Around the League 18: Kovalchuk Employment Edition/Lavi, Gallant, & Ray Shero Unemployment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
So... Georgiev on the move?

Whether Georgiev is dealt or not, they need another goalie in the AHL and that won’t be Georgiev. So this deal is needed for depth because the Rangers will either make a deal or keep 3 goalies up the rest of the season.

Reactions: DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
We really needed the Hawks to win tonight to help keep the Rangers at bay.

I'll say this about the Rangers the same way I said it about the Flyers last season. If we get caught from behind, we're already out of the playoffs. No point worrying about the Rangers.

NYR is making the Playoffs this year if Shesterkin stays healthy. He is that good and the Rangers play a lot of Metro teams.

I see where you're going, but Shesterkin is still a 24-year-old rookie with a recent ankle injury. I don't think you can ride him like you can a hot Lundqvist, for example. Having said that, Georgiev is no picnic.

Certainly not impossible, but I'm still going to say next year is the year. Hopefully we perform better against him Friday than we have typically against Lundqvist should he play.

It's at least possible that we've seen the last of Lundqvist in the NHL. He's only got two starts since a 5-2 loss at St. Louis on Jan. 11, and got yanked in the second one. Shesterkin has been lights-out since his debut Jan. 7, and Quinn considers him the undisputed No. 1. When Shesterkin had to miss two games with an ankle injury, Georgiev went back-to-back @MIN and @CLB and won both.

He has also shown no interest in being traded, so I don't see where he fits. Even if he did want to move, I'm not sure how a contender can trade for him. He's only played 225 minutes this calendar year.

So... Georgiev on the move?

I doubt it very seriously. I think the Rangers are set with Shesterkin/Georgiev for the next 8-10 years and they'll buy out Hank this summer.

C'mon Kev, this year and last year are the anomalies in the history of Canes-dom. How many times have we said, "...if only we could beat the teams we're supposed to beat....". That was the joke...which, after all, it was. :D

Sorry, didn't mean to pick on you. Sometimes, I just use a quote as an on-ramp for a comment. Didn't mean to target you.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think the Rangers are set with Shesterkin/Georgiev for the next 8-10 years and they'll buy out Hank this summer.
The only thing I disagree with you on is how long they can keep both players. The contracts they will both command, plus the others that the Rangers have and will have, won't allow this. I think that is why they are willing to move Georgiev now...they know he has a good value now and they can't keep him long term anyway.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
C'mon Kev, this year and last year are the anomalies in the history of Canes-dom. How many times have we said, "...if only we could beat the teams we're supposed to beat....". That was the joke...which, after all, it was. :D
Huh? We were a bottom dweller that picked in the top ten for a lot of those seasons. For a stretch from 2010 through 2015 we had the 7th, 12th, 5th, 7th and 5th selection in the draft. The Canes WERE the team that other teams were supposed to beat.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
The only thing I disagree with you on is how long they can keep both players. The contracts they will both command, plus the others that the Rangers have and will have, won't allow this. I think that is why they are willing to move Georgiev now...they know he has a good value now and they can't keep him long term anyway.

I don't think Georgiev has the value around the league that he does on message boards. I think most teams value him as a legit backup, and that's why he hasn't been traded yet. If that's all the Rags are going to get for him, might as well keep him as the backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad