Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
People boo Gary Bettman (I don't see why), but he has actually grown the game, and saved the owners from themselves.

Teams were going to fold without cost certainty and a guaranteed percentage of the revenue.

He's one of the finest commissioners in sports from a business perspective. I don't like that his go-to move is 'lockout,' but he does get results.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007
The Kings should take John Tavares to Spearmint Rhino, then dine him at the finest street dog vendor.

It does feel odd that he's just hanging out in town taking offers and we're not really a suitor. I seems like we could all do a little more to help the cause...like show him our pog collections, help him pick a gang affiliation, or introduce him to our sisters. You know, new neighbor stuff.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
He's one of the finest commissioners in sports from a business perspective. I don't like that his go-to move is 'lockout,' but he does get results.

He got the job because the PA went on strike in 1992. After the whole Eagleson thing, the PA hired Goodenow, who was a bulldog in the mold of Donald Fehr. Lindros chose not to go to Quebec. Stevens did not want to be compensation for the Blues signing Shanahan. He eventually captained 3 Cup teams in NJ, but he wasn't going to show up at first. There's no such thing as a player being compensation anymore.

There's more to the lockouts than Bettman. It was decades of unresolved labor issues. Then they didn't get the cap in 1995, and a bunch of teams either started to get into, or remained in trouble. The league just works with the least amount of revenue, so the fight tends to be a bit more intense than in other CBA negotiations. Other than the 1994 MLBPA strike.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Everyone can thank Donald Fehr for lockouts in sports. Ever since MLB owners agreed to start the 1994 season without a CBA, which gave the players all of the leverage in the contract negotiations, and resulted in the cancellation of the World Series, the owners in every major sports league knew the lockout was the way to go.

After the 1994 debacle in MLB I never want to see a season started without a CBA in place. I much prefer to see an entire season canceled to watching almost all of the regular season games, and then the player's union decides to pull the plug on the best part of the season after the players have received most of their money.

A pox on Fehr.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Don't get me wrong, I don't blame Bettman for every lockout ever, and I know there are plenty of historical as well as ongoing labor issues that need to be resolved. Sucks that Fehr is around too, obviously. I just hate that we can look at the expiration of the CBA as "the next lockout" rather than the next successfully negotiated collective bargaining session.

Reactions: King Trouty

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Since its the summer of speculation, say the Kings met with him, what would they have to move out in order to make it work?

Cook24

Oct 14, 2005
Chino, CA
Since its the summer of speculation, say the Kings met with him, what would they have to move out in order to make it work?

Talking about Tavares? We’d probably have to move at least 9 mil in cap maybe more. Moving Pearson and Toffoli for picks and prospects would clear about 8 and a half so we could roll with this...

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Tavares-Carter
Kempe-Vilardi-Lewis
Clifford-Amadio-Thompson/Brodzinski

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-Ladue/Brickley

We’d be right at the cap maybe even a little over so we’d have to move someone else making 1.5 to 2 mil.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
The Kings should take John Tavares to Spearmint Rhino, then dine him at the finest street dog vendor.

I bet Dallas gets him a boomstick from a Texas Rangers game. That could be tough to match.

texas-rangers-the-boomstick-food.jpg

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I just don’t want 8 years of Tavares on the Sharts.

I don’t think they can offer him 8 years, only the Islanders can go to eight, other clubs can go to a maximum of seven.

It was mentioned on TSN radio today that Lou would not do a sign and trade if he knew JT was leaving, didn’t want the team getting him to get that extra year.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
Talking about Tavares? We’d probably have to move at least 9 mil in cap maybe more. Moving Pearson and Toffoli for picks and prospects would clear about 8 and a half so we could roll with this...

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Tavares-Carter
Kempe-Vilardi-Lewis

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-Ladue/Brickley

We’d be right at the cap maybe even a little over so we’d have to move someone else making 1.5 to 2 mil.

Thats a lot to move to get one guy. I thought we had more cap space once Reider wasn't qualified.

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Tavares-Carter
Kempe-Vilardi-Lewis

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-Ladue/Brickley

I'd jettison Phaneuf first, even if you have to add an asset. $5m+ on a third pairing D doesn't scream cost effective to me (No knock on Dion, just balancing the books)

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012

Kovalchuk-Kopitar-Brown
Iafallo-Tavares-Carter
Kempe-Vilardi-Lewis

Forbort-Doughty
Muzzin-Martinez
Phaneuf-Ladue/Brickley

For me, we'd have to move Muzzin & Lewis and MAYBE Pearson. I'd rather try to move Clifford & Thompson and keep Pearson, if at all possible.

Muzzin = 4
Lewis = 2
Clifford = 1.6
Thompson = 1.65

4 + 2 + 1.6 + 1.65 = $9.25 million.

Would we lose depth? Sure. But with a top 6 of Tavares, Kovi, Kopi, Carter, Toffoli, & Pearson, I wouldn't worry myself over the depth of the bottom 6.

Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Toffoli
Brown - Tavares - Carter
Pearson - Vilardi - Kempe
Iaffalo - Amadio - Brodz

+ JAD & whoever

Forbort - Doughty
Phaneuf - LaDue
Brickley - Martinez

+Fantenberg & Folin

Quick
Campbell

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
People boo Gary Bettman (I don't see why), but he has actually grown the game, and saved the owners from themselves.

Teams were going to fold without cost certainty and a guaranteed percentage of the revenue.

He has done a good job at what he was hired to do. People forget he works for the owners not the fans. As a fan I will boo him because of his failure at CBA negotiations. I know that is debatable as he has gotten the owners what they want ever time, but it is a failure to me to not get it down before a lockout.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
He has done a good job at what he was hired to do. People forget he works for the owners not the fans. As a fan I will boo him because of his failure at CBA negotiations. I know that is debatable as he has gotten the owners what they want ever time, but it is a failure to me to not get it down before a lockout.
I see it as a failure by the NHLPA to recognize the reality of the situation. The owners demands are reasonable in my estimation. You don't run a business to lose money. If the NHL were more popular the players would get paid more. The fact that it isn't, and that it will never be one of the big three is something they are going to have to accept. Individual players are not going to make $20M a season any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad