Around Hockey XV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Ties? Really? I am a still a newer fan, but one of the things that kept me away from hockey (and still does from soccer) were ties. What is the point of playing the game if at the end you still don't know which team is better? I know we all wish we could let hockey games continue 5 on 5 till we find a winner, but that isn't going to happen unless something major changes in the league/TV dynamics. 3 on 3 is entertaining hockey, and seems like the second best option to me.

A shootout only determines which team is better at that part of the game. A tie reflects that for that particular game the teams were even.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
A shootout only determines which team is better at that part of the game. A tie reflects that for that particular game the teams were even.

I agree there should still be ties. Or at the very least get rid of the loser point.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Ties? Really? I am a still a newer fan, but one of the things that kept me away from hockey (and still does from soccer) were ties. What is the point of playing the game if at the end you still don't know which team is better? I know we all wish we could let hockey games continue 5 on 5 till we find a winner, but that isn't going to happen unless something major changes in the league/TV dynamics. 3 on 3 is entertaining hockey, and seems like the second best option to me.

Man the Western mentality for having to determine a winner. I don't know if that got beat into us with Baseball or what.

This one is actually pretty easy. Determining the better team on a nightly basis is what the playoffs are for. The regular season is just to determine who plays for the real games in which a winner needs to be determined.

Did they change the rules in pro-football to where there can't be ties now?

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
Man the Western mentality for having to determine a winner. I don't know if that got beat into us with Baseball or what.

This one is actually pretty easy. Determining the better team on a nightly basis is what the playoffs are for. The regular season is just to determine who plays for the real games in which a winner needs to be determined.

Did they change the rules in pro-football to where there can't be ties now?

Yeah, none of the major 4 sports in the US can end in ties. Really surprised I'm the only one who hates the idea of ties though. To each his own.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I agree there should still be ties. Or at the very least get rid of the loser point.

The problem with getting rid of the lower point (at least from the nhl's view) is that then the playoffs are then settled for the most part weeks before then of the season and you end up with NBA syndrome at the end of the season, 90% of the teams playing for nothing.

Jaxs

Jul 4, 2008
I don't like ties either. I'm not sure if the 3 on 3 will make to the NHL, but most of the experimental rules that the AHL tries, end up making it to the NHL.

3 on 3 will usually result in a goal as many saw in the development camp yesterday. It does seem kind of gimmicky, like the shootout, so I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I don't care for the shootout much, but I came to accept it.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio
I agree. Its still a gimmick. I think a 3-2-1 point system is still the best way to go. Ties should be an acceptable end result.

It's pretty much irrelevant to the standings. Using the website: http://www.hockeystandings.info/ you can see that the standings are nearly identical regardless if the "gimmicks" system or ties system or 3 point system is used.

The only playoff differences last season would have been:

3 point system: STL jumps over COL for top seed in Central Division

No-Shootout system (Ties): MON jumps over TB for #2 seed in Atlantic Division

So, if it's pretty much irrelevant, I say allow "gimmicks" for the fans who enjoy them and the traditionalists can get an early jump on traffic.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
Yeah, none of the major 4 sports in the US can end in ties. Really surprised I'm the only one who hates the idea of ties though. To each his own.

I'm pretty sure that the NFL can still end in a tie if the game is tied after 1 15-minute overtime (except in the playoffs). Maybe you're thinking of college football.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Using an individual skills competition to decide a team game is lame. That is all.

Same debate, different day.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Congrats Jeff...

BsY99cHCcAAmPa5.jpg:large

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Regardless of where you stand on fighting in hockey, I recommend watching "The Last Gladiator" ... it's available on Netflix for those who have it. Really interesting documentary that goes behind the scenes with some of the toughest enforcers the league has ever seen, as well as Chris Nilan (pun intended) ...

Some of the Chris Nilan discussion is actually a little scary. Maybe this will shed some light on why the team pays Jared Boll so much. To have a guy that does what he does and is loved in the locker room, is actually a valuable thing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Well Corey Crawford is not an elite goalie nor is Niemi and both of them hoisted the Cup if I recall correctly. Not saying Mason is the answer but he could be if he has a hot streak and the rest of team is playing well.
A goalie only needs to be elite or near-elite for 16 games.
the 2010 and 2013 Blackhawks teams were much, much better than what Philly has now, though

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Brassard seeking $5.5m long term: http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/539013

I understand he's better than he used to be, but that's a ridiculous number for Brassard. Ship his greedy ass to Siberia.

He's currently the #2 C for the Rangers. We just signed our 2.5 C for 5.85. He seems to be in the vicinity of the market. I don't think he'll wind up getting it because of the Rangers cap issues but ask for 5.5 and he could possibly wind up 4.5-5 for 5 or 6 years. Nice deal for him if he can get it.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
He's currently the #2 C for the Rangers. We just signed our 2.5 C for 5.85. He seems to be in the vicinity of the market. I don't think he'll wind up getting it because of the Rangers cap issues but ask for 5.5 and he could possibly wind up 4.5-5 for 5 or 6 years. Nice deal for him if he can get it.

Unfortunately Brass offer none of the intangibles that Dubi does and he does not play a full 200 ft game. Brass is a 3C with PP skills. He'll only be the 2C on the Rags because they have no one better not because he's deserving. A guy with his skills and he's never put up 50 pts in the NHL.... Considering he is terrible in the faceoff circle (improved but still bad if you watch him), soft in his own zone, not great on the forecheck, doesn't play the PK.... nah $5.5MM. Pass in a big way

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Unfortunately Brass offer none of the intangibles that Dubi does and he does not play a full 200 ft game. Brass is a 3C with PP skills. He'll only be the 2C on the Rags because they have no one better not because he's deserving. A guy with his skills and he's never put up 50 pts in the NHL.... Considering he is terrible in the faceoff circle (improved but still bad if you watch him), soft in his own zone, not great on the forecheck, doesn't play the PK.... nah $5.5MM. Pass in a big way

I agree with you and that is why I think he'll either sign long term for less or take the arb's award and test free agency next year. I was merely saying that he is asking for market rates and who can blame him for that?

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
NYR just signed Stempniak for 900K. Call me crazy, but I think their forward lineup is extremely poor going into next season. Midgets on the top two lines like Zuccarello and MSL, washed up softies like Brassard and Nash, and guys like Glass, Lombardi, etc shouldn't be anywhere near an NHL roster. Where's the toughness/grit/heart? There's absolutely no reason why we shouldn't finish ahead of them in the Metro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad