Will LA be a playoff team? .....24-25 edition

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
I know way to early but just my brain trying to work things out given the state of the team.

BLuc will need to make some changes this summer obviously. I'm guessing they stick it out with Hiller which doesn't bother me too much. I think Sturm may get some consideration if he wins the Calder but they promoted Hiller over him once already.

UFAs-I just think they are gone. Young guys are ready and cap space is greatly needed. Clarke is ready to step in and they seem hesitant to play a righty on the left. I think there is a need for an upgrade over Englund but they seem to double down on his need. At one more cheap year I don't see anything changing.

Anderson Doughty
Gavrikov Clarke
Englund Spence (Spence stays with Englund cause I don't think Clarke is a good fit there)
Moverare
*LHD still seems like a glaring need

I expect Thomas and Turcotte to take spots. I'd be shocked if Helenius and Lee don't get long looks given their size component. LA has been very small the past few years. If any UFA does come back it may be papa Lewis and his mentorship program but I hope not honestly. Fagemo seems to be a very specific tool that LA can't seem find a place for but I'm hoping he gets a shot. I still think he can play but the previous system is not conduecive to his game it seems. That would have to change. Atu Jameson could be an outside shot but likely ends up in the AHL imho. Not sure if any more college guys can pull a Laferriere this upcoming year. I do want to see Byfield (I think he gets paid too) move to the center and PLD move to wing but who knows what happens with that. Kopi's minutes should be reduced if Byfield is moved to center. Fiala is such a wild card. I like him with Danault and Moore better than anywhere else in the lineup. Kempe is a first line winger but they could spred the wealth and keep him with Kopi as a pair. I imagine the forward group as something like this:

Dubois Byfield Kempe (Wing for Dubois just seems like a neccesity at this point)
Fiala Danault Moore
Turcotte Kopitar Fagemo
Laferriere Helenius Thomas
Lee
*A UFA power forward type seems like a need
*Not opposed to an RV return on a one year deal if at all possible

This line up is still small and rather rookie dependent. It would be cost effective tho and maybe allow for the pursuit of a solid goalie. I do think they will look but I guess they run back two of Copley/Talbot/Rittich. Of the three I think Rittich is the most solid honestly.

Rittich
Copley

Talbot -maybe a team is willing to pay more than LA.

In the end I think LA runs a cheap tandem in hopes Portillo is on the rize and can step in sooner than later.

Now a run through the Pacific teams-

Oilers: Still have McD and I'm guessing Draisatl stays too. They are not a cup contender in my eyes but they are likely a top 3 yearly Pac team.

Vegas: Some pieces likely moving out but still a competitive good team. Top 3 in Pac.

Vancouver: They go as Demko goes. They have more high end skill than LA. Can they repeat this past year. I think so, Tocchet is a good coach.

Calgary: Seems like they have shot themselves in the foot a lot lately. They are on par with LA in my mind and depending on injuries and they could be close to LA in the standings.

Seattle: Lost some key pieces from two years ago. A full year of Daccord could go a long way. Not sure where they slot in but they are probably in the LA tier group.

Anaheim: I know I'll get slammed for this but I think they are closer to the playoffs next year than they are a 1st overall. Dostal is a good goalie and they have young qualities scorers and dmen coming in. Cutter Guether is another big add. Zellweger is a stud too. Not sure they get to the playoffs but they may not be a team LA can easily feast on either.

San Jose: I really like Mackenzie Blackwood, wish LA had snagged him. Cellebrini and Smith with help them be a bit more fun to watch at least. Still think they are in the bottom of the Pac. They will probalby steal a game or two from LA.

My Prediction if injuries don't play a major factor:

Top three in whatever order:
Oilers
Vegas
Vancouver

Fighting for wild card:
LA
Calgary
Seattle
Anaheim

Last:
San Jose

LA season will come down to system and players taking bigger steps. QB and PLD will need to have really good years. (Like 20 points at the least improvements)

Fiala and Kempe: Can they reach 90 points with a more open system?

Goaltending: Can they make a deal for a legit upgrade? Or is it more of the same?

Can the the rookies step in and improve upon or maintain the play of the departed UFAs?

Clarke-Will he be able to make an impact? Will the organization let him?

Will the power play once again be predictable and stagnant?

Yes it is way to early for this but I think LA is 50/50 as we currently sit for the playoffs. The skill is there to be really good. But the weaknesses haven't really been rectified or seem likely to be. Are they just a bunch of mid tiered skill guys that need to win 2-1 games or can they be more?

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
They'll finish exactly where they have finished the last 3 years, Pacific-3 or a WC spot, and they will lose to a better constructed team in the 1st round. But an injury or two could easily make it into an 02-03 type season, where the wheels came off the last Kings black hole team.

The Kings are as far away from being a Stanley Cup contender as any team in the NHL, Anaheim and SJ would have much higher odds than the Kings on who wins a cup next, because they are being constructed properly. Is it a guarantee it works? Nope. Is it a guarantee the Kings wont win a cup with this group? Yes.

SJ will play Celebrini and Smith alot (More McDavid caliber players who don't need AHL time), they will get all the learning curve stuff out of the way this season, they will have another Top 5 pick and add another guy to go with them.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
It's certainly possible. Even with PLD underperforming and young talent being under-utilized, they made the playoffs.

Byfield, Clarke, Turcotte, Thomas, etc can certainly grow more and contribute further. PLD could bounce back from his career worst.

Problem is they still have question marks in goaltending. And they REALLY need to work on replenishing the cupboard as they've traded a lot of future assets for now. Acquiring and building on more future pieces is critical.

And of course, this would be better with establishing an identity and plan beyond "just make the playoffs."

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
It's certainly possible. Even with PLD underperforming and young talent being under-utilized, they made the playoffs.

Byfield, Clarke, Turcotte, Thomas, etc can certainly grow more and contribute further. PLD could bounce back from his career worst.

Problem is they still have question marks in goaltending. And they REALLY need to work on replenishing the cupboard as they've traded a lot of future assets for now. Acquiring and building on more future pieces is critical.

And of course, this would be better with establishing an identity and plan beyond "just make the playoffs."
I can see them being more consistently good or bad. I don’t think they will have the long winning and losing streaks. So much will have to come from within. Unless it’s a shocking trade I can’t see any outside help. There are no grade a ufa goalies and trade for a top goalie is likely to come at a painful price.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Until we know which coach it is, we won’t know if he can deliver the system BLuc decides he has to play. It will also depend on the return we get for Byfield and Clarke. Too many variables at this point.

tny760

Mar 12, 2017
can't comment on this one til the season starts imo

too many lineup and system variables

Reactions: Surf Nutz

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
No matter what happens, it'll be a good year. If they miss the POs or get bounced again in the first round, chances are extremely high BLuc is finally purged from the organization.

Only way they stay is if LA makes it past the first round, in which case, that'd be cool to finally win a series after a decade.

Either way, I'm excited!

Reactions: LAKings88

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
The team isn't bad enough to miss and I don't anticipate the teams that did miss like Calgary, Seattle, St. Louis or Minnesota to usurp us this offseason, even though its not out of the realm of possibility.

Coaching hire also is a big difference. I think most of us didn't think that Vancouver would as good as they ended up being and look at how well Tocchett has done with them.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If they’re healthy next season they should make the playoffs and be the underdogs in round one. So par for the course.

The most obvious scenario is a wild card seed and subsequent loss to the Oilers right after game 83.

The only real question for next season is does Blake get extended or does he get fired.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
No matter what happens, it'll be a good year. If they miss the POs or get bounced again in the first round, chances are extremely high BLuc is finally purged from the organization.

Only way they stay is if LA makes it past the first round, in which case, that'd be cool to finally win a series after a decade.

Either way, I'm excited!
We said the same exact thing this time last year. Who’s to say it wouldn’t just happen again?

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Seattle, Minnesota, St Louis, and Utah are the 4 teams that missed that will be pushing LA for the WC slots. Calgary needs to commit to a rebuild, Anaheim is still a year or two away, San Jose will still finish near the bottom of the league. Vancouver won't do as well next year, Edmonton won't start as bad, Las Vegas should do better (no Cup hangover), then LA who shouldn't surprise anyone IF they miss.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There's about 5 really good teams in the league.
There's about 5 really bad teams in the league.
The remaining 20 or so teams are all middling.

There's a lot of randomness from year to year in that middle 20 bracket. It's the nature of the sport. This is where the King are.

A few things go their way and they'll be top 10, a few bad breaks and they could finish worse than 20th. That's the NHL.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
They NEED to accept being worse so that they can take the necessary steps to get better.

I feel like I have been saying that exact same thing nine Mays in a row. So, they will pay thru the nose to get a little bit better on paper, as usual.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
This. With all the possible moves this team could be anywhere .
I don’t think there are a lot of possible moves honestly.

1. Goalie
2. UFAs

Already said they want to bring in youth.

I don’t see them being wildly different.

Could go with an out of the blue ufa or a shocking trade like Danault but I think they mostly run it back.

Next year is a long way away but I think the tier groups aren’t much different.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don’t think there are a lot of possible moves honestly.

1. Goalie
2. UFAs

Already said they want to bring in youth.

I don’t see them being wildly different.

Could go with an out of the blue ufa or a shocking trade like Danault but I think they mostly run it back.

Next year is a long way away but I think the tier groups aren’t much different.
I think there's a significant chance they make a big move.

Rightly or wrongly, they're trying to win NOW.

2021: Danault, Arvidsson
2022: Fiala
2023: Gavrikov, PLD. Traded Quick
2024: ????

Reactions: lumbergh

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I’ve already gone on record that there’s a strong chance they miss the playoffs in 24/25 so I’m man enough to officially hold myself to that take.

All evidence suggests a continued steady regression due to the age of their core players, along with all the other roster/system/identity issues we beat to death around here.

They had a very healthy 23/24 with a major breakout from a young player and still got worse.

Variance is real, yes. But this team just went 29-27-8 over a 64 game stretch (including playoffs). That’s a very large, very bad sample size.

DyslexicTom

Jan 1, 2009
I’ve already gone on record that there’s a strong chance they miss the playoffs in 24/25 so I’m man enough to officially hold myself to that take.

All evidence suggests a continued steady regression due to the age of their core players, along with all the other roster/system/identity issues we beat to death around here.

They had a very healthy 23/24 with a major breakout from a young player and still got worse.

Variance is real, yes. But this team just went 29-27-8 over a 64 game stretch (including playoffs). That’s a very large, very bad sample size.
Even if they miss, they'll just barely miss, meaning that they won't be able to draft high, and management will take it as more signs that the plan is working, and that the Kings are just "right there".

At least we won 2 Cups.

LAKings88

Fire BLuc
Dec 4, 2006
Blackhole
Even if they miss, they'll just barely miss, meaning that they won't be able to draft high, and management will take it as more signs that the plan is working, and that the Kings are just "right there".

At least we won 2 Cups.
Yeah, black hole drafting spots. Kings need to restock so I’d be shocked if they move the first this year. Yannetti has his work cut out for him.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad