Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
So Vegas is going to cakewalk to the finals again in a horrid Western conference. Its a shame Colorado got injury plagued. That would at least be a good series.

Vegas beats both NYI and TB, although I do think TB would have a good chance.

The Stars have been discounted in the last two rounds, and look at them right now... I feel like they're the Islanders of the West. Their big stars are slumping but they're getting tons of depth scoring as well as Heiskanen popping off like crazy.

Reactions: rotsbu

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Stars have been discounted in the last two rounds, and look at them right now... I feel like they're the Islanders of the West. Their big stars are slumping but they're getting tons of depth scoring as well as Heiskanen popping off like crazy.

They’ve got a good experienced squad. But I don’t think they match up well with Vegas at all. But we will see

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

We are the poor men's Stars. Without a Seguin and maybe a Benn (PLD). Ok so not apples to apples on players, but they rely on two solid goalies with their own poor shooting % lol.

rotsbu

Feb 14, 2020

Regardless of how the rest of the postseason goes, I think the play of DAL and NYI thus far shows that you can win with (1) a defense-oriented system + solid (not necessarily spectacular) goaltending ca when coupled with (2) some offensive potency/depth. I think the CBJ have both parts of (1) covered for the next several years. Just need to get that 2C and/or LW to give us a bit more scoring punch and depth.

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
If I'm not mistaken, all 4 series in the playoffs right now were 3-1. Tampa ended their series and the other 3 are all now going to a game 7. I'm pulling for Colorado and Vancouver. I'm indifferent to the Islanders and Flyers.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Regardless of how the rest of the postseason goes, I think the play of DAL and NYI thus far shows that you can win with (1) a defense-oriented system + solid (not necessarily spectacular) goaltending ca when coupled with (2) some offensive potency/depth. I think the CBJ have both parts of (1) covered for the next several years. Just need to get that 2C and/or LW to give us a bit more scoring punch and depth.

Those clubs are very similarly built to the Jackets in terms of their strengths and weaknesses.

Except for one big difference.

average-age.png

I think folks should consider that each time they press to unload players just because they approach UFA. With someone like Anderson it's hard to tell if the relationship is salvageable, but it's galling to see the ease with which people want to move on from Savard or Foligno. If you don't have those veterans in the playoffs you'll be stuck talking about "learning moments" after your defeat and you'll be asking "why do we say this every year?"

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I think folks should consider that each time they press to unload players just because they approach UFA. With someone like Anderson it's hard to tell if the relationship is salvageable, but it's galling to see the ease with which people want to move on from Savard or Foligno. If you don't have those veterans in the playoffs you'll be stuck talking about "learning moments" after your defeat and you'll be asking "why do we say this every year?"

So these veterans are going to get better with age? Seems like we are doing this now even with the vets. :dunno:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
So these veterans are going to get better with age?

The veterans don't improve as individuals, but they put a little steel in the spine in those critical moments in the playoffs (like when you're trying to protect a 4-2 lead late in the third). Young teams are more volatile, with wilder swings in the score. We have to be able to bend but not break.

Seems like we are doing this now even with the vets. :dunno:

We have fewer veterans than just about any other team, so gee, I wonder why.

Reactions: thebus88 and CPTN71

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The veterans don't improve as individuals, but they put a little steel in the spine in those critical moments in the playoffs (like when you're trying to protect a 4-2 lead late in the third). Young teams are more volatile, with wilder swings in the score. We have to be able to bend but not break.

We have fewer veterans than just about any other team, so gee, I wonder why.

Is it the quantity or the quality of the veterans that matter? In terms of quantity, we have, let's see, Foligno, Savard, Jenner, Murray, Nyqvist, Cam, Nash. I get the lack of quality veterans.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is it the quantity or the quality of the veterans that matter? In terms of quantity, we have, let's see, Foligno, Savard, Jenner, Murray, Nyqvist, Cam, Nash. I get the lack of quality veterans.

Do you have some very high opinion on Leo Komarov and Matt Martin? Corey Perry and Blake Comeau?

Reactions: thebus88

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
They’re asking if you have a high opinion of those players.

Yeah, I get that part. What I don't get is what it has to do with the earlier part of the discussion. Is it that Jackets don't have vets on the 4th line? We don' have vets like these guys? In a vacuum I'm not impressed by any of them. Is he saying they are reasons the Islanders & Stars have done well?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yeah, I get that part. What I don't get is what it has to do with the earlier part of the discussion. Is it that Jackets don't have vets on the 4th line? We don' have vets like these guys? In a vacuum I'm not impressed by any of them. Is he saying they are reasons the Islanders & Stars have done well?

The point is that the Stars and Islanders are full of veterans, many of them not very good individually at this stage of their careers. Martin, Komarov, Perry, Comeau, none of those guys move the needle more than say Riley Nash level or Boone Jenner level. Nick Foligno and David Savard are much better than that particular selection, they're closer to Benn, Oleksiak or Cizikas, Mayfield. I don't think we have a problem of "too many low quality veterans", we have similar quality to these clubs that have been successful this postseason, the main difference is that we have many fewer veterans overall.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Honestly, I rarely watch western conference games, but the Stars - Avs series was incredible

It was. So many great plays and wild swings. The Makar vs Heiskanen battle was legendary.

I'm a bit salty about it though, the Avs seemed like the much better team and I wanted to see them go all the way, and they lost multiple games to goaltending. But then again they looked spooked in big moments in those games, like late in game 7, which brought the lack of veteran poise to mind. They need to learn to bend not break.

cbjgirl

Just thinking
Jan 19, 2006
about last summer.
You need the right veterans, and when you have them, you should keep them. I think a major part of the problem in the early years was that McLean decided that we didn't need certain vets. It isn't what they do on the ice (as long as they aren't actively detrimental) so much as them showing the younger guys how to be men rather than spoiled, older children. Think Luke Richardson versus Mike Commodore. It matters.

Do you guys think that Matt Calvert's presence on the Avs has made a difference? Based on how much of warrior he was here, I'm guessing the answer would be "yes".

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You need the right veterans, and when you have them, you should keep them. I think a major part of the problem in the early years was that McLean decided that we didn't need certain vets. It isn't what they do on the ice (as long as they aren't actively detrimental) so much as them showing the younger guys how to be men rather than spoiled, older children. Think Luke Richardson versus Mike Commodore. It matters.

Do you guys think that Matt Calvert's presence on the Avs has made a difference? Based on how much of warrior he was here, I'm guessing the answer would be "yes".

Definitely, he's beloved there as well.

It makes me mad that Torts alienated him with those "toilet seat" comments. Don't ever question the effort of someone like Matt Calvert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad