Around Hockey XII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Here's a bit of hockey humor from Kerry Fraser's column

...He sent his captain over to me at the stoppage who very politely relayed a message for me. The captain said, "My coach wants to know if he can get a penalty for 'thinking'?" Somewhat confused by the question, I responded by saying, "I guess not as long as he doesn't think out loud!" The captain then said, "In that case, he wanted me to tell you he thinks you're an 'Effing A#$%^&*!"

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=424104

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Here's a bit of hockey humor from Kerry Fraser's column

...He sent his captain over to me at the stoppage who very politely relayed a message for me. The captain said, "My coach wants to know if he can get a penalty for 'thinking'?" Somewhat confused by the question, I responded by saying, "I guess not as long as he doesn't think out loud!" The captain then said, "In that case, he wanted me to tell you he thinks you're an 'Effing A#$%^&*!"

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=424104

It's an old story, and I've heard it said about more coaches and managers than I can count. The earliest mention I've seen is of Jimmy Dykes, who started managing the White Sox in 1934.

Not saying it didn't happen to Fraser as he claims, but it's not exactly new material.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Now that Patrick Roy is head coach of the Avs "as for their first round pick speculation keep an eye on Miller or Vanek for that situation..." (paraphrased per WGRZ NBC Buffalo today)

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
Now that Patrick Roy is head coach of the Avs "as for their first round pick speculation keep an eye on Miller or Vanek for that situation..." (paraphrased per WGRZ NBC Buffalo today)

He's coach, president of hockey ops, and apparently will also be handling all the trades as well (so he's de facto GM as well).

As has been the case so many times in other sports, I believe this is destined to be not just a failure, but a catastrophic one. We need look no further than Eric Mangini in recent history to see why...of course, Doug MacLean fits the bill as well. Then again, the difference with both of them is that they'd previously at least been a coach at the level they tried to be coach/GM at. Roy has not.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
He's coach, president of hockey ops, and apparently will also be handling all the trades as well (so he's de facto GM as well).

As has been the case so many times in other sports, I believe this is destined to be not just a failure, but a catastrophic one. We need look no further than Eric Mangini in recent history to see why...of course, Doug MacLean fits the bill as well. Then again, the difference with both of them is that they'd previously at least been a coach at the level they tried to be coach/GM at. Roy has not.

I didn't realize he was getting all those titles. I agree with you, I don't think it's going to work.

Mangini as an example of this however is a reach. Try Holmgren.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
I didn't realize he was getting all those titles. I agree with you, I don't think it's going to work.

Mangini as an example of this however is a reach. Try Holmgren.

Holmgren was a damned good coach before he gained complete control in Seattle. Mangini was an idiot who had accomplished nothing at the highest level.

I'd go with Roy being closer to the latter than the former.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn
Holmgren was a damned good coach before he gained complete control in Seattle. Mangini was an idiot who had accomplished nothing at the highest level.

I'd go with Roy being closer to the latter than the former.

Well, Roy has accomplished a lot as a player. Holmgren was a "quarterback guru" thanks to Brett Favre. Mangini was not and is not an idiot and deserved another season, but Holmgren did just the "putting your mark" on the team that we hope JD and Jarmo aren't gonna do here. The mark Holmgren made on the Browns was all yellow, too.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR BREAKING: John Tortorella has been dismissed as head coach of the Rangers, source confirms

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 1 min
Lundqvist comments after season "changed everything," according to a source

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie 1 min
Confirming reports already out there, John Tortorella dismissed as head coach of NYR.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
@KatieStrangESPN: #NYR BREAKING: John Tortorella has been dismissed as head coach of the Rangers, source confirms

Confirming reports already out there, John Tortorella dismissed as head coach of NYR.

I wonder how much "passion" Brassard would still have if they hire Scott Arniel to replace Tortorella.

Meanwhile, Rick Nash continues to go through coaches at a prodigious pace.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit

The new coach will be Rick Nash's 10th NHL coach. Makes his consistency all the more impressive.

I wonder how much "passion" Brassard would still have if they hire Scott Arniel to replace Tortorella.

Meanwhile, Rick Nash continues to go through coaches at a prodigious pace.

To be fair to Dick Nash, how many of those were his fault? Sounds like Lundqvist is to blame for this one.

db2011

Oct 10, 2011
Brooklyn

another notch in Nash's belt

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I was just thinking the other day that the Rangers need to fire Tortorella (frequent thought) and that they need to hire Vigneault.

It didn't seem that Lundqvist's comments had anything to do with Torts, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to resign somewhere if that guy was my coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese