Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Austin Watson pleaded no contest today to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge . Wonder what the league does .

Free Slava

He will be suspended for sure, but people need to stop pretending like the situations are identical. There are varying degrees for the same crime in the eyes of the law, and I'm sure in the eyes of the NHL.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
He will be suspended for sure, but people need to stop pretending like the situations are identical. There are varying degrees for the same crime in the eyes of the law, and I'm sure in the eyes of the NHL.

Without going into the detail on each situation what is worse charges being dismissed vs someone pleading no contest?

I think the Voynov situation is probably worse but in the eyes of the law would charges being dismissed not be better than someone pleading no contest?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Without going into the detail on each situation what is worse charges being dismissed vs someone pleading no contest?

I think the Voynov situation is probably worse but in the eyes of the law would charges being dismissed not be better than someone pleading no contest?

I would say dismissed charges are better.

Reactions: King Trouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Austin Watson pleaded no contest today to a misdemeanor domestic violence charge . Wonder what the league does .

Free Slava

Good on the NHL for jumping immediately into action.

I was going to be irate if they didn't give him the voynov treatment.

It will also be interesting that, in a roundabout way because of how quickly this happened (i.e. no leaving the country), that Watson's potential discipline will set a precedent for Voynov's.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I'm getting pretty f***ing irate at the lack of news regarding Slava.

It's like waiting at the mailbox for my tax return. When the FUKK do we get some news!?

ZIGGY!!!!???? :D

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sorry if this comes across as minimizing what Watson did, but come on guys, read the police reports. One is significantly more disturbing than the other one.

I still remain torn on Voynov, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was banned for good, but if he is allowed back and is going to play I guess I'd rather have him on the Kings than the Kings getting pennies on the dollar for a #2 or 3 defenseman. But I think some people are really letting team loyalty cloud them a bit when I read comments like.

Free Voynov?
Anger at Watson's misdemeanor possibly being treated differently than Slava's felony?

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
I just feel like he did his time. If this was the NFL, he'd get a 6-game suspension and be on his way. Get the boy back out there on the ice.

People f*** up. Slava f***ed up. Give him a 30-game suspension and be done with it.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Once upon a time there was a team in LA called the Sharks

64dccfde1428048f3009003f54d43268.jpg

...way better than those other Sharks. How about those uniforms?

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I guess I'd rather have him on the Kings than the Kings getting pennies on the dollar for a #2 or 3 defenseman.

I'm still baffled why people think they can't get value in return for Voynov. If I'm Blake, I haven't seen Voynov in 4 years and didn't expect him back...so now I'm just going to give him away? Why??

Master Yoda

LA Legends
Aug 6, 2003
El Paso
Sorry if this comes across as minimizing what Watson did, but come on guys, read the police reports. One is significantly more disturbing than the other one.

I still remain torn on Voynov, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was banned for good, but if he is allowed back and is going to play I guess I'd rather have him on the Kings than the Kings getting pennies on the dollar for a #2 or 3 defenseman. But I think some people are really letting team loyalty cloud them a bit when I read comments like.

Free Voynov?
Anger at Watson's misdemeanor possibly being treated differently than Slava's felony?
FWIW, Slava also pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor, same as Watson in the eyes of the law.

Reactions: yankeeking

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Once upon a time there was a team in LA called the Sharks

64dccfde1428048f3009003f54d43268.jpg

...way better than those other Sharks. How about those uniforms?
I went to a few of their games - LA Sports Arena and Long Beach arena. Saw Derek Sanderson play one of his few WHA games. Very entertaining games.

Reactions: KINGS17

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Free Voynov?

Both pled the same deal, same charge.

Obviously they differ in severity. All I've said is that if the NHL overlooks Watson's then goes on to punish Voynov, especially after he's already been punished with the longest suspension in NHL history, it would be garbage. Less about Voynov, more about Watson. So many people (not you) are going out of their way to make excuses for him and minimize the incident it's just gross. All the folks who are completely outraged about Voynov are now going "well, it's JUST a shove, and she was drunk" as if some degree of domestic violence is justifiable. No, for a league with no DV policy, the NHL has to do this one right--and they're fortunate, as I stated, that they get to discipline Watson first, as given the similar legal charge, they get to set the precedent with Watson instead of working backwards from Slava.

Frankly it's a little insulting that the insinuation is consistently "team loyalty" is clouding judgment, I'm simply saying it DOES compare no matter how much people want to downplay Watson's incident. Not in degree, but in category. I'm not minimizing Voynov's, I'm trying to illuminate Watson's.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So, here is one I bet most of you have never seen. The WHA had a team called the Minnesota Fighting Saints. That's John MacKenzie (former Bruin) of the Saints going for a rebound given up by the Cleveland Crusaders Gerry Cheevers (also a former Bruin). The real interesting thing here is the Saints played their home games in a building with boards which were "glass".

SX06.jpg

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
So, here is one I bet most of you have never seen. The WHA had a team called the Minnesota Fighting Saints. That's John MacKenzie (former Bruin) of the Saints going for a rebound given up by the Cleveland Crusaders Gerry Cheevers (also a former Bruin). The real interesting thing here is the Saints played their home games in a building with boards which were "glass".

SX06.jpg
Those glass boards always made me look twice. I guess they were about 100 years before their time.

Btw, nice pic of “Pie” and “Cheesie”

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Even if he hasn't it would be a great hire.

Sure. I mean he'd probably have to clean house and bring in someone to make them play a more defensively responsible game (not Sutter) to turn Pettersson and Horvat into that young 1/2 two-way center combo and overhaul their blue line and build it starting with Quinn Hughes.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think whatever suspension Watson gets will be the minimum starting point for Voynov. Then the question is will Voynov get credit for time already suspended.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
I think whatever suspension Watson gets will be the minimum starting point for Voynov. Then the question is will Voynov get credit for time already suspended.

I doubt it, he should (full disclosure, I don't want him back) but for the time back in October-November etc of 2014 he should get "time served" (no pun intended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad