Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Yeah, no. If DL is the same guy that left the Kings then the Canucks would be boned.
He's a 2x Stanley Cup winning, jet-setter GM. A man with vision, and a man who commands the room. I HOPE VAN doesn't hire him. Watch him flip that franchise around, especially with all the young talent they have up and coming -- where his specialty lies. His mold eventually growing stale and "in love" with his winners, aside. He is the GM any young team should be wetting themselves for.

Reactions: YP44

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yeah, no. If DL is the same guy that left the Kings then the Canucks would be boned.

turned under performing aging roster into contender. DL's downfall was loyalty and trying to keep the band together, he didn't have any issues creating the band. If he can create a good team in Vancouver it is a good get for them.

Reactions: King Trouty

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
anything new or what brings this up?
Nothing new and i have no idea why I brought that up, especially in the wrong thread, YP. Stream of consciousness in a reply box, like a flashy toy for a 5 year old. I thought I was replying to previous posts, not realizing I had left the thread where it was maybe relevant.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don’t care how many question marks we have right now, wouldn’t trade that for winning two cups in three years....ever. I could probably list about 30 other teams that wish they could encounter that problem.

Thanks DL.

especially a team like Vancouver that has zero cups, which is where LA was pre DL. This team is alot better now than then.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
You know what's killing me? That Sentors fans don't know Doughty has the tea that EK is not going to re-sign with Ottawa.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
DL can build a contender. He just can't keep a team on top after winning. A lot of teams would like to have that sort of issue.
His model won't fly in the current NHL trend.

turned under performing aging roster into contender. DL's downfall was loyalty and trying to keep the band together, he didn't have any issues creating the band. If he can create a good team in Vancouver it is a good get for them.
He sure didn't help the band after he assembled it.

Dumbest thing I’ve read on this board all week.

That awkward moment when the NHL isn't about size, grit, character, and dump and Chase hockey. It's 2018, wake up.

No one is undermining his accomplishments. More so using his recent stint and actions which found him fired.

The climate of the sport changed into an area DL isn't good with. If it was 2007-2008 and Vancouver got him, sure it'd be a real good hire cause the NHL was grind and grit.

The people on this board are sometimes so stuck in the past it's amazing.

Last edited:

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
His model won't fly in the current NHL trend.

He sure didn't help the band after he assembled it.

Instead of making petty remarks maybe you could say why?

DL was fired for a reason and if he tried to build another grit team in the current NHL they would fail.

The NHL is and was trending into a direction that DL didn't accept. Let's stop with the misplaced boners people have for DL thinking he could replicate the same success in a different setting / trend.

No one is undermining his accomplishments. More so using his recent stint and actions which found him fired.

The climate of the sport changed into an area DL isn't good with. If it was 2007-2008 and Vancouver got him, sure it'd be a real good hire cause the NHL was grind and grit.

he had success building San Jose into a divisional champion and a team that was constantly one of the best in the league. He never won a cup there but I think turning a team that was faltering into what they would become in the dead puck, clutch and grab era is something he should be proud of.

Than he took over the LA kings in the post cap era. Seems like he was able to adjust to the new environment around him and we all know what he did for LA. I am sure there were neigh Sayers who would have used his most recent stint in San Jose and most recent actions about his inability to push San Jose over the top, and the likely said he would not be able to push the kings over the top. Enter dealing for Carter and Gaborik. So he learned from his past.

If the NHL is trending into a different direction I do not doubt he will be able to adjust and would be good for Vancouver. He has done it twice in two different environments in two different eras. History says he can do it again.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
he had success building San Jose into a divisional champion and a team that was constantly one of the best in the league. He never won a cup there but I think turning a team that was faltering into what they would become in the dead puck, clutch and grab era is something he should be proud of.

Than he took over the LA kings in the post cap era. Seems like he was able to adjust to the new environment around him and we all know what he did for LA. I am sure there were neigh Sayers who would have used his most recent stint in San Jose and most recent actions about his inability to push San Jose over the top, and the likely said he would not be able to push the kings over the top. Enter dealing for Carter and Gaborik. So he learned from his past.

If the NHL is trending into a different direction I do not doubt he will be able to adjust and would be good for Vancouver. He has done it twice in two different environments in two different eras. History says he can do it again.

Now tell me this, he REFUSED to change for the Kings. He refused to adjust. What makes you so certain he will completely uproot every philosophy he preached?

He didn't do it for the Kings.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Now tell me this, he REFUSED to change for the Kings. He refused to adjust. What makes you so certain he will completely uproot every philosophy he preached?

He didn't do it for the Kings.

I don't see how he refused to change for the kings. I think he was in the process of changing and got shown the door before being able to adjust. Sutter was gone either way. I think the firing of DL was a surprise. He had talked about learning about being too loyal, the need to get younger and faster and then was fired before being able to do those things.

That's the way a lot of teams operate. GM's are very seldom given the chance to take the team down a different path then they are already on. We will never know this though.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don't see how he refused to change for the kings. I think he was in the process of changing and got shown the door before being able to adjust. Sutter was gone either way. I think the firing of DL was a surprise. He had talked about learning about being too loyal, the need to get younger and faster and then was fired before being able to do those things.

That's the way a lot of teams operate. GM's are very seldom given the chance to take the team down a different path then they are already on. We will never know this though.
Some of his final words on record as a GM were insinuating that Pittsburgh is an anomaly. "Flavor of the month" while our team was falling off the face of the planet. How does that insinuate anything other than keeping the course?

The same guy who hired Ds when the Kings couldn't score under Terry Murray. Yeah we won the cup with DS no doubt, but we kept a similar archetype of a coach with DS. How does that give you any idea that he will suddenly adopt an offensive brand of hockey when he never has.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
Lombardi was in uncharted waters after building a two-time champion. - there's not a blueprint for that. I remember he was reaching out to the few GMs in other sports who had won multiple championships to see if they had gained any insights into staying competitive.

I'm sure Lombardi learned something along the way, even from his mistakes, that will help him if he gets another opportunity.

Bottom line, he turned a franchise around that had been a clown show.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think he could have success in the right place, a place with a some highly skilled young players like he had in LA, not sure that place is Vancouver. Had he gone to Buffalo or even the Isles I would have liked his chances better. This puts even more pressure on Pettersson (and there is already a ton on him).

Just think you really need to be able to have really good talented players on ELC's or second deals to be successful in today's NHL and that is a big weakness of Lombardi.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Dean Lombardi deserves another chance to be a GM based on the results he produced, but if he hasn't adapted to the way the game is being played it's going to be a disaster hire for Vancouver. The Canucks are going to be really really bad this year and next years draft appears to be forward heavy. That will likely be the first real big test to see how Dean has evolved.

Maynard

Veteran of Forum Wars
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2003
Orange County
Some of his final words on record as a GM were insinuating that Pittsburgh is an anomaly. "Flavor of the month" while our team was falling off the face of the planet. How does that insinuate anything other than keeping the course?

The same guy who hired Ds when the Kings couldn't score under Terry Murray. Yeah we won the cup with DS no doubt, but we kept a similar archetype of a coach with DS. How does that give you any idea that he will suddenly adopt an offensive brand of hockey when he never has.

Silly to think DL wouldn’t learn from this and apply it moving forward.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The idea that DL wouldn't be able to build a team is probably the funniest thing I've read this week. Talk about a lack of appreciation.

Do people really think he would enter a new job with the same vision?

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

That was the interview with Bob Miller. He was also pretty miffed about blowing a 12 point lead too, yet he offered Sutter an extension, [even though he knew that there were locker room issues with him], and only under the condition they change captains. He had blinders on and refused his own eyes as the league started to evolve into a new faster game.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
The idea that DL wouldn't be able to build a team is probably the funniest thing I've read this week. Talk about a lack of appreciation.

Same vision? Yes, I do think he would still emphasize sound play in the defensive zone, probably not so much the board play though. In terms of personnel it would have to be done differently, the game is getting younger and faster, but that doesn't mean you can't play with structure in your own zone.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yet, you think that DL is such a dummy that he hasn't learned a thing on why he isn't still the GM of the LA Kings?? Who's stuck in the past now?
Gms hire coaches who get fired and don't change still. If you think DL will change to that extent then that's just blind hope.

Silly to think DL wouldn’t learn from this and apply it moving forward.

Not silly at all. Coaches for the most part don't change after they get fired.

.. Uh yeah. How could you forget how adamant he was towards change. Sheesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad