Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The Caps didn’t seem to have much of a choice given what slim pickings are out there, plus I figured someone out there in the open market would’ve given him a similar contract with one less year offered.

The cost for top pairing dmen keeps going up. I just hope Doughty will be kept at $11M at most. By the time his extension kicks in, the cap should get to or surpass $82M. By 2019, the Matt Greene buyout number will clear up, and by 2020 the Mike Richards termination penalty of $1.32M will also clear, which frees up an additional $2M+ combined.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
NHL sure is odd... Caps might sign Orpik back?? That's stupid that they're able to. They'll probably sign him for nothing since he's still getting paid from Colorado anyways. Kings should've done that with Vegas. Trade Brown there with a first, have them buy him out, and then re-sign him to $1 million a season.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The Caps didn’t seem to have much of a choice given what slim pickings are out there, plus I figured someone out there in the open market would’ve given him a similar contract with one less year offered.

The cost for top pairing dmen keeps going up. I just hope Doughty will be kept at $11M at most. By the time his extension kicks in, the cap should get to or surpass $82M. By 2019, the Matt Greene buyout number will clear up, and by 2020 the Mike Richards termination penalty of $1.32M will also clear, which frees up an additional $2M+ combined.

2021 is the year our window officially closes, anyway. Brown, Carter, and Kovalchuk contracts will all expire. Kopitar and Quick will be 34.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Given that Kupari turned 18 just recently and was playing as a 17-year old in the top Finnish league against grown men... I'd say the potential is there for him to someday turn into a useful player at the NHL level. He's a teenager with a terrific work ethic and a motor that won't quit. I'd say those are some good qualities to have.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
NHL sure is odd... Caps might sign Orpik back?? That's stupid that they're able to. They'll probably sign him for nothing since he's still getting paid from Colorado anyways. Kings should've done that with Vegas. Trade Brown there with a first, have them buy him out, and then re-sign him to $1 million a season.

For such a favor, all that dead cap space for a decade, Vegas is probably asking for last year's pick since it was pretty high. Maybe more than just the one pick too. For sure though, that means no Vilardi.

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
For such a favor, all that dead cap space for a decade, Vegas is probably asking for last year's pick since it was pretty high. Maybe more than just the one pick too. For sure though, that means no Vilardi.
Ok well, maybe not Brown then but whoever with whichever team. Just seems like such a loophole.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Ok well, maybe not Brown then but whoever with whichever team. Just seems like such a loophole.

I guess it can be, but how often are we seeing teams go through it?

The Caps win the Cup, and get out from Orpik's awful contract free and clear by giving up a backup goalie while getting a pick. The rich just keep getting richer. That's how it goes.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Hard to believe there isn’t a statute of limitations. Didn’t this idea come up with Richards and a bunch of people shot it down?

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Given that Kupari turned 18 just recently and was playing as a 17-year old in the top Finnish league against grown men... I'd say the potential is there for him to someday turn into a useful player at the NHL level. He's a teenager with a terrific work ethic and a motor that won't quit. I'd say those are some good qualities to have.

He’s a perfectly acceptable prospect for where he was drafted.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun
Confirmed teams that John Tavares will meet with this week at CAA offices in L.A.: Dallas, Boston, San Jose, Toronto, Tampa (plus of course NYI). The Tavares camp will also have conversations with 2-3 other teams over the phone and perhaps also meet with 1-2 of them.
---------------
Maybe Vegas isn't getting a face-to-face with JT? I expect he'll return to NYI.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Kings related snippets from the above link:

6. Sometime before Round 2, Montreal went to Max Pacioretty with a trade offer from the Kings. An extension was included. It was time-sensitive, because 2018 draft picks were included. Pacioretty said no, and switched agents to Allan Walsh. Can it be revived? Not sure. I do think the Kings considered adding two scorers, not stopping with Ilya Kovalchuk. But the issue is going to be Pacioretty’s next contract.
I do believe he would like to play in Los Angeles, but would also like to make up for what he left on the table with the Canadiens. LA can’t fit that. Pacioretty is upset and the Canadiens are upset, so even though word was they may keep him now, that’s going to be awkward if it happens. GM Marc Bergevin will revisit this, maybe depending on who misses their target on July 1.

7. There were rumblings Jake Muzzin was part of the Pacioretty trade, but that was denied. The Canadiens are believed to have inquired about Carolina’s Victor Rask.

8. Sounds like Los Angeles will not qualify Tobias Rieder. Acquired from Arizona just before the deadline, he will be a free agent.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Pierre LeBrun‏Verified account @PierreVLeBrun
Confirmed teams that John Tavares will meet with this week at CAA offices in L.A.: Dallas, Boston, San Jose, Toronto, Tampa (plus of course NYI). The Tavares camp will also have conversations with 2-3 other teams over the phone and perhaps also meet with 1-2 of them.
---------------
Maybe Vegas isn't getting a face-to-face with JT? I expect he'll return to NYI.
Anywhere but San Jose.

He should go to Tampa out of those teams.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings related snippets from the above link:

6. Sometime before Round 2, Montreal went to Max Pacioretty with a trade offer from the Kings. An extension was included. It was time-sensitive, because 2018 draft picks were included. Pacioretty said no, and switched agents to Allan Walsh. Can it be revived? Not sure. I do think the Kings considered adding two scorers, not stopping with Ilya Kovalchuk. But the issue is going to be Pacioretty’s next contract.
I do believe he would like to play in Los Angeles, but would also like to make up for what he left on the table with the Canadiens. LA can’t fit that. Pacioretty is upset and the Canadiens are upset, so even though word was they may keep him now, that’s going to be awkward if it happens. GM Marc Bergevin will revisit this, maybe depending on who misses their target on July 1.
The fact that they're even trying to acquire Pacioretty AND give him a contract is very disappointing. I hate reading stuff like this. I hope it's not true.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The fact that they're even trying to acquire Pacioretty AND give him a contract is very disappointing. I hate reading stuff like this. I hope it's not true.

Why? Would you prefer they pull another Lucic and have the player walk away after a year? It makes sense to try to make a sign and trade as opposed to throwing away more assets for a one year rental.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Why? Would you prefer they pull another Lucic and have the player walk away after a year? It makes sense to try to make a sign and trade as opposed to throwing away more assets for a one year rental.
I'm not sure what you're saying here. You think it would have been better to re-sign Lucic? That would have compounded the mistake of acquiring him in the first place.

The Kings should not being giving up futures to acquire Paciorietty. Signing Pacioreitty to a significant contract would exacerbate the mistake of acquiring him in the first place. He'll basically be 31 when his next deal starts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->