Around Hockey XV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
NYR just signed Stempniak for 900K. Call me crazy, but I think their forward lineup is extremely poor going into next season. Midgets on the top two lines like Zuccarello and MSL, washed up softies like Brassard and Nash, and guys like Glass, Lombardi, etc shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. Where's the toughness/grit/heart? There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't finish ahead of them in the Metro.

I agree WRT the NYR forwards, but I felt the same last season, too, which is why I was disappointed to not get past Pittsburgh - because I left that it opened up after that. That said, the Rangers made the Finals last year. McDonagh. Lundqvist. And can Cam be for the Jackets what Zuccarello is for the Rangers?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I agree WRT the NYR forwards, but I felt the same last season, too, which is why I was disappointed to not get past Pittsburgh - because I left that it opened up after that. That said, the Rangers made the Finals last year. McDonagh. Lundqvist. And can Cam be for the Jackets what Zuccarello is for the Rangers?

I think Lundqvist covers up a lot of warts. Their bottom 6 is shockingly bad. Brassard as a 2C + a fat new contract = scary combo (for the NYR, great for the rest of the Metro). Will Nash be more than semi-conscious?

And I'm just curious, but do they have anything resembling a forward prospect pool?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I think Lundqvist covers up a lot of warts. Their bottom 6 is shockingly bad. Brassard as a 2C + a fat new contract = scary combo (for the NYR, great for the rest of the Metro). Will Nash be more than semi-conscious?

And I'm just curious, but do they have anything resembling a forward prospect pool?

JT Miller?

I agree and reiterate though that I have little faith in that roster outside of McDonagh and Hank.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island

Fast and Lindberg are NHLers. Not high scores, but they can play.

Miller, I'm not a fan of, but people see a young Dubinsky in him.

The two guys, who aren't big names, but should be, are Duclair and Buchnevich.
Duclair was a finalist for the qmjhl best player, behind Drouin and Mantha, while being almost a year younger than the latter. Had attitude issues, which caused him to drop, but has since then become Alternate Captain. If he was a few weeks younger he may have been a top-10 pick this year.

Buchnevich put up KHL numbers just below what Tarasenko did in his rookie year.

Two high risk, high regard guys, that are looking good

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Last year I think they had an admirable bottom 6. Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello was a pretty good 3rd line and Moore-Boyle-Dorsett was killing it as a fourth line. But they've lost a lot of good toughness and depth so I can see what you say being true going forward.

And I'd be pretty damn excited about Anthony Duclair if I was a Ranger fan.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Last year I think they had an admirable bottom 6. Pouliot-Brassard-Zuccarello was a pretty good 3rd line and Moore-Boyle-Dorsett was killing it as a fourth line. But they've lost a lot of good toughness and depth so I can see what you say being true going forward.

And I'd be pretty damn excited about Anthony Duclair if I was a Ranger fan.

Agree on Duclair but f anyone knows how well relying on rookies to make your team better will turn out it's the CBJ. Rangers could be a lottery team if King Henry isn't amazing. I envy the team that steals their 1st in 2015... Sather is dumb enough to move it .

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
NYR just signed Stempniak for 900K. Call me crazy, but I think their forward lineup is extremely poor going into next season. Midgets on the top two lines like Zuccarello and MSL, washed up softies like Brassard and Nash, and guys like Glass, Lombardi, etc shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. Where's the toughness/grit/heart? There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't finish ahead of them in the Metro.

nvmd

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Agree on Duclair but f anyone knows how well relying on rookies to make your team better will turn out it's the CBJ. Rangers could be a lottery team if King Henry isn't amazing. I envy the team that steals their 1st in 2015... Sather is dumb enough to move it .

Lottery? You're way overstating it. Beyond Lundqvist and McDonagh, they have some pretty good top six material in St. Louis, Zuccarello, Kreider, Stepan, Nash, Hagelin. I don't like their offseason but they should still make the playoffs.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think the Metro should be tougher. In the second half last year the Metro was a very good division. And I see the Islanders and Devils being much improved. It's going to be a dogfight to get in with these teams fighting for 3-5 playoff spots:

Islanders
Devils
Penguins
Rangers
Flyers
Jackets
Capitals.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I actually think the Metro has gotten worse. I think Pittsburgh will definitely come back to the pack a bit. NYR and PHI had underwhelming offseasons. NJ is still old. Carolina is horrid. The Islanders and Washington may surprise some people (but I think the NYI are another year off). I actually think the Jackets are easily top 2 or 3 in the division.

I see the standings shaking out something like this:

PIT
CBJ
NYR
WSH
PHI
NJ
NYI
CAR

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I tend to agree with major. NY still has a bunch of good players and they have Lundqvist.Plus a year with AV's system under teir belt can't hurt.

NJ added some offense (and shootout ability?) with Cammalleri and possibly Havlat. Jagr is old but still effective. Plus they are going with Schneider as their top G and Brodeur won't be around. I think that's a good.

Washington has a new coach and a couple of new D men who should help their team.

The Isles added a good goalie in Halak and signed some potentially good top 9 forwards.

Philly meh

Carolina could be better if their goalies stay healthy.

I think the Pens could come back to the pack a bit but still figure as the fave, albeit not as strongly as last year.

It will be a dogfight.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think we're the 2nd best team in the Metro. Pittsburgh still has their lethal regular season firepower of Sid, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, and MAF. Not to mention good players such as Sutter, Bennett, Maatta, Dupuis, and Ehrhoff. They are still above us, and pretty high above us too, but we're on our way.

I don't see how the Rangers become any better at all. Sure I think Kreider and Stepan grow, but Brassard being relied on for top 6 minutes frequently has been a story that has been told so many time. He's not consistent enough. They have Zucc who I like alot, but is he really as good as he showed? They have a good defense and Henrik, but I still don't see whats so special about them. They're a playoff team, barely.

Philly is decent, I think they're better than given credit for around here just because they are a 'team' that has played together mostly in tact for a few years now. I think they will battle with NJ and NYI for a playoff spot.

Jersey and NYI are the real question marks. Both spent some money this offseason, and NJ wasn't that far off of making the playoffs. But they will be relying on a 50000 year Jagr, Zajac, Cammi, and inconsistent Henrique for offense. Marty pissed away alot of games for them last year, and they lost in every shootout. Hard to imagine both happening again. NYI are a very young team with now good goaltending with one of the best players in the world. They have Tavares, Okposo (who we will see can duplicate great seasons), Grabner, and the physical pest Martin to go along with top prospects Reinhart and Strome. Both of these teams are real playoff contenders.

Washington, while beefing up their D. Has little offensive depth outside of their top line. They are relying on Ovie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Brouwer only to put up their points. Marcus Johansson is a good player, but he's not a big offensive producer unless paired with OV. They're D got a little better, but Orpik is a trainwreck. Who knows which Holtby you'll get. So many ?'s about WSH.

My opinion is

1. PIT
2. CBJ
3. NYR
4. NYI
5. NJ
6. PHI
7. WSH
8. CAR

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we're the 2nd best team in the Metro. Pittsburgh still has their lethal regular season firepower of Sid, Malkin, Kunitz, Letang, and MAF. Not to mention good players such as Sutter, Bennett, Maatta, Dupuis, and Ehrhoff. They are still above us, and pretty high above us too, but we're on our way.

I don't see how the Rangers become any better at all. Sure I think Kreider and Stepan grow, but Brassard being relied on for top 6 minutes frequently has been a story that has been told so many time. He's not consistent enough. They have Zucc who I like alot, but is he really as good as he showed? They have a good defense and Henrik, but I still don't see whats so special about them. They're a playoff team, barely.

Philly is decent, I think they're better than given credit for around here just because they are a 'team' that has played together mostly in tact for a few years now. I think they will battle with NJ and NYI for a playoff spot.

Jersey and NYI are the real question marks. Both spent some money this offseason, and NJ wasn't that far off of making the playoffs. But they will be relying on a 50000 year Jagr, Zajac, Cammi, and inconsistent Henrique for offense. Marty pissed away alot of games for them last year, and they lost in every shootout. Hard to imagine both happening again. NYI are a very young team with now good goaltending with one of the best players in the world. They have Tavares, Okposo (who we will see can duplicate great seasons), Grabner, and the physical pest Martin to go along with top prospects Reinhart and Strome. Both of these teams are real playoff contenders.

Washington, while beefing up their D. Has little offensive depth outside of their top line. They are relying on Ovie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Brouwer only to put up their points. Marcus Johansson is a good player, but he's not a big offensive producer unless paired with OV. They're D got a little better, but Orpik is a trainwreck. Who knows which Holtby you'll get. So many ?'s about WSH.

My opinion is

1. PIT
2. CBJ
3. NYR
4. NYI
5. NJ
6. PHI
7. WSH
8. CAR

I think this is a reasonable order, but I think the gap between us and the Flyers is pretty darn small. And an injury to a top guy and we could be well below them.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
1. PITT: with Crosby and Malkin healthy, it seems like a lock
2. CBJ: can't see how we DON'T do better than last season as long as injuries don't ravage us
3. NYR: Hank is getting old but he's still Hank, probable rebound season from Nash (if he ever does rebound)
4. PHI: Giroux has another good season, Mason regresses a bit but is serviceable enough
5. WSH: biggest wild card in the division IMO, every aspect of their game could be great or poor.. nothing seems to be for certain
6. NJD/NYI: Schneider posts good enough numbers but Jagr finally shows significant signs of regression and is unable to carry their offense
7. NYI/NJD: success relies entirely on the health of Tavares, Okposo won't repeat.. Halak could surprise but I doubt he's as much of a savior as many think he might be
8. CAR: just kinda... meh.. not god awful but really not much going on there.. think they're the only team in the Metro that's essentially guaranteed to miss the playoffs

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think this is a reasonable order, but I think the gap between us and the Flyers is pretty darn small. And an injury to a top guy and we could be well below them.

I agree. Really the gap between 2-7 in our division is pretty small. And we have problems with Carolina.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Except they're asking for enormous sums of money from a bankrupt city to do it, I think.

Didn't see that in the article but I did see 200 million of private investment money. I'd imagine the state would kick in too. Detroit needs as much help as possible to revitalize. Hope it works out for them.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
It did look like he is looking for private investment money. Not sure who would end up paying for infrastructure up-grades, though. The State might be more of a help then the City.

I am not familiar with the area this is going into, but I hope Ilitch has plans to make it a year-round destination. That has been the one problem for some of the businesses in our Arena District. Great during the Hockey season, but not so great other times. Huntington Park has helped a little, and increased residential building has also helped. Anyone else notice that in recent years, most of the new construction has been office space, and residential? They seem to have moved away from more bars and restaurants.

They need a new Crew stadium built in the Arena District. I am not a big fan of it's current location.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Except they're asking for enormous sums of money from a bankrupt city to do it, I think.

(Can't comment on the specifics, haven't seen them)

You'd ideally like to see more private investment but if there's one area that needs revitalization to move forward, it's Detroit. Still plenty of money in the area, just none of it being actually spent in Detroit.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
They need a new Crew stadium built in the Arena District. I am not a big fan of it's current location.

One of the early plans for the Arena District included just that. I think it was in the area to the west of the Arch/park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad