Around the League 16: Marner signed? RIP HF Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Eric "-9" Staal (worst in the league)

Dougie Hamilton +8 - best in the league

What is the point of this post? I’m sure that had nothing to do with Dougie being in his prime and on a very good team and Staal being in the twilight of his career and on a very bad team.

Carolina: + 10 Goal diff(2nd best in NHL)
Minn: -11 Goal diff (2nd worst in NHL.

Last edited:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Looking at the standings wondering what the hell is happening with the Rangers. What is that schedule?

They’ve played 3 games so far, currently in the middle of an 11 day stretch where they play one game. In October.
There are some nutty schedules at the outset of the season, for sure. I laughed that CHI started their season by playing one game, then had 5-day break.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'll give England credit for this much: he's not a sumo wrestler.
But it doesn't seem far off.
Hey, anything to grow the game.

If playing goal in soccer can translate over well to playing goalie in hockey, they could open up a whole new market of opportunity for the NHL going forward, and give keeper washouts in soccer another opportunity to possibly make some decent money.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Ferland with a team low TOI last night for Vancouver. I watched a bit of that game before the Canes game started, and in that short stretch I watched, he's playing like the Ferland from the end of the season. Too bad as I liked how he played when he was physical and active. Hopefully he gets back to that as he's a good story and a guy I want to root for.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
He doesn’t seem to know where to fit in. They tried him with the skill guys but Boeser and Petterson started off slow five on five. He did his thing - they weren’t. They moved away from it just trying to get those two going with anyone and he’s taking a back seat for the moment. You’d have to figure they’ll work him back in as it all settles down. They had a few additions this year, not unlike us it’s a scramble to figure out where everyone belongs.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
He doesn’t seem to know where to fit in. They tried him with the skill guys but Boeser and Petterson started off slow five on five. He did his thing - they weren’t. They moved away from it just trying to get those two going with anyone and he’s taking a back seat for the moment. You’d have to figure they’ll work him back in as it all settles down. They had a few additions this year, not unlike us it’s a scramble to figure out where everyone belongs.

I think I heard he battled some illness right before the season started as well so that could have set him back a bit.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Everyone spent so much time worrying about the Canes goaltending situation going into the year, they ignored the mess that has now officially developed in Washington

Ya hate to see it

We are only 18 months removed from wondering if Holtby would be on the move out of Washington with Grubauer starting the playoffs.

Holtby will come around; he has some bad streaks but he'll pick it back up and look like one of the best in the league again.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
We are only 18 months removed from wondering if Holtby would be on the move out of Washington with Grubauer starting the playoffs.

Holtby will come around; he has some bad streaks but he'll pick it back up and look like one of the best in the league again.
Counterpoint: The PNC Arena broke him in the playoffs last year and its all downhill from here. Seriously, he looked awful on the road in the playoffs last year, and by the time Game 7 came around, he was a broken player.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The Cup run was great for Holtby, but he's been meh the last two regular seasons, and the start of this one. I'm not sure exactly what to make of him at this point. A change might end up being the best for everyone considering how much money he'll command (I mean after the season change). Or maybe he'll pull it together. Who knows?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
The Cup run was great for Holtby, but he's been meh the last two regular seasons, and the start of this one. I'm not sure exactly what to make of him at this point. A change might end up being the best for everyone considering how much money he'll command (I mean after the season change). Or maybe he'll pull it together. Who knows?

I wonder if Holtby ends up coming to the Canes next season if his FA market tanks and goes past Day 1 UFA. This is the Canes Borg that we're talking about, who are among the front offices least concerned about player turnover in the entire league. If Mrazek and Reimer have great seasons with us, I could totally see our guys sell high on one or both of them for picks in the 2nd-4th rounds and pull off another low-cost, Gardiner-style upgrade again. If a desperate team like Florida (of this offseason) comes in and overpays the shit out of him, then of course the Canes will have nothing to do with that and just own-rental one of the two.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I wonder if Holtby ends up coming to the Canes next season if his FA market tanks and goes past Day 1 UFA. This is the Canes Borg that we're talking about, who are among the front offices least concerned about player turnover in the entire league. If Mrazek and Reimer have great seasons with us, I could totally see our guys sell high on one or both of them for picks in the 2nd-4th rounds and pull off another low-cost, Gardiner-style upgrade again. If a desperate team like Florida (of this offseason) comes in and overpays the **** out of him, then of course the Canes will have nothing to do with that and just own-rental one of the two.
It would be interesting to see something like that happen. Certainly not impossible. But I think people around the league still think too highly of Holtby even if this turns out to be his third consecutive meh or worse regular season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Caps down 2-0 against Toronto with Samsonov in net. Toronto has such incredible fire power

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Crosby is why I can never think the Pens aren't a playoff team.
In all fairness, that D-man was a ****ing pylon I'm pretty sure Foegele could have out-deked lol (EDIT: Looked like Girard?)

Still can't believe Horny clipped NMack at full speed after the puck was gone without any call, that was incredibly reckless...and then Cole got called for barely shoulder-clipping Tane...refs are clueless and inconsistent (nothing new there). Or when the Penguin got his stick stuck in the NECK of the Avs player's jersey and Avs got called for holding? lol

Both teams had some REALLY close chances, good goaltending and lucky breaks kept that one at 1-1, but either team could easily have had 3 goals that period

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad