Around Hockey XXII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Awesome that we have 4 of the top 6 teams in the league in our division. It always seems to break this way for the CBJ.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Just wait till they have to play the Jackets 8 times each...
So when is it officially “Thanksgiving” in terms of a season that starts in January and consists (hopefully) of 56 games?

My rough math says generally 25-27 games are played in a normal season by Thanksgiving. Roughly 1/3 of the season. In a 56 game season, that’s 18-19 games. If the old adage about not being in a playoff position by Thanksgiving holds true in this crazy season, CBJ needs to go on an 8-game W streak starting tonight.
And I concede that 8 games against 7 teams all in the division makes old adages less relevant than ever!

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
So when is it officially “Thanksgiving” in terms of a season that starts in January and consists (hopefully) of 56 games?

My rough math says generally 25-27 games are played in a normal season by Thanksgiving. Roughly 1/3 of the season. In a 56 game season, that’s 18-19 games. If the old adage about not being in a playoff position by Thanksgiving holds true in this crazy season, CBJ needs to go on an 8-game W streak starting tonight.
And I concede that 8 games against 7 teams all in the division makes old adages less relevant than ever!

You are also competing with 7 teams for 4 spots, not 15 teams for 8 spots. So I kind of think at some point you want to be no lower than 5th (maybe 6th depending how bunched up team 3-6 are) to still be in the hunt. Right now we are 5th. Typical Jackets, just outside the playoffs, but enough games to make it up.

Reactions: thebus88

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You are also competing with 7 teams for 4 spots, not 15 teams for 8 spots. So I kind of think at some point you want to be no lower than 5th (maybe 6th depending how bunched up team 3-6 are) to still be in the hunt. Right now we are 5th. Typical Jackets, just outside the playoffs, but enough games to make it up.

Teams in front of us also have 4-5 games in hand. It's getting late early.

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
"It's a good year to suck"

Direct quote from guy who does between period commentary for Vegas

Saying owners are losing money, and will lose money during the playoffs

Says it's a great year to be a lottery team

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
"It's a good year to suck"

Direct quote from guy who does between period commentary for Vegas

Saying owners are losing money, and will lose money during the playoffs

Says it's a great year to be a lottery team
Pretty short term way of thinking. If we had to suck 1 year Id be all in for next year, that draft has a way higher top end

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
A random, periodic check-in on some former Jackets:

Josh Anderson - 8-2-10, +6 in 12 games with Montreal; his 8 goals are good for 5th in the entire league right now
Pierre-Luc Dubois - debuts tomorrow for Winnipeg
Ryan Murray - 0-2-2 in 9 games, averaging 21:28 TOI (highest since '15-'16 for him), Devils are paused right now due to covid but Murray played in all 9 games with New Jersey so far (9 games in 18 days). His most common D partner has been PK Subban.
Markus Nutivaara - 0-3-3 in 4 games for Florida, trying to get acclimated after starting the season on the covid list and has chipped in with some assists.
Devin Shore - 1-0-1 in 8 games for Edmonton
Alex Wennberg - 1-2-3 in 9 games for Florida
Artem Anisimov - 0-1-1, -3 in 4 games with Ottawa; he's been a healthy scratch for a couple weeks now.
Sergei Bobrovsky - 3-0-1 in 4 starts for Columbus South; .881 sv %, 3.57 GAA - somehow his stats are worse than last year so far.
Derrick Brassard - 1-4-5, +1 in 11 games with Arizona
Matt Calvert - 0-1-1 in 6 games for Colorado; on IR indefinitely with concussion symptoms.
Jeff Carter - 1-5-6, -6 in 11 games for L.A.
Ian Cole - 0-1-1 in 8 games since getting traded to Minnesota (played two games with Colorado prior to the trade)
Matt Duchene - 2-3-5, -5 in 11 games with Nashville (he's getting close to career - triple digits in +/- lol); in 77 career regular season games with the Preds he's posted 15-32-47 and is a -9
Anthony Duclair - 0-6-6, +4 in 9 games with Florida, averaging career-high 17:09 TOI
Ryan Dzingel - 2-2-4, -1 in 9 games for Carolina, averaging just 12:59 TOI
Ryan Johansen - 0-4-4 in 10 games with Nashville, 56.1% in the dot (on IR now, per Viqsi)
Jack Johnson - 0-0-0, -4 in 5 games with the Rangers, hasn't played since January 26th (listed with a groin strain last week)
William Lars Karlsson - 3-3-6, +6 in 9 games for Vegas, 53.9% in the dot
Jonathan Marchessault - 2-6-8, +5 in 9 games for Vegas
Curtis McElhinney - makes his first start tonight
Frank Sonny Milano - no stats in 2 games with Anaheim, on IR (he actually looked pretty good in the action that I caught)
Artemi Panarin - 5-10-15, +2 in 10 games for the Rangers, averaging career-high 21:36 TOI (he's still absurd)
Brandon Saad - 5-3-8, -5 for Colorado in 11 games, shooting a ridiculous 33.3% right now
Jakub Voracek - 3-9-12, +2 in 13 games with Philadelphia, lowest ATOI since his first year with the Flyers

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
A random, periodic check-in on some former Jackets:
[...]
Ryan Johansen - 0-4-4 in 10 games with Nashville, 56.1% in the dot
Has also spent the last two Preds games on IR; the last I heard was "week to week" but I haven't been following it all that closely because the Hynes Preds are depressing the heck out of me.

Reactions: DarkandStormy

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Florida plays 9 out of next 11 games vs Tampa, Dallas and Carolina, so these 4 teams will be losing points quite a bit. We just need to start winning more than 1 game per 2 game series

Reactions: I3LI3 and Byrral
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad