Around the League 18: Kovalchuk Employment Edition/Lavi, Gallant, & Ray Shero Unemployment Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
At this point, wouldn't having the Leafs unprotected 2021 first be a ton of fun? Imagine the Leafs board after they lose the first game or two of the season.

I mean, we're talking a pick between 11-15 overall this year. Granted, it's a deep draft and there are some fun guys in the middle-10, but it would be worth it, IMO.

If they were to miss next season, you would absolute have to *know* that ping-pong ball is getting picked. The City of Toronto might burn down.
Nope, I want it this year. I want that superstar goalie. And his stock is slipping just a little bit. He very much could be there in that range. Watching every damn team seem to luck into a cheap goalie that is better than ours for a decade has been no fun. I want it to be our turn this year.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
There are a number of prospects this year in a pretty good draft I'm interested in that fall in the likely range of their pick. Anything can happen, but I just don't see the pick being better for us next year.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Nope, I want it this year. I want that superstar goalie. And his stock is slipping just a little bit. He very much could be there in that range. Watching every damn team seem to luck into a cheap goalie that is better than ours for a decade has been no fun. I want it to be our turn this year.

I saw on The Draft Analyst that Askarov has played 1 VHL/KHL game since leaving for the WJC camp on December 9th. One game in over 2 months outside of the recent Five Nations tournament where he was so-so. I'd be fine with the Canes taking a swing on him if he drops. He just might with such a weird Draft year.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
what exactly are the conditions of the leafs pick to us this season? lottery protection? there was a rumor they were looking at trading their 2021 1st. would that mean the 2020 defaults to us automatically?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
what exactly are the conditions of the leafs pick to us this season? lottery protection? there was a rumor they were looking at trading their 2021 1st. would that mean the 2020 defaults to us automatically?
@Lempo was already asked about this and I can't recall his answer. I do believe that if Toronto traded their 2021 1st it would have to be conditional.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If 2020 1st is top 10 we get 2021 1st instead. Because of this they can't trade their currently encumbered 2021st (the Central Registry won't accept the trade causing a scenario where one pick could be going to two different trading partners).

There is no defaulting on existing conditional trade, or (I'm pretty sure) renogotiating it. TML would have to get the pick back from us in a follow-up trade. Like giving TML 2020 1st 11-31 protected for our conditional TML 2021 1st (so effectively we would get the full 2020 1st and they got their 2021 1st for themselves again).

Last edited:

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
This happened, remember? Seguin and the whole thing. Team that did it to them won the Cup the next year.

Yeah, but that didn't benefit *us*. That would make it infinitely better.

If 2020 1st is top 10 we get 2021 1st instead. Because of this they can't trade their currently encumbered 2021st (the Central Registry won't accept the trade causing a scenario where one pick could be going to two different trading partners).

This is how I understand it as well. My guess is that the Leafs *could* trade their 2021 first on the condition that they have it and a 2022 if they don't, but I don't think anybody's going to be interested.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Of course, they could go around our trade and give someone in other trade 2020 1st (top 10) or alternatively conditional 2021 1st (if 2020 1st is not in top 10). So effectively mirror our trade so that either trade won't get in each other's way.

Reactions: cptjeff

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Mikko Koivu is apparently being shopped around as a rental for a contender, but he would have to allow it because of his NMC. We did talk of this previously but apparently so is The Athletic now too.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Mikko Koivu is apparently being shopped around as a rental for a contender, but he would have to allow it because of his NMC. We did talk of this previously but apparently so is The Athletic now too.

I would SO much love for Mikko to come over to the Canes. It's not going to happen, but he's been my favorite non-Canes player for the longest time. Even have his name/number on my Wild jersey.

Plus, it's got to balance out. We gave them Eric, they have to give us Mikko.

Reactions: Lempo

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I'm interested in players that would make our team better. Koivu, while an experienced veteran presence, is not that guy. Even comatose Eric is a better and probably more realistic option at this point.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I would SO much love for Mikko to come over to the Canes. It's not going to happen, but he's been my favorite non-Canes player for the longest time. Even have his name/number on my Wild jersey.

I wonder if they would like Haula back.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

You think that, until he becomes a second Jordan Staal getting 18 min a night from RBA and Aho barely sees the ice.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
0649289C-5EFD-43BE-AA4A-015FC5E0316C.jpeg

I don’t have a picture of my Koivu jersey on this device, but I did find this picture, which is just as good. Also almost a decade old, which saddens me to think about, so I won’t.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
View attachment 325185

I don’t have a picture of my Koivu jersey on this device, but I did find this picture, which is just as good. Also almost a decade old, which saddens me to think about, so I won’t.

Jeff Skinners NHL debut. Think he had the winning shootout goal in the first game. IIRC something like 500 of our fans went to that, the NHL said something to the effect that they had never had a number of fans travel like that before for one of these events.

Shame that team failed to make the playoffs on the last day. That was actually a fun season otherwise, with Raleigh hosting the All-Star game, the Checkers upgraded to the AHL, 18 y/o Skinner putting on a show, even Brandon Sutter was becoming a player to watch. But, it ended in disappointment.

Blueline Bomber

Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So I watched the 700 goals compilation for OV that the NHL put on their YT channel.

Canes are a rather frequent victim early on, but seemed to have stymied him after 250 or so. Occassional goal here and there, but nothing major. Until about 600, where we started becoming victims again.

Islanders and Rangers seemed to be his most frequent victims, from what I could tell. Montreal was up there as well.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad