Around the League 16: Marner signed? RIP HF Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
Most hockey players remember playing on ponds and back rinks for fun.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Didn’t the Sabres come out hot last year as well, or was it just Skinner who was hot?
Both.

It was ‪November 27‬ and the Sabres had just won their tenth straight game. Western New York was in a frenzy and it looked the Sabres were finally turning a corner.
Then everything changed.
In a matter of 49 games, the Sabres went from first place to mathematically eliminated from playoff contention for the eighth straight year. Fans went from talking about playoff matchups to potential coaching changes and it seems like after another downward spiral the Sabres are virtually in the same place as they were at the end of last season.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Oh boy are the Devils a tire fire right now. Up 4-1 on Florida, the Panthers came back to win 6-4. Hynes seat has to be past hot and literally on fire. Schneider still doesn't have it. It could be a long year for them.

Well they had no business being a good team this year. I don't get all the hype- they are rebuilding, and in a sane world, that isn't done immediately.

Reactions: zman77 and cptjeff

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Didn’t the Sabres come out hot last year as well, or was it just Skinner who was hot?

They did, but IIRC, their underlying metrics were showing that they were vastly over-achieving and they were winning a lot of games by 1 goal or in OT while being outplayed. People expected a regression and it happened. Small sample size, but that doesn't seem to be the case this year. They are outshooting their opponents and have more scoring chances than their opponents. Their SV% is 2nd best in the NHL though, just behind Boston (Rask) and ahead of Anaheim (Gibson) so not sure if that's going to last.

EDIT: And they have Krueger who I believe is a much better coach.

Last edited:

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
Holtby was pulled against the Avalanche after Colorado had three goals on three shots in the first. That's the first time I've ever seen a goalie pulled that didn't make a save and one of the earliest pulls. Also it's so quiet in the arena it's like they're playing in a library.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Holtby was pulled against the Avalanche after Colorado had three goals on three shots in the first. That's the first time I've ever seen a goalie pulled that didn't make a save and one of the earliest pulls. Also it's so quiet in the arena it's like they're playing in a library.

Samsonov gave up a goal on the next shot, too. It's 4-0 after 1. Can't say that makes me unhappy.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Dallas are so overrated, it's not funny. Aging team without much depth, pretty slow, too.

When the NHL.com top 16 came out and the Stars were No. 10, I made this very (almost word-for-word) comment regarding Dallas.

But ..

Well they had no business being a good team this year. I don't get all the hype- they are rebuilding, and in a sane world, that isn't done immediately.

I also have to admit I was pretty high on New Jersey. It's not just that they got Hughes. They also added Gusev, Subban and got a healthy Hall back. That's a lot of firepower they didn't have last season.

Reactions: zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Gutsy call by Colorado. Caps score with 2 min. left (2nd goal in 10 seconds) to get within 1 and the Avs challenge it as offside. If they lose, they go on a PK, but they won the challenge.

EDIT: after seeing the replay, Oshie was off side by quite a bit, so I can see why they wasted no time challenging that.

Last edited:
Reactions: zman77

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Gutsy call by Colorado. Caps score with 2 min. left (2nd goal in 10 seconds) to get within 1 and the Avs challenge it as offside. If they lose, they go on a PK, but they won the challenge.

I also would like to point out that the refs are off to a pretty good start this season. Everything that I've seen go to video review has been called correctly, and fairly quickly to boot. It helps that they've also been blatantly obvious -- like the offside call you mention -- but that hasn't guaranteed anything in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad