Around the League 16: Marner signed? RIP HF Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I could actually see them interested in swapping Honka for Fleury. Honka was supposed to be much more offensively oriented than Fleury has turned out to be.

I think they're pretty ready to give Fleury the #6D spot this year. Maybe if he underperforms, they'll do a trade like that, but at this point, I don't think so.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I think they're pretty ready to give Fleury the #6D spot this year. Maybe if he underperforms, they'll do a trade like that, but at this point, I don't think so.
Sure, I agree with that assessment of Fleury. But non-scoring defensemen are dinosaurs in this league and can be picked up on waivers usually. He is rapidly approaching replacement level. And looking at our moves since the Borg took over, we seem to be shedding guys who don’t produce and taking some chances on guys who do.

Again, I’m of the option that you don’t bring in a family member to the team as it only brings tension in the end when one is moved, so I wouldn’t do it. However, I wouldn’t be shocked if the team did.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
Sure, I agree with that assessment of Fleury. But non-scoring defensemen are dinosaurs in this league and can be picked up on waivers usually. He is rapidly approaching replacement level. And looking at our moves since the Borg took over, we seem to be shedding guys who don’t produce and taking some chances on guys who do.

Again, I’m of the option that you don’t bring in a family member to the team as it only brings tension in the end when one is moved, so I wouldn’t do it. However, I wouldn’t be shocked if the team did.

They're only dinosaurs if they have bad possession stats. If you're a CDH, you have value around the league. Fleury actually looks reasonably promising in that regard in an admittedly small sample size.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
They're only dinosaurs if they have bad possession stats. If you're a CDH, you have value around the league. Fleury actually looks reasonably promising in that regard in an admittedly small sample size.
And yet we moved him after the first year of a four year contract.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Jun 30, 2011
And yet we moved him after the first year of a four year contract.

That doesn't mean that CDH wasn't valuable. He had a very good year, and it wasn't as if his trade value was negative even with 3 years remaining. IMO Saarela and Forsling are comparable prospects rather close in age to each other, and Forsberg is a decent goalie flyer if Reimer shits his pants. That's not called negative value. Negative value is giving up a 1st for someone to take Marleau. CDH got pieces back in return.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Dustin Byfuglien takes a personal leave of absence without a timeline to return. Can see why Winnipeg was dangling a winger for a RHD. Losing Trouba and Byfuglien (until his return) in one offseason is a big hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->