Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
In Dean's early years the Kings traded roster players other teams found desirable to acquire picks and prospects. He then replaced those he traded with lesser veteran players in order to get higher draft picks with his own picks. This is what it will take again for the Kings to get back into contention 5-6 years down the road.

The Kings should have been honest with everyone and started over in 2017 when Dean and Sutter were fired and done just what you said, although I think 5-6 is more like 3-4 with how little pro development these kids need these days. So many of these 19 and 20 year old guys are plug and play scoring line players and top 4 d-man.

I feel like the Kings have a small but loyal following that would have understood and accepted that, yeah they would have maybe lost some of the newer fans who hopped on in 2013-2014 but they may lose them anyways as the Kings return to the black hole, especially with the return to relevance of the Lakers. In Chicago both baseball teams have basically done this, and it's worked out well for the Cubs while the White Sox are still in rebuilding mode but loaded with good prospects.

Reactions: KINGS17

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
The Kings should have been honest with everyone and started over in 2017 when Dean and Sutter were fired and done just what you said, although I think 5-6 is more like 3-4 with how little pro development these kids need these days. So many of these 19 and 20 year old guys are plug and play scoring line players and top 4 d-man.

I feel like the Kings have a small but loyal following that would have understood and accepted that, yeah they would have maybe lost some of the newer fans who hopped on in 2013-2014 but they may lose them anyways as the Kings return to the black hole, especially with the return to relevance of the Lakers. In Chicago both baseball teams have basically done this, and it's worked out well for the Cubs while the White Sox are still in rebuilding mode but loaded with good prospects.

You say so many of these kids 19-20 are plug and play top 2 lines, top 4 dman, I assume you mean....drafted, and insert into the lineup,

I don't believe that, you have your obvious ones, Dahlin, McDavid, etc,

But just look from 2015 and on,

McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Werenski, Hanifin, Provorov, Zacha (think that might have killed him though), Barzal, Boeser, Konecky, Beauviller,

More than I thought in the 1st round, will tell you that,

Less, but there are a few besides the obvious ones,

I think they are starting to trend that way, and I agree they are needed in a cap world, but it's a special player that can do that AND make an impact.

Unfortunately for guys like JAD, they aren't playing him yet, with anyone, I did like that Amadio, JAD, Carter line though.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not saying all kids will come in at 19, that is harder. But kids at 20 (especially high end ones), who have had multiple years in junior or the NCAA are way more likely to make impacts than the same age player would in years passed.

A rebuild is not always going to take 5-6 years anymore.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Not saying all kids will come in at 19, that is harder. But kids at 20 (especially high end ones), who have had multiple years in junior or the NCAA are way more likely to make impacts than the same age player would in years passed.

A rebuild is not always going to take 5-6 years anymore.

Agreed, and going through that, there are ton that came from NCAA...

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Bob Murray knows one thing for sure, how to not overpay players. His trade of Ryan for Rakell was robbery.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I was at the Sharks game last night with a friend and I was frustrated all night long watching the Sharks just be incredibly efficient in the offensive zone and I was talking about the Kings and said watching the Kings play offense is like getting your teeth pulled

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I was at the Sharks game last night with a friend and I was frustrated all night long watching the Sharks just be incredibly efficient in the offensive zone and I was talking about the Kings and said watching the Kings play offense is like getting your teeth pulled
Don't be ridiculous. Getting your teeth pulled at least results in something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad