Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The idea that DL wouldn't be able to build a team is probably the funniest thing I've read this week. Talk about a lack of appreciation.

Do people really think he would enter a new job with the same vision?

He never really showed signs of evolving here. The Lucic trade really showed just how out of touch he was with the value of certain players in the NHL and how teams were playing. I think he has a great eye for defensive and goaltending talent, but evaluating, drafting and developing skilled forwards has been a major major issue for his entire run as an NHL GM. And right now it's magnified even more, not many of the best teams right now are grinding out victories the way the Kings and Bruins did in the first half of the decade.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Sometimes a GM just loses that magic touch. See Craig Patrick and the 90s Penguins. Glen Sather after he left the Oilers and his run in New York. Ken Holland nowadays. Lou Lamoriello. Sometimes, all the chips fall in your favor in one magic moment. It happened with this team at the 2005 and 2008 drafts.

I attended a speech delivered by a team owner, an owner whose team was always expected to win and a team that was considered a group of chokers until recently. He mentioned the one stat that couldn't quantifiable is luck. Of course, that is something you can never depend on, but it sure does help when you find a superstar athlete in the 3rd or later rounds and he becomes a superstar and a mainstay for a decade plus.

Reactions: King Trouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
GMs are hired to be fired, though. They're all good until they're bad, then they get hired somewhere else and often they're good again. Sometimes they're not. But I wouldn't bet against DL who built an annual playoff competitor then a multiple cup team.

He never really showed signs of evolving here. The Lucic trade really showed just how out of touch he was with the value of certain players in the NHL and how teams were playing. I think he has a great eye for defensive and goaltending talent, but evaluating, drafting and developing skilled forwards has been a major major issue for his entire run as an NHL GM. And right now it's magnified even more, not many of the best teams right now are grinding out victories the way the Kings and Bruins did in the first half of the decade.

Heck he even showed that in...was it the Olympics? Team full of grinders to best-on-best. I don't disagree he didn't show signs of evolving here, I just think he wouldn't be even in the running for another GM spot if he didn't show an adaptable vision. For someone as wholly analytical as DL, I just can't even picture a world in which he goes to Van without a new plan.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It was the 2016 World Cup of Hockey tournament where Lombardi got to assemble his dream hockey squad.

They finished 0-3-0, scoring 5 goals and allowing 11.

Stats | World Cup of Hockey

Some of those selections and the omissions were mind boggling. That team was an embarrassment to watch.

EVOLVING tho. He wanted to assemble a dynamic USA team but the cap stopped him for correcting his course.

No one is undermining DLs accomplishments but to act like he was open to change is absolutely hilarious since it's not based in reality.

Again, if DL isn't 180 on his principles, then RIP Vancouver.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Some of his final words on record as a GM were insinuating that Pittsburgh is an anomaly. "Flavor of the month" while our team was falling off the face of the planet. How does that insinuate anything other than keeping the course?

The same guy who hired Ds when the Kings couldn't score under Terry Murray. Yeah we won the cup with DS no doubt, but we kept a similar archetype of a coach with DS. How does that give you any idea that he will suddenly adopt an offensive brand of hockey when he never has.

Some of his final words were also talking about the need to play with more speed and different style. Like I said we will never know if he would have been able to re-adapt the kings. Few GMs are given that luxury

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
EVOLVING tho. He wanted to assemble a dynamic USA team but the cap stopped him for correcting his course.

No one is undermining DLs accomplishments but to act like he was open to change is absolutely hilarious since it's not based in reality.

Again, if DL isn't 180 on his principles, then RIP Vancouver.

how do you explain him having success with the sharks and then with the kings then? Two different eras and styles of NHL play. He has shown he can change.

Sounds like Vancouver is not replacing Linden's position anyway so this is all a moot point.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sometimes a GM just loses that magic touch. See Craig Patrick and the 90s Penguins. Glen Sather after he left the Oilers and his run in New York. Ken Holland nowadays. Lou Lamoriello. Sometimes, all the chips fall in your favor in one magic moment. It happened with this team at the 2005 and 2008 drafts.

I attended a speech delivered by a team owner, an owner whose team was always expected to win and a team that was considered a group of chokers until recently. He mentioned the one stat that couldn't quantifiable is luck. Of course, that is something you can never depend on, but it sure does help when you find a superstar athlete in the 3rd or later rounds and he becomes a superstar and a mainstay for a decade plus.

Ziggy....I dunno, I was told repeatedly that luck has nothing to do with sports

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It was the 2016 World Cup of Hockey tournament where Lombardi got to assemble his dream hockey squad.

They finished 0-3-0, scoring 5 goals and allowing 11.

Stats | World Cup of Hockey

Some of those selections and the omissions were mind boggling. That team was an embarrassment to watch.

Just read a book, it mentioned this, I don't remember the exact name, but it was an interview with coaches, and Tortorella mentions this team and how they felt bad about letting Lombardi down etc, really interesting read

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles

Jim Rutherford was on his way to hobo status after Carolina and then struck gold in Pittsburgh a few times.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ziggy....I dunno, I was told repeatedly that luck has nothing to do with sports

It’s a small part of having some fortune off the ice, like Kopitar falling to the Kings’ lap in 2005, or the Wings with how they were able to uncover stars like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg all with late round picks, which is astounding.

I don’t think anyone thought those players would go on to have the careers they ended up having. That’s just hard work from the scouts resulting in sheer luck in seeing talent in these guys and watching them blossom to be among the best players of their era.

The Kings haven’t had that kind of luck in quite some time, though there’s hope that Vilardi dropping to them in 2017 is going to play a similar course as the 2005 draft.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
It’s a small part of having some fortune off the ice, like Kopitar falling to the Kings’ lap in 2005, or the Wings with how they were able to uncover stars like Lidstrom, Fedorov, Datsyuk and Zetterberg all with late round picks, which is astounding.

I don’t think anyone thought those players would go on to have the careers they ended up having. That’s just hard work from the scouts resulting in sheer luck in seeing talent in these guys and watching them blossom to be among the best players of their era.

The Kings haven’t had that kind of luck in quite some time, though there’s hope that Vilardi dropping to them in 2017 is going to play a similar course as the 2005 draft.

Agreed, I think with Detroit, it wasn't that scouts didn't know, it was, teams didn't think they would come over, especially in Federov/Datsyuk etc.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Vague tweet, Ziggy... is he GM?

Assistant (to the) Regional Manager?

dean-lombardijpg-4a51f5c74767ecea.jpg

Dwight-dwight-schrute-16100666-500-281.jpg

From an article last September:

General manager Ron Hextall on Sunday confirmed the hiring of former boss Dean Lombardi, who’s been added to the Flyers' front office, but in a position that has yet to be determined.

“He’s got a lot of experience,” Hextall said of Lombardi. “He’s a sharp guy and we’d be foolish not to bring him aboard. For me, it’s going to be another guy to run things by. We'll find something else for him to do. He’s not going to be in the scouting department.”

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Assistant (to the) Regional Manager?

dean-lombardijpg-4a51f5c74767ecea.jpg

Dwight-dwight-schrute-16100666-500-281.jpg

From an article last September:
First off, LOVE The Office reference.

I do remember that story, was wondering if there were new developments or if it was still some hazy FO role. Had heard President of org earlier in the year, too. Is he The Non-Titled One?

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Some of his final words were also talking about the need to play with more speed and different style. Like I said we will never know if he would have been able to re-adapt the kings. Few GMs are given that luxury

Actions speak louder than words. Moot point now

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Good, keep that beast of a GM out of the West. Thank god VAN didn't land him. Philly is another young team and Dean is a massive land for them

Vague tweet, Ziggy... is he GM?

No, he's not . Hextall was the massive land and turned an awful farm system into tops in the NHL. Per Elliotte, only 1 other team reached out to him besides the Flyers. I'm sure Hextall feels a certain loyalty and the job he gave DL last year, in charge of 'special projects' is a bit vague as well.
He signed that 3 yr add with the Flyers before that '1 team' reached out . Given Linden left, you can assume it was the Canucks.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Actions speak louder than words. Moot point now

Lombardi's final season was not like the preceding years where prime future assets were moved. He didn't try to make a big move to help a team that didn't deserve it since he knew they needed to reset things a bit. He never got the chance to fully show the change in philosophy however, since he was canned at the end of the season.

What did Blake do? Ran out the same team, for the most part. Sutter was the problem in Dean's last year with Dean's issue being his loyalty and not trading future picks or not liking fast players. Hell...he traded Dwight King!

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Lombardi's final season was not like the preceding years where prime future assets were moved. He didn't try to make a big move to help a team that didn't deserve it since he knew they needed to reset things a bit. He never got the chance to fully show the change in philosophy however, since he was canned at the end of the season.

What did Blake do? Ran out the same team, for the most part. Sutter was the problem in Dean's last year with Dean's issue being his loyalty and not trading future picks or not liking fast players. Hell...he traded Dwight King!

this.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017

Too little too late. Still no indication a change in philosophy was incoming though. Team still played exactly the same.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
No, he's not . Hextall was the massive land and turned an awful farm system into tops in the NHL. Per Elliotte, only 1 other team reached out to him besides the Flyers. I'm sure Hextall feels a certain loyalty and the job he gave DL last year, in charge of 'special projects' is a bit vague as well.
He signed that 3 yr add with the Flyers before that '1 team' reached out . Given Linden left, you can assume it was the Canucks.

I'm often put in charge of special projects, so I consider myself an expert on the subject. Most common tasks are fluffing the pillows, removing the icing from the bottom of the birthday candles, and making sure the toast doesn't run away.

Very important role.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Umm, mmkay Dee...

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Too little too late. Still no indication a change in philosophy was incoming though. Team still played exactly the same.

They played worse, actually. We're a 100 point team the season prior.

Same players as last year, basically. Losing Quick is more important than Carter. Kopitar was trash. Everyone hated Sutter.

Credit to Blake for what he's done pipeline wise, but DL was not trading the Vilardi pick. Pretty sure he said they had to get back to what they had done previously RE: drafting etc. He didn't mortgage anything in his last year here.

The narrative of a drunk Lombardi just blowing through high value futures conveniently omits the '17 season. Hey, I'd like to forget it too so it's understandable.

He made a ton of mistakes. No argument there. The idea that he would never change is an assumption; however, it is gospel on this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad