Around Hockey XXI (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
And there goes the other dman I wanted us to grab on a 1 year deal--Hamhuis back to Nashville on a 2 year deal.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
And there goes the other dman I wanted us to grab on a 1 year deal--Hamhuis back to Nashville on a 2 year deal.

and Orpik to the Caps.

Those are two pretty decent teams that saw something in these two players. Just another example of how guys that many posters here (and presumably Jarmo & Co) didn't want. I think either could have helped solidify our D corps but her life goes on, brick by brick.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
and Orpik to the Caps.

Those are two pretty decent teams that saw something in these two players. Just another example of how guys that many posters here (and presumably Jarmo & Co) didn't want. I think either could have helped solidify our D corps but her life goes on, brick by brick.
Exactly.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I thought Carolina would rise just enough to possibly squeeze us out of playoff position next year.

Thankfully, they hired Don Waddell, aka the Doug Maclean of the south.

Don't think it'll matter much. If you haven't heard, every other team in the Metro division got better, other than the Jackets of course. Don't even get me started on Tavares in Toronto or Vinny and the Panthers.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Don't think it'll matter much. If you haven't heard, every other team in the Metro division got better, other than the Jackets of course. Don't even get me started on Tavares in Toronto or Vinny and the Panthers.
I was very worried about Carolina, now not so much. Still out of the Metro the Caps, Pens and Flyers are better than the Jackets. In the Atlantic Toronto, Tampa and Boston are locks.

Buffalo has gotten better, NJD is young and should improve, idk about Florida but it’s gonna be tough for the CBJ imo.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I thought Carolina would rise just enough to possibly squeeze us out of playoff position next year.

Thankfully, they hired Don Waddell, aka the Doug Maclean of the south.
Meanwhile, it's become pretty clear to me that Panarin is staying for the year. If that's the sort of return quality LWs are bringing in... yeah, no ****ing way.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Meanwhile, it's become pretty clear to me that Panarin is staying for the year. If that's the sort of return quality LWs are bringing in... yeah, no ****ing way.

Agree on the return part. Still hope he can be traded for a decent return to a team he agrees to extend with.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
I've been out of town on vacation this week and just saw that Skinner got traded. That return - ouch. But then again he is a UFA at the end of the year.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
I've been out of town on vacation this week and just saw that Skinner got traded. That return - ouch. But then again he is a UFA at the end of the year.
And the rumor is Skinner vetoed a few other trades. Whether or not that's true, who knows?

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

This could be fun.

I wonder if Benning will go off the deep end and try to get Panarin too. Not that they have much that would be helpful to us right now. They have two forwards better than what we have currently, and Horvat/Boeser will not be part of any return for even a signed Panarin.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Curious the circumstances around Marko Dano's first year back in 2014. It's my understanding he made the team out of camp & then was demoted 8 games in. He went down to Springfield, put up modest numbers & then was recalled late in the season for the final 27 games.

Dano's waiver eligibility was affected by playing over 10 games that year & last season the inability for the Jets to send him down made him a healthy scratch for much of the season, hampering his development.

What was up with the rush to insert him into the lineup in late February 2015? Were there injuries that forced Columbus' hand? The team was out of the playoffs at this point and Springfield was a contender with the bottom falling out of the team immediately after the Dano call-up.

He ended up traded in a few months later. Was he simply being showcased for a trade to the Blackhawks? If so wouldn't the Blackhawks have preferred to have limited their viewings at the AHL level?

I ask as it's a shame to see a player forced to sit with the Jets when he could easily have been waiver exempt until this season had Columbus simply let him stay in Springfield before trading him.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Curious the circumstances around Marko Dano's first year back in 2014. It's my understanding he made the team out of camp & then was demoted 8 games in. He went down to Springfield, put up modest numbers & then was recalled late in the season for the final 27 games.

Dano's waiver eligibility was affected by playing over 10 games that year & last season the inability for the Jets to send him down made him a healthy scratch for much of the season, hampering his development.

What was up with the rush to insert him into the lineup in late February 2015? Were there injuries that forced Columbus' hand? The team was out of the playoffs at this point and Springfield was a contender with the bottom falling out of the team immediately after the Dano call-up.

He ended up traded in a few months later. Was he simply being showcased for a trade to the Blackhawks? If so wouldn't the Blackhawks have preferred to have limited their viewings at the AHL level?

I ask as it's a shame to see a player forced to sit with the Jets when he could easily have been waiver exempt until this season had Columbus simply let him stay in Springfield before trading him.

Dano looked very good in his time in Columbus. He was in the lineup because of his play merited a spot.

Taking into account his time in the Columbus, I'm shocked his career has taken the path it's taken since he got sent to Chicago.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

When he was called up that spring, I don't think anyone anticipated him taking off like he did. It might have been a temporary call-up. There certainly was no interest from Chicago. He just played really well. Dano had great chemistry on a line with Wennberg and Hartnell. He scored a lot - there was no reason to send him down. It was only because of that strong rookie season that he got any interest from Chicago. He went from being a total unknown to perhaps being more valuable than Anisimov in the Panarin trade.

Likewise now, I'm not so sure that Dano needs AHL time for his development, as he needs ice time in general for his development. He needs a trade away from Winnipeg. Send him to a team with a thinner roster. I'd love to him back on Columbus but it's a dog-fight for ice time here too. I don't know if he'd be ahead of a guy like Duclair.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When he was called up that spring, I don't think anyone anticipated him taking off like he did. It might have been a temporary call-up. There certainly was no interest from Chicago. He just played really well. Dano had great chemistry on a line with Wennberg and Hartnell. He scored a lot - there was no reason to send him down. It was only because of that strong rookie season that he got any interest from Chicago. He went from being a total unknown to perhaps being more valuable than Anisimov in the Panarin trade.

Likewise now, I'm not so sure that Dano needs AHL time for his development, as he needs ice time in general for his development. He needs a trade away from Winnipeg. Send him to a team with a thinner roster. I'd love to him back on Columbus but it's a dog-fight for ice time here too. I don't know if he'd be ahead of a guy like Duclair.

Never meant to infer he needed AHL ice time, just that he needed ice time...any ice time. I believe we're in agreement. Having the luxury to have sent him down to the minors last year would have been great for everyone involved.

Quite often an NHL career can be all about opportunity. Dano certainly hasn't been getting that in Winnipeg.

Some allude that's due showing up to camp a step behind others who have trained harder all summer. Jets have quite a gym rats on the roster. If Dano summered in North America & buddied up with Scheifele or Roslovic he'd have a place on any NHL team.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

It was all an elaborate ruse we set up with the Blackhawks to f*** the Jets.

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006
Vegas just upgraded from Neal.....while dumping Tatar's salary too.
When all is said and done, Vegas gave up Nick Suzuki, 2018 1st (VGK), 2019 2nd (VGK), 2019 2nd (CBJ), and a 2021 3rd (VGK) for a year of Max Pacioretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad