Around Hockey XV (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmoopatties

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe the counterfeiter saw Smyth played for "COL" and though it meant Columbus.:laugh:

No real explanation otherwise.

I was kinda thinking maybe there was a trade rumor or a botched deal or something... I've been a Jackets fan since day one (before day one actually) but I never really followed that kinda stuff very closely until last season. I usually just started paying attention to who was on the team a couple of weeks before the season started. Starting to think that was better for my blood pressure.

Speaking of being a fan since before day one and tee shirts, I wish I still had this one...

http://bluejacketspucks.blogspot.com/2014/01/columbus-puck-stops-here.html

I also like the prototype jersey on that site that incorporates the light blue that was part of the original CBJ color scheme. I really want to comment on the posts there, but you have to be signed up or something...

shmoopatties

Jul 6, 2014
Anyone here ever attend a Hawks game at the Ohio Center?

1653182.jpg

Or a Stars game at the Fairgrounds?

2995353787_f52ccd1690.jpg

I made it to one of each...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
they have one good run left...better make it count

Puts them at about 65 mm in cap payroll for next year with 3 F's & 4 D to sign. So say about 10 mill in space for 7 guys assuming cap goes to 75 next year which is probably high?

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod 34s
Kane & Toews' cap hits will account for approx. 28% of Chicago's total salary cap in 2015-16, if the cap hits the projected $75M.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
here's a link

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456795

Wowsa. Kind of puts another thing for Jarmo & Joey to kick around in their negotiations. Does Jarmo really want to deal with this level of salary two years down the road? Is Joey now thinking term and a few more $? Sure adds to the situation.

This is why I've been saying for six months that we oughta just go ahead and give Joey his term now. He's not even asking for $6m are anything like that, right?

FreeBoomer61

Feb 8, 2011
While I'm still one of those that feel Jarmo should call about Patrick Sharp, my guess is the Hawks will look to move Hossa.

Hossa is very unlikely to be moved because of cap recapture penalties

This is why I've been saying for six months that we oughta just go ahead and give Joey his term now. He's not even asking for $6m are anything like that, right?

Honestly, I would really like to see a 6-8 year contract for Joey at this point. It buys some years of FA and most likely will be at a bargain compared to his market price.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Who knows? If I was trying to be fair to both sides I'd say 5 years (buys 2 years of UFA) and about 5.5 mill. Of course 5 years from now it might cost 10 mill a year to keep him if he averages 70+ points a year.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
In 2017, the Hawks will have a cap hit of $41m for 6 players :laugh:

They're spending $53.6 million on their top 8 guys NEXT season (assuming no one is moved), plus $4 mill on Bickell.

Saad/Leddy/Kruger will be RFAs. Rozsival, Oduya, and Brad Richards will be UFAs.

And they have handed out various forms of NTCs/NMCs like candy. I think 12 guys on their roster have something in their contract currently.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
They may try to keep Sharp for another run this year, but I have to think he'll be gone before before July 1 next year. As much as we all hate talking about offer sheets here right now, the Hawks would be at high risk of not being able to match one thrown Saad's way next year.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
The AHL has adopted a new overtime format:

Rule 85 (“Overtime”)

During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape” of the entire ice surface.

Teams will change ends at the start of overtime.

Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.

If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

A good test for future NHL implementation?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Rule 85 (“Overtimeâ€)

During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape†of the entire ice surface.

Full playing strength will be 4-on-4 until the first whistle following three minutes of play (4:00 remaining), at which time full strength will be reduced to 3-on-3 for the duration of the overtime period.

If the game is still tied following overtime, a winner will be determined by a three-player shootout.

I have been pushing this idea for a while. I think reducing shootouts is a good idea, and 3 on 3 could be really fun to watch. Heck I'd do a 2 on 2 stage after that! Or turn the nets around and take out the goalies!

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010

Rule 85 (“Overtimeâ€)

During the regular season, the sudden-death overtime period will be seven minutes (7:00) in length, preceded by a “dry scrape†of the entire ice surface.

As someone who will be seeing this format quite often (Lake Erie Monster half STH), my only quibble is I'd prefer two separate four or five minute overtime periods if they want to do "4-on-4 then 3-on-3" rather than changing the number of players mid-period. I've seen continuous runs of play of four minutes or more (especially with less men on the ice in overtime) so you may not get the stoppage to reduce the game to three men a side.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I assume if someone takes a penalty in the 3on3 then it goes to 4on3 Powerplay?

Columbus Mike

2015-16 CBJ
Feb 21, 2008
It's all a poor gimmick. It would be more tolerable if you got three points for winning in regulation, but to give essentially the same reward to a 3v3 OT winner to someone that wins in regulation really seems dumb.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It's all a poor gimmick. It would be more tolerable if you got three points for winning in regulation, but to give essentially the same reward to a 3v3 OT winner to someone that wins in regulation really seems dumb.

I agree. Its still a gimmick. I think a 3-2-1 point system is still the best way to go. Ties should be an acceptable end result.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I agree. Its still a gimmick. I think a 3-2-1 point system is still the best way to go. Ties should be an acceptable end result.

Ties? Really? I am a still a newer fan, but one of the things that kept me away from hockey (and still does from soccer) were ties. What is the point of playing the game if at the end you still don't know which team is better? I know we all wish we could let hockey games continue 5 on 5 till we find a winner, but that isn't going to happen unless something major changes in the league/TV dynamics. 3 on 3 is entertaining hockey, and seems like the second best option to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad