Around the League 18: Kovalchuk Employment Edition/Lavi, Gallant, & Ray Shero Unemployment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Despite the Lindblom and Patrick situations, the Flyers have had a much healthier roster, relatively speaking, and Hayes has been a very good addition, at least for this year. I therefore see them making the playoffs pretty easily, though my optimistic self thinks that the Canes will pass the Flyers in the end and secure that #3 spot.

Well we know this. They missed last year so they pretty much have to make the playoffs, otherwise the city of Philadelphia will cease to exist.

I mean, I'd miss the cheesesteaks but that kind of sounds like fun.

Reactions: DaveG

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Also, it's injuries like Dougie's and Seth Jones's that show why the Canes have been hoarding defensemen for the entire year. Even with a team as well-conditioned and as ironmen-like as we've been the whole year (a huge reason why we've been able to milk so much cap space despite our cap-ceiling roster), you just don't know what the future holds.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Tough 4 games coming up for the Canes.

- Rangers always give us a really tough time
- Toronto on the backend of a back to back. Toronto will be fresh. Also on Toronto ice.
- Dallas who's 7-1-2 in their last 10 and kicked our ass a few weeks ago.
- Colorado strong solid hockey team

Following those (4) games the boys go on a (6) game long road trip. Big games against the Flyers & Isles, one game against Pitt, and some hopefully winnable games against New Jersey & Detroit.

These 10 games are going to be a big test the boys.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
I could just be talking out of my ass but wouldn't we prefer the Jackets? Seems to me the Flyers are more vulnerable of the two. I'm convinced the Jackets are a playoff team no matter what at this point, Flyers not so much.

Edit: Oh yeah, I forgot Seth Jones is out. Still though, I think C-Bus pulls through and gets a spot somehow.

I think CBJ is more vulnerable...especially when Elvis stops getting a shutout in 50% of his starts. Add that to no Jones and ...

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Tough 4 games coming up for the Canes.

- Rangers always give us a really tough time
- Toronto on the backend of a back to back. Toronto will be fresh. Also on Toronto ice.
- Dallas who's 7-1-2 in their last 10 and kicked our ass a few weeks ago.
- Colorado strong solid hockey team

Following those (4) games the boys go on a (6) game long road trip. Big games against the Flyers & Isles, one game against Pitt, and some hopefully winnable games against New Jersey & Detroit.

These 10 games are going to be a big test the boys.

Rantanen out 2-3 weeks. Although Col will be a little harder to defend with an upgraded second line. Can't just pair Slavin - Pesce and stick them to MacKinnon's hip.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Bjorkstrand out 8-10 weeks. I feel for him and the Blue Jackets, but I do hope it helps us out.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Bjorkstrand out 8-10 weeks. I feel for him and the Blue Jackets, but I do hope it helps us out.

The amount of injuries that they have is insane. But I do wonder if having the right trainer in place makes the difference in injury prevention? Having the players do the proper stretching and working out before games?

We’ve had a few injuries, but over the past couple of seasons our teams have stayed pretty dang healthy. I recall during the Friesen days, injuries felt like more of a common occurrence. Maybe we’ve just been lucky?

Reactions: cptjeff

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
So I know it’s fashionable to get mad about the standings and playoff structure lately.

But I want to point out something funny. Columbus (admittedly, having played 3 more games) has a 30-32 record and is ahead of Carolina who has a 34-25 record. Hilarious.
They've been great recently, so not the case now, but most of the year we were dead even with Boston in wins and losses, but like 12 points behind because they lost many of their games 0-5 minutes later than we did.

Reactions: DaveG

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I prefer to have them win third in the Atlantic and force the Leafs (and their 1st) out of the playoffs.

At this point, wouldn't having the Leafs unprotected 2021 first be a ton of fun? Imagine the Leafs board after they lose the first game or two of the season.

I mean, we're talking a pick between 11-15 overall this year. Granted, it's a deep draft and there are some fun guys in the middle-10, but it would be worth it, IMO.

If they were to miss next season, you would absolute have to *know* that ping-pong ball is getting picked. The City of Toronto might burn down.

Last edited:

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
At this point, wouldn't having the Leafs unprotected 2021 first be a ton of fun? Imagine the Leafs board after they lose the first game or two of the season.

I mean, we're talking a pick between 11-15 overall this year. Granted, it's a deep draft and there are some fun guys in the middle-10, but it would be worth it, IMO.

If they were to miss next season, you would absolute have to *know* that ping-pong ball is getting picked. The City of Toronto might burn down.

Don't you dare try to destroy my fantasy of picking up Anton Lundell and Jack Quinn this year...no telling what might befall if the Canes end up not trading the TOR pick and it falling to next year...

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

This happened, remember? Seguin and the whole thing. Team that did it to them won the Cup the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad