Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Actually, if this is the direction they are taking, Blake needs another 5 or 6 like JAD, only better.

No,

They need Tarasenko type picks to turn this roster around. We don't even know if JAD is going to be a solid NHL player. Look at what is happening to Pearson.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
No,

They need Tarasenko type picks to turn this roster around. We don't even know if JAD is going to be a solid NHL player. Look at what is happening to Pearson.
That's why I said, "only better". JAD may or may not turn into something. We probably have a much better read on Amadio at this point. He looks like he could round into a good 3C on a contending team.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Some rumor tidbits and news

Leafs- goalie issues - Remember like last week when the Leafs lost both McElhenny and Pickard on waivers? Well Anderson is hurt and Sparks is the starter with Kasimir Kaskisuo next on the depth chart with ECHL Eamon McAdam (Jeff Glass, the AHL backup is on an AHL only deal)
Well, Kaskisuo is now hurt and Eamon McAdam will be backing up Sparks tonight vs the Kings.
Do the Leafs have any need for Campbell or Budaj?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
It was him or LaDue. I would've picked him but I understand why they didnt sign him.

Stevens' usage is making it pretty clear it shouldn't have been either-or. God forbid we have three righties in the lineup, now we only have two, and half the nights we only have one!

Reactions: resurrected

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Stevens' usage is making it pretty clear it shouldn't have been either-or. God forbid we have three righties in the lineup, now we only have two, and half the nights we only have one!

Just curious, this seems to be a new trend, are you saying that teams that only have two right handed D shots in the lineup can't win at all? Because that's what it feels like, you are bitching about having three righties, when 10 years ago, no one really cared, they wanted the best players in the lineup.

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
Just curious, this seems to be a new trend, are you saying that teams that only have two right handed D shots in the lineup can't win at all? Because that's what it feels like, you are *****ing about having three righties, when 10 years ago, no one really cared, they wanted the best players in the lineup.
I think its partly because we got used to the lefty righty combos under Sutter and partly because we've seen by the eye test and by advanced stats that lefty lefty pairings like Muzzin and Martinez are a hot mess. We all still want the best players in the lineup.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I think its partly because we got used to the lefty righty combos under Sutter and partly because we've seen by the eye test and by advanced stats that lefty lefty pairings like Muzzin and Martinez are a hot mess. We all still want the best players in the lineup.

Until Voynov had to go. After that, whatever L/R combo Sutter threw out there, other than ____/Doughty, didn't really work. The problem is big minute RHD's are in short supply across the league.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Just curious, this seems to be a new trend, are you saying that teams that only have two right handed D shots in the lineup can't win at all? Because that's what it feels like, you are *****ing about having three righties, when 10 years ago, no one really cared, they wanted the best players in the lineup.

10 years ago is an eternity in sports and in systems, come on.

All things being equal--which they are--it's pointless to use your lefties over your righties when you have access to similar players.

I'm not saying they can't win at all, best players will likely win, but you're handicapping some of your best puck movers by putting them on their backhands almost full-time--you can even see forecheckers adjusting for this, but I'm sure you already knew that--and when one of the biggest systematic issues is 'getting puck out of our zone period', it's the low hanging fruit that should be an easy fix if you aren't a simpleton like Stevens.

here I know you're going to be pedantic about it so yes the last decade worth of cup winners has/had at least two prominent righties in their d-core. And even then I don't think it's 'necessary' but why shotgun yourself in the face when an easy solution is right on the table.

I also think we see a move this year getting Muzzin/Martinez out for a similar ability righty pending whatever happens with Voynov.

Last edited:

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
10 years ago is an eternity in sports and in systems, come on.

All things being equal--which they are--it's pointless to use your lefties over your righties when you have access to similar players.

I'm not saying they can't win at all, best players will likely win, but you're handicapping some of your best puck movers by putting them on their backhands almost full-time--you can even see forecheckers adjusting for this, but I'm sure you already knew that--and when one of the biggest systematic issues is 'getting puck out of our zone period', it's the low hanging fruit that should be an easy fix if you aren't a simpleton like Stevens.

here I know you're going to be pedantic about it so yes the last decade worth of cup winners has/had at least two prominent righties in their d-core. And even then I don't think it's 'necessary' but why shotgun yourself in the face when an easy solution is right on the table.

I also think we see a move this year getting Muzzin/Martinez out for a similar ability righty pending whatever happens with Voynov.

See, to me, it's not a big deal, players are taught to rotate their bodies, to get to their forehands, the issues I've seen have nothing to with forehand/backhand, but more time/pressure, and wings being up to high, and not able to get to the puck in time etc, ie, players being out of position etc.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
See, to me, it's not a big deal, players are taught to rotate their bodies, to get to their forehands, the issues I've seen have nothing to with forehand/backhand, but more time/pressure, and wings being up to high, and not able to get to the puck in time etc, ie, players being out of position etc.

I agree with all of that, even the necessary adjustments, I just feel at such a high level minute difference do affect the game, and that we have the opportunity to not put players in a tougher position.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I agree with all of that, even the necessary adjustments, I just feel at such a high level minute difference do affect the game, and that we have the opportunity to not put players in a tougher position.

Agreed, but right now, would you rather have Martinez on his off-side, or force Clague/Brickley into a spot where they might not be ready?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
How do the Ducks keep themselves relevant and competitive year in and year out? What are we not doing that they are?

No emotionally compromised Dean Lombardi for about 18 months? Even messed up twice with Richards. Keeping him in 2014 in the first place, and then the whole questionable getting rid of him mess a year later. If you're going to keep him, keep him. His contract would've ended next year. He might've LTIRetired by now. Might've helped the Kings get some better picks. His contract might've helped to not get Lucic. Instead, there's a seemingly ever lasting monument to Lombardi's poor decision making until the 2030's.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
How do the Ducks keep themselves relevant and competitive year in and year out? What are we not doing that they are?

They are developing players, and keeping their picks,

Look at their roster,

Since 2009

Sami Vatanen - Used to get Adam Henrique

Cam Fowler

Rackell, Gibson, Manson

Lindholm

Theodore - ended up in Vegas for expansion

Ritchie, Montour, Kase

Terry

Steel

Comtois

LA doesn't even compare to that kind of record.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
They are developing players, and keeping their picks,

Look at their roster,

Since 2009

Sami Vatanen - Used to get Adam Henrique

Cam Fowler

Rackell, Gibson, Manson

Lindholm

Theodore - ended up in Vegas for expansion

Ritchie, Montour, Kase

Terry

Steel

Comtois

LA doesn't even compare to that kind of record.

To be fair LA was winning Cups when the Ducks were just outside the lottery picking Lindholm and (lol) Ritchie. So while I totally agree it's not really fair for comparison between LA and ANA but they've certainly done a Sharks-like job of staying competitive though not getting over the hump.

What we--and EVERY org, really--need to learn from is what they're doing with their 2nd and 3rd rounds as well as extremely late firsts, those are when they've been absolutely killing it. You can't really 'plan' for a Kase in the 7th round, that's a prayer, but you CAN hit harder on those 2nds.

Reactions: King Trouty

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
To be fair LA was winning Cups when the Ducks were just outside the lottery picking Lindholm and (lol) Ritchie. So while I totally agree it's not really fair for comparison between LA and ANA but they've certainly done a Sharks-like job of staying competitive though not getting over the hump.

What we--and EVERY org, really--need to learn from is what they're doing with their 2nd and 3rd rounds as well as extremely late firsts, those are when they've been absolutely killing it. You can't really 'plan' for a Kase in the 7th round, that's a prayer, but you CAN hit harder on those 2nds.
This is a very fair assessment. The Ducks never went for it like the Kings did in 2011-12 through 2013-14.

Isn't it time now to get back to what the Kings were doing in the years leading up to 2012?

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
This is a very fair assessment. The Ducks never went for it like the Kings did in 2011-12 through 2013-14.

Isn't it time now to get back to what the Kings were doing in the years leading up to 2012?

The only time the Ducks gave up anything between rounds 1-3--IIRC--is 2017. Really wild if you think about it.

And yeah I mean I think we're doing that, are we not? Blake hasn't given anything up. We don't know what the Pacioretty cost would have been I suppose but acquiring assets like mad is a good start. And the drafts we've had recently look good though they all do so soon, haha. JAD is the youngest person on this roster since Clifford?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The only time the Ducks gave up anything between rounds 1-3--IIRC--is 2017. Really wild if you think about it.

And yeah I mean I think we're doing that, are we not? Blake hasn't given anything up. We don't know what the Pacioretty cost would have been I suppose but acquiring assets like mad is a good start. And the drafts we've had recently look good though they all do so soon, haha. JAD is the youngest person on this roster since Clifford?
In Dean's early years the Kings traded roster players other teams found desirable to acquire picks and prospects. He then replaced those he traded with lesser veteran players in order to get higher draft picks with his own picks. This is what it will take again for the Kings to get back into contention 5-6 years down the road.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
The Ducks draft very well and their internal cap probably prohibits them from making splashes which leads to higher retention of their own prospects.

Thank goodness for their inactivity as they would have most likely taken the Kings out in 2014 if they had a real 2C. Waited until the off season to do it and then went on to two WCFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad