Around the League '18-'19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
anyone know why JMFJ was a healthy scratch in Columbus? Was it just Torts?

From what I read, he was just the odd man out. Cole worked out well as a shutdown pair with David Savard. Johnson didn't fit with Nutivaara or Murray, and apparently Nutivaara/Murray played decently together.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Luckily for Johnson he is still able to cash in one last time, imagine if he had been 32 when his parents did that to him, or if his career had gone the way of Richards or Cheechoo.

JJ never seemed to be a guy who had any clue about finances. Not only being asleep at the wheel while his parents robbed him, he also did odd stuff like charter private planes to fly back from the Olympics or to go to college football games. I've heard from a few different people that he donated more money to Michigan's athletic department then any other former athlete, and he was far from the wealthiest NHL or NFL alum. The contract he signed with the Kings, which he negotiated himself was quite possibly one of the worst contracts in the NHL at the time. It's pretty obvious he was taken advantage of by a lot of people, including his parents, his employer and his alma mater.

I really hope he has given full control to a reputable financial manager this time, if so he should be ok going forward.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The contract he signed with the Kings, which he negotiated himself was quite possibly one of the worst contracts in the NHL at the time. It's pretty obvious he was taken advantage of by a lot of people, including his parents, his employer and his alma mater..
No it wasn't. It was perfectly fair.

Reactions: Basilisk

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Taking advantage of was a poor choice of words, I apologize.

But the contract was poor from the players POV, JJ was 24, had just had a 40 point season and was a member of the US Olympic team the year before at age 23, yes his career collapsed after the trade, but he was a promising and valuable asset at the time. He gave up way to many UFA years and didn't make the Kings pay for it at all. His parents were his advisors at the time,I'm sure they just saw the $30 mill number and couldn't wait to get it signed, and Jack never wanted to leave the Kings. The contract was so bad there wasn't even a "You can't trade me to Edmonton" clause, which is basically standard for any player worth a damn.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Reuniting back with Sid maybe just what he needs. I hope this deal gets him in the clear as far as the financial damage his parents did to him.

agree. He'll have better stability, different usage/system and I think just changing zip codes will do wonders for him. When Torts doesn't like you, it can affect your game.
Rutherford said post season, he would make changes and he's headed that way. When Kessell is moved they'll get 6M plus (assuming he'll get draft pick and prospect for him) and added to what they have left, even with some minor contracts to be signed, it'll be enough to get a winger , which he's hunting. JVR, Skinner, Patches...
And that will add to a good top 9. Great center depth, adding Brassard was a good move.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I still cheer for Bernier (except when he was a duck). Hope he does well in Detroit though they look very bad.

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
Luckily for Johnson he is still able to cash in one last time, imagine if he had been 32 when his parents did that to him, or if his career had gone the way of Richards or Cheechoo.

JJ never seemed to be a guy who had any clue about finances. Not only being asleep at the wheel while his parents robbed him, he also did odd stuff like charter private planes to fly back from the Olympics or to go to college football games. I've heard from a few different people that he donated more money to Michigan's athletic department then any other former athlete, and he was far from the wealthiest NHL or NFL alum. The contract he signed with the Kings, which he negotiated himself was quite possibly one of the worst contracts in the NHL at the time. It's pretty obvious he was taken advantage of by a lot of people, including his parents, his employer and his alma mater.

I really hope he has given full control to a reputable financial manager this time, if so he should be ok going forward.
I'm sorry but Johnson has a bachelor degree from Michigan. I cannot feel sorry for him. The bank account was on his name and those "investments" took a few years. He was well aware of his own name on the bank account as well as all monthly spending by him/his parents by monthly bank statements.
There are plenty of players in the NHL with a highschool degree that manage to read a bank statement.
You like him because he is a nice guy and played for Michigan, thats fine, but anybody that believes the myth of him being a helpless victim is also believing in fairy tales.
I'm not going to go about his case in this thread because I like these boards for hockey and it's off topic...

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I'm sorry but Johnson has a bachelor degree from Michigan. I cannot feel sorry for him. The bank account was on his name and those "investments" took a few years. He was well aware of his own name on the bank account as well as all monthly spending by him/his parents by monthly bank statements.
There are plenty of players in the NHL with a highschool degree that manage to read a bank statement.
You like him because he is a nice guy and played for Michigan, thats fine, but anybody that believes the myth of him being a helpless victim is also believing in fairy tales.
I'm not going to go about his case in this thread because I like these boards for hockey and it's off topic...

First off, I did say in my original post that JJ deserves some blame, he didn't exactly spend his money wisely, but what was done to him by his own parents was at another level. Are you trying to say that Jack was a willing party to all of that?

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
I don’t care where he played, the fact that he seems to be a good dude who got assf***ed by his own parents should be enough to hope the best for him.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Of course JJ wasn't a "willing party" to his parents abuses but he didn't care enough himself - he was living the high life as well. We don't know the whole family dynamic here but clearly he looked the other way until it was almost too late. That's on JJ. Hopefully he's learned his lesson. Crosby just threw him a lifeline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad