pretty decent forward group at that time (Hall, RNH, Eberle) but were weak on D. The rumour is that Katz overruled the Oilers scouts (who presumably wanted Murray) to take Yak.

Yeah, I recall the Katz rumour. That was a strange draft. They would have had to skip over the first 4 taken to get to the first good one. :laugh: Galchenyuk was in there and hasn't been bad - just not the C he was supposed to be.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
It most certainly will be awful.
As we heard around the deadline, not Cody Glass.
Theodore, Suzuki and a first maybe there.
Reports say Honka instead of Heiskanen from Dallas, I'd go to Vegas offer if I'm Ottawa.
If it were jets that would be like Niku, Appleton plus a first?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Theodore, Suzuki and a first maybe there.
Reports say Honka instead of Heiskanen from Dallas, I'd go to Vegas offer if I'm Ottawa.
If it were jets that would be like Niku, Appleton plus a first?
aren't Theodore and Suzuki and closer to Morrissey and Vesalanien

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad