Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I'm not sure what you're saying here. You think it would have been better to re-sign Lucic? That would have compounded the mistake of acquiring him in the first place.

The Kings should not being giving up futures to acquire Paciorietty. Signing Pacioreitty to a significant contract would exacerbate the mistake of acquiring him in the first place. He'll basically be 31 when his next deal starts.

I'm saying it would make more sense for them to try to acquire a player with term if they're giving up any significant assets, as opposed to repeating the same mistakes as the Lucic and Sekera trades.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I'm saying it would make more sense for them to try to acquire a player with term if they're giving up any significant assets, as opposed to repeating the same mistakes as the Lucic and Sekera trades.
Not if that player is older and in decline.

Trading for Pacioretty is a mistake. Signing him to a contract is a mistake. The Kings should be doing neither.

Being stuck with Lucic/Sekera on long term deals would've been terrible.

lexlavender

Jun 9, 2013
Remember that the contract that was offered for Lucic was 4.25 million a year. Despite the term, that AAV isn't that ridiculous. Hindsight is 20/20 here, but at the time that would have been palatable cap wise.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
If Tampa somehow signed Tavares it would be interesting to see the contracts they'd need to ship out. IIRC they're near the cap ceiling, and have a lot of contracts to give out soon. Could pay someone to take Coburn and IR Callahan, but that's only a short-term fix and would kill their depth if guys like Palat and Kilorn needed to move on

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

WHOneedsSOX

Mar 1, 2015
If Tampa somehow signed Tavares it would be interesting to see the contracts they'd need to ship out. IIRC they're near the cap ceiling, and have a lot of contracts to give out soon. Could pay someone to take Coburn and IR Callahan, but that's only a short-term fix and would kill their depth if guys like Palat and Kilorn needed to move on
Just read on Friedman's 31 thoughts that all the teams looking to sign Tavares have some major players they have to re-sign in the next year or two. Kucherov and McDonagh in Tampa Bay. Seguin in Dallas. Toronto has Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to re-sign. Nashville has Josi and Ellis. San Jose might be the only one that doesn't since I don't imagine Couture will be signing for anything close to the other guys I mentioned.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I think Panarin will re-sign with Columbus or be traded before training camp starts. Not sure if the Kings have a package that would interest Columbus if it doesn't include Vilardi and a first, or maybe Vilardi and Clague.

Then you have to re-sign Panarin for probably around $8M a season, which necessitates moving Toffoli and Muzzin/Martinez, or at least two players with those type cap hits. I think it's too many moving parts for Blake on this one.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I think Panarin will re-sign with Columbus or be traded before training camp starts. Not sure if the Kings have a package that would interest Columbus if it doesn't include Vilardi and a first, or maybe Vilardi and Clague.

Then you have to re-sign Panarin for probably around $8M a season, which necessitates moving Toffoli and Muzzin/Martinez, or at least two players with those type cap hits. I think it's too many moving parts for Blake on this one.

Agree, but you can bring in Panarin now....then you have the entire season to move Toffoli/Martinez etc it's able to be done, it's just a matter of does Panarin want to play here, and how much, I don't know if you can trade serious assets, ala Vilardi, Clague, etc without knowing that first.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Just read on Friedman's 31 thoughts that all the teams looking to sign Tavares have some major players they have to re-sign in the next year or two. Kucherov and McDonagh in Tampa Bay. Seguin in Dallas. Toronto has Matthews, Marner, and Nylander to re-sign. Nashville has Josi and Ellis. San Jose might be the only one that doesn't since I don't imagine Couture will be signing for anything close to the other guys I mentioned.

Toronto could probably make it work by dealing Nylander and cut some cap off, Dallas can make it work since Spezza's 7.5 mil has 1 year left and Hanzal is bound for LTIR life soon enough it seems. Nashville IDK how they'd work it but they have some overpaid forwards coming before Josi expires.

Tampa is really the only one who IDK what'd they do. Callahan and Coburn come off in the next few seasons but beyond the two mentioned there's contracts for Point, Vasilevski, and Sergachev

Reactions: WHOneedsSOX

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Remember that the contract that was offered for Lucic was 4.25 million a year. Despite the term, that AAV isn't that ridiculous. Hindsight is 20/20 here, but at the time that would have been palatable cap wise.

I still think that was a smart number to go for. There is no reason that Lucic cannot return to form ala Dustin Brown IMO. Him at 4.25M would still be palatable.

eleventy

Conditioner goes first
Jul 4, 2007
Just a couple of notables for those who were NOT offered QOs thus far (though there are contract talks likely ongoing).

Ott - Nick Shore :naughty:
Phi - Petr Mrazek
Pitt - Riley Sheahan
Wsh - DSP

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I'd be shocked if anyone gave Dwight King a one-way deal, but someone will take the shot on a two-way deal and see what he shows in camp. Worst case scenario you would have an NHL veteran with 2 rings on your AHL roster for a season.

But I would bet against him sticking in the league, the game has just gotten to fast for guys like King to succeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad