Around Hockey XII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bizzz*

Only 2 of the other 7 Metro division teams don't have a former Jacket on the roster. The total amount of guys that used to wear union blue in Metropolitan is 11 now (12 if you count someone who shouldn't be named).

FANonymous

Nov 7, 2010
Only 2 of the other 7 Metro division teams don't have a former Jacket on the roster. The total amount of guys that used to wear union blue in Metropolitan is 11 now (12 if you count someone who shouldn't be named).

I thought he still played for LA. :sarcasm:

Inglewood JACKets

Jan 11, 2011
Columbus, OH
Rick Nash asked for a trade. Adam Foote asked for a trade. Jeff Carter never did.

I'm not sure if it was reported that he in fact did not request a trade, but if that was reported it was all for PR and to keep his trade value from dropping. Everything I heard on the situation was it was very clear he did not want to be hear. We all know he cried his way to a cup.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I'm not sure if it was reported that he in fact did not request a trade, but if that was reported it was all for PR and to keep his trade value from dropping. Everything I heard on the situation was it was very clear he did not want to be hear. We all know he cried his way to a cup.

Agreed, he may not have said anything publicly, but his play spoke volumes. The player you see in LA is nothing like the "player" who sulked through his time in Columbus.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Rick Nash asked for a trade. Adam Foote asked for a trade. Jeff Carter never did.

Damn... you don't speak often but when you do your often correct... (not sucking up, just telling it the way I see it as of today)....

Oh, I also liked Jeff Carter too.... lol

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I know its the Sabres, but the Rangers won again, they're starting to get rolling, we better too.

RogerSterling

Aug 25, 2013
Columbus needs to worry about Columbus. It's way too early to care what other teams do.

So fans who have no impact on the team's fate shouldn't speculate about the rest of the league and its impact on the Jackets? I mean, I agree that the players, coaches, and front office should be focused on the task at hand (namely Pittsburgh today), but this lame notion that fans should also focus on the current game and/or focus only on our team and what it can do to make the playoffs is ridiculous. We have next to zero impact on this team's play, which holds especially true when you take a look at the current attendance numbers for the Jackets - 29th in average percent of capacity and 27th in average attendance (I'm sure those numbers will get a big boost tonight, however, and hopefully not from Penguins fans).

So what's the problem with speculating on the play of the division as a whole in the "Around Hockey" thread? Will our speculation cause the team to lose focus on tonight's contest and play poorly? Should we not talk about anything on here aside from the team's next game and the previous game's results?

Roadman

Moving On
Sep 9, 2009
London OH
So fans who have no impact on the team's fate shouldn't speculate about the rest of the league and its impact on the Jackets? I mean, I agree that the players, coaches, and front office should be focused on the task at hand (namely Pittsburgh today), but this lame notion that fans should also focus on the current game and/or focus only on our team and what it can do to make the playoffs is ridiculous. We have next to zero impact on this team's play, which holds especially true when you take a look at the current attendance numbers for the Jackets - 29th in average percent of capacity and 27th in average attendance (I'm sure those numbers will get a big boost tonight, however, and hopefully not from Penguins fans).

So what's the problem with speculating on the play of the division as a whole in the "Around Hockey" thread? Will our speculation cause the team to lose focus on tonight's contest and play poorly? Should we not talk about anything on here aside from the team's next game and the previous game's results?

where's the fun in that. It's what a Hockey board does, or so I've been told.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Thoughts on the Emery fiasco

If a player leaves the bench to start or join an altercation, they are automatically suspended by the NHL. It doesn't matter if it's Bryan Berard simply jumping on the back of an opponent to prevent one of his teammates from getting his face smashed into the ice - it's 10 games.

Also, should it be decided that a player has intended to injure an opponent, they are typically ejected from the game, and eventually suspended for 3-10 games.

In this case, Ray Emery left his crease during an altercation; skated 200 feet to the opposite end of the ice, ignored the official's attempt to keep him from attacking an opponent, and then proceeded to pummel a defenseless opponent in the back of the head as he attempted to get away.

Two things should happen here:

1. Ray Emery should be suspended indefinitely and have an in person hearing, at which point he should be suspended for 10 (or more) games for skating across the rink to join in an altercation, and then intending to injure a defenseless opponent. I understand that it wasn't checking from behind, targeting the head, or boarding ... but it's intent to injure either way. Especially when the opposing goaltender is in the midst of a shutout.

2. The official who stood 10 feet away and watched the goaltender of the Washington Capitals get punched repeatedly in the back of the head as he was on the ice, should be fired immediately.

Patrick Roy's kid was suspended long-term by the QMJHL and charged with assault for essentially doing the same thing. Why is this any different?

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008

Wow. You're reading way too much into it. Relax.

I didn't mean "Columbus should just worry about Columbus" as if it had some sort of impact on the outcome of games, let's not be stupid.

I meant it as simply, Columbus needs to take care of Columbus in response to angst about other teams coming on here and there. If we're to be concerned every time a team around Columbus in the standings wins a couple, particularly at game 10, I think a lot of people are going to needlessly worry themselves into a fit. Seems like a lot of wasted energy for nothing. It's an 82 game season with ebbs and flows for every team - there shouldn't be panic at every shift in the standings. Maybe some enjoy worrying about what other teams do, I'm just not that guy. I worry about how my team is doing and in this case, I think if my team takes care of what they can control, they'll be ok.

Socks

Stuff and Things Man
Nov 14, 2007
Stuff and Things
I'm pretty sure the players wouldn't care one way or the other given that so few are left from that era, but can anyone picture the fan reaction if the Jackets happened to be playing the Avs the night Foote's jersey got retired?

Personally, while I think he's a douchenozzle, I can appreciate his importance to the Avs and be fine with them doing this. That wouldn't stop me from leaving a bag of flaming dog crap on his porch if given the opportunity.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If a player leaves the bench to start or join an altercation, they are automatically suspended by the NHL. It doesn't matter if it's Bryan Berard simply jumping on the back of an opponent to prevent one of his teammates from getting his face smashed into the ice - it's 10 games.

Also, should it be decided that a player has intended to injure an opponent, they are typically ejected from the game, and eventually suspended for 3-10 games.

In this case, Ray Emery left his crease during an altercation; skated 200 feet to the opposite end of the ice, ignored the official's attempt to keep him from attacking an opponent, and then proceeded to pummel a defenseless opponent in the back of the head as he attempted to get away.

Two things should happen here:

1. Ray Emery should be suspended indefinitely and have an in person hearing, at which point he should be suspended for 10 (or more) games for skating across the rink to join in an altercation, and then intending to injure a defenseless opponent. I understand that it wasn't checking from behind, targeting the head, or boarding ... but it's intent to injure either way. Especially when the opposing goaltender is in the midst of a shutout.

2. The official who stood 10 feet away and watched the goaltender of the Washington Capitals get punched repeatedly in the back of the head as he was on the ice, should be fired immediately.

Patrick Roy's kid was suspended long-term by the QMJHL and charged with assault for essentially doing the same thing. Why is this any different?

I agree. It ought to be a 10 game suspension at a minimum, triple that because he's a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia