Around Hockey XXIII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneFunyan

Proud of all the points
Nov 11, 2015

A lot of WPG fans were banking on an injury accounting for some/all of his struggles this season.

A "weird" year with lots of change and lack of cohesion and stuff is all fair as a rationale for a down year, but there were times in WPG where his level of engagement was questioned/questionable. That is completely within his ability to control and is not impacted by "weird year". He may not understand the system or have good chemistry with his line mates yet, but he can still play hard.

You could argue that getting what he wanted - traded away from the CBJ - should have reinvigorated him, but to most accounts on the WPG board, he struggled such that most seemed convinced he was walking wounded.

Totally speculative: I wonder if he's one of those types of guys who's really good at the sport he plays, but ultimately isn't all that interested in it and would prefer to be doing something else.

Reactions: LJ7201 and DJA

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Totally speculative: I wonder if he's one of those types of guys who's really good at the sport he plays, but ultimately isn't all that interested in it and would prefer to be doing something else.

I think you're on to something here - especially considering his comments about "PLD the hockey player vs PLD the person" after the trade

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020
I'm gonna say the winner of Vegas/ Avs/ Montreal has a decent chance of beating TB. I agree that TB is stacked and Vas is so good, but I'm not willing to concede that the NYI won't beat TB.

I expect Tampa will beat the NYI, but I feel like the Isles have been significantly underappreciated. I was pretty incredulous seeing media predications like 4-1 Boston for the last series.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
A lot of WPG fans were banking on an injury accounting for some/all of his struggles this season.

A "weird" year with lots of change and lack of cohesion and stuff is all fair as a rationale for a down year, but there were times in WPG where his level of engagement was questioned/questionable. That is completely within his ability to control and is not impacted by "weird year". He may not understand the system or have good chemistry with his line mates yet, but he can still play hard.

You could argue that getting what he wanted - traded away from the CBJ - should have reinvigorated him, but to most accounts on the WPG board, he struggled such that most seemed convinced he was walking wounded.

This kind of drop off is really strange if he wasn't injured. He seemed to have no power at all. Friedman just said on his carcast that a Jackets teammate of Dubois' called him and said that Dubois had to be injured, that there was no other explanation.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yup - the entire point is that Stone only wanted to go to Vegas in the long run. Pietrangelo only wanted to go to LV. And some gibbering moron on the net with a check mark beside his Twitter profile wants to make it into "LOL it's easy to get great players you just have to try".

Yes. I give Vegas a ton of credit for building a winner and a great environment in the first couple years. But they're not getting extra credit for getting Stone and Pietrangelo to sign, just like I'm not giving the Rangers credit for getting Panarin, Trouba, and Fox. They insisted on going there!

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012

He was solid in his first 20 or so games with the Jets... was giving what I expected- providing solid 2 way play, being physical while being on pace for ~55-60 point season.

He was complete trash the last couple dozen games at the end. I don't know what the problem is- I never bought the injury thing. All we can do is hope he is better next season and can be a serviceable 2C.

Reactions: snowkiddin

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I expect Tampa will beat the NYI, but I feel like the Isles have been significantly underappreciated. I was pretty incredulous seeing media predications like 4-1 Boston for the last series.

I thought they would miss Anders Lee more. I mean he is about a 30 goal 50 point guy and their captain.

Reactions: rotsbu

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He was solid in his first 20 or so games with the Jets... was giving what I expected- providing solid 2 way play, being physical while being on pace for ~55-60 point season.

He was complete trash the last couple dozen games at the end. I don't know what the problem is- I never bought the injury thing. All we can do is hope he is better next season and can be a serviceable 2C.

It's weird. Something seems very amiss. He seems like a much weaker player. He never played so badly as a Jacket.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Not in 2021. Blue Jackets all over that game score sheet: goals by Nick Holden, Keegan Kolesar, Wild Bill.. assists to Jonathon Marchesault - & Flower at 36 is 5th on the all time playoff wins list.. 3 behind the legend Grant Fuhr???? & the Avs are actually man for man a better team.

That was the best series of hockey I have seen in a long time. both teams played their asses off.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
F Vegas.

Sounds like PLD has mono or something that zaps your energy, but I agree that he might be one of those guys with a questionable compete/desire/passion level that we seem to gather (him, Zherdev, Nash, Johansen) that seem to only play the game because they found they were good at it at a young age.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I know I’m supposed to hate Vegas and I want to but I think they’re my second choice among the remaining teams, after the Habs.

I've never cared for the Isle, and my appreciation for guys like Beauvillier and Nelson (and Lee) is more than balanced by my feelings for Martin, Clutterbuck and Mayfield.

And I just can’t warm to Tampa for some reason. I pulled for the in the Finals last year but I just don’t like many guys on that team besides Palat and Point and sometimes Hedman.

Jovavic

Gaslight Object Project
Oct 13, 2002
New Born Citizen Erased
I don't hate the Isles and I wouldn't mind seeing Trotz get another one so soon after Washington casted him out after winning their's. The other two teams can go kick rocks though.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
F Vegas.

Sounds like PLD has mono or something that zaps your energy, but I agree that he might be one of those guys with a questionable compete/desire/passion level that we seem to gather (him, Zherdev, Nash, Johansen) that seem to only play the game because they found they were good at it at a young age.
We had a guy win the Calder Trophy with mono so I’m going to go with the motivation perspective. He didn’t have Torts foot up his ass any longer and he just didn’t seem that self motivated when he was here.

Reactions: Monstershockey
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad