Around Hockey XV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Was wondering when Daniel Winnik would find a job.. just signed with Toronto

I think the quantity of Toronto's additions will really help them. I could never understand why they were content to put Mclaren and Orr out there all the time. Now they should be more competitive throughout their roster.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I think the quantity of Toronto's additions will really help them. I could never understand why they were content to put Mclaren and Orr out there all the time. Now they should be more competitive throughout their roster.

I still find it humorous that a lot of Toronto fans are really stoked about having Matt Frattin in their top 6. I'm not sure that setup is conducive to success in the upcoming season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I still find it humorous that a lot of Toronto fans are really stoked about having Matt Frattin in their top 6. I'm not sure that setup is conducive to success in the upcoming season.

I will partially side with Leafs fans on this point. They really do know him a lot better than Jackets or Kings fans do.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Jake Gardiner 5 year AAV $4.05M

for someone who's in a lot of trade threads I would not have thought him worth that.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Jake Gardiner 5 year AAV $4.05M

for someone who's in a lot of trade threads I would not have thought him worth that.

He's making more money - at the same term - as Mark Giordano, Cam Fowler, and Victor Hedman.

I'm a big Gardiner fan, but to view this contract as anything but a mistake is a strange way to look at it. With another (better?) similar player in the system in Morgan Rielly, one has to wonder what they were thinking. Not to mention, Dion Phaneuf is on the left side, and they just acquired Roman Polak. That's a logjam, especially on the powerplay ... I really think they would have benefited from trading Gardiner and striking while the iron is still warm with him. I don't think he'll be anything more than he is for the Leafs ... he's a classic change of scenery case, if you ask me.

Time will tell ... but I think a bridge deal would have been smarter. In two years, it's likely that you don't have to pay him that much more than you did today anyhow.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
ummmm WHAT?

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 10m
P.K. Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration and the Canadiens are seeking $5.25 million on a one-year deal.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
ummmm WHAT?

Ken Campbell ‏@THNKenCampbell 10m
P.K. Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration and the Canadiens are seeking $5.25 million on a one-year deal.

Montreal had better get him signed before the hearing. That's an obscenely low number filed by the team; they could make an ironclad case that their argument over Subban is the accurate one and still lose because it's that bad.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 1m
Despite arb numbers, Habs ultimate magic AAV number seems to be bw $6.5M-$7M, whereas PK camp is bw $7.5M-$8M. We shall see where it falls.

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
Despite arb numbers, Habs ultimate magic AAV number seems to be bw $6.5M-$7M, whereas PK camp is bw $7.5M-$8M. We shall see where it falls.

I see a $7.2M deal worked out between the two sides. I'd say that is pretty fair for both PK and the Habs

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Anything under 8M should be a good deal for the Habs. I'm not going to say he's as valuable as Toews to a team, but would you rather have PK at 8 or Toews at 10.5? It's a good question.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Anything under 8M should be a good deal for the Habs. I'm not going to say he's as valuable as Toews to a team, but would you rather have PK at 8 or Toews at 10.5? It's a good question.

A very valid question, but I think both guys would be overpaid at those amounts. I think the Hawks will regret those contracts big time, probably starting in about 1-2 years.

I think Subban should be right about where Shea Weber is. I think Weber is the better asset, but he's playing for a smaller market team. Thus, I think Subban's value on a larger market team should put him in around the same dollar range. If that's the comparison we would look at.

IHeartZherdev*

I think PK is definitely worth at least $8.5 million a year.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
After taking PK to the shed last negotiations the Habs should throw him a bone and at least give him Rick Nash money.

Hahaha.. Rick Nash money

joshjoshjosh

ಠ_ಠ
Feb 15, 2010
Guam
8 years, $72 million for Subban. Could have had him for Drew Doughty money if they signed him two years ago.

Bergevin stuck to his guns, and all it cost him was the third-highest cap hit in the league

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Ben Bishop with a 2 year extension 5.95 AAV

This will really set a tone for Bob I bet.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
8 years, $72 million for Subban. Could have had him for Drew Doughty money if they signed him two years ago.

Bergevin stuck to his guns, and all it cost him was the third-highest cap hit in the league

Doughty money? Doughty makes $7m. Two years ago the consensus was that Subban's camp wanted $5-$6m long term. Bergevin could have saved a fortune!

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ben Bishop with a 2 year extension 5.95 AAV

This will really set a tone for Bob I bet.

Could be a reference point but Bob already makes 5.75. Interestingly their career numbers are almost identical Bob 2.46 & .919 vs BB at 2.40 & .920 although Bob has better the last 2 years.

I see Bob getting close to 7 for 6 or 7 years.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Former Jacket Dan Fritsche in the News...

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458635

The National Hockey League has been hit with another lawsuit filed by former players who charge the league markets and profits from extreme violence.

The latest lawsuit, which also alleges NHL officials are aware of the dangers of head trauma but downplay those risks, was filed July 25 in New York.

Former New York Islanders forward Chris Ferraro, who played 74 NHL games from 1996 to 2002, and Dan Fritsche, who played 256 games in the league between 2003 and 2009, are the only former players listed as complainants.

Sad to hear about him in this manner. I remember the post-draft articles on him, comparing him to Staal and Horton ... seems like so long ago.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=458635

Sad to hear about him in this manner. I remember the post-draft articles on him, comparing him to Staal and Horton ... seems like so long ago.

Now that the lawsuits are starting, get ready to see the NHL start reacting the way the NFL has in taking every precaution and erroring on the side of caution when it comes to head hits. If you like the big hits youre probably going to be disappointed in the way the NHL is headed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille