Around Hockey XII (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Since the beginning of the 2005-06 season:

Thomas Vanek - 254 goals, 243 assists (497 points)
Rick Nash - 252 goals, 244 assists (496 points)

Return for Thomas Vanek - 1st, 2nd, Matt Moulson
Return for Rick Nash - 1st, Tim Erixon, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov

How could we in Columbus have been cursed with such an awful GM?:sarcasm:

apples and orange situation. Vanek an impending UFA, Nash signed for a long time. But hay,:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
apples and orange situation. Vanek an impending UFA, Nash signed for a long time. But hay,:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

It is apples and oranges. In 2005-06, Nash was entering his prime years. Vanek was entering his rookie season.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
It is apples and oranges. In 2005-06, Nash was entering his prime years. Vanek was entering his rookie season.

url

It's over man. He's not coming back.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Hon? Most folks by now have acknowledged that Howson was not nearly as horrible as they assumed while he was here. At this point, reiterating it just annoys people.

FANS has been marginalized. People are casually thanking him for his work. The war is over. We won.

Yes, there are some holdouts. I suggest they be largely dismissed as the blind hating fools that they are. The point's been made. Let's not bring it up again unless they try to.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Now that its been almost a month into the season and teams are starting to show what they are truly made of (I know, its still WAY too early to do this, but I am curious). If you HAD to project the rest of the season in the Metro, what would it look like?

For me:

1. PIT
2. NYI
3. WSH
4. Us
5. NYR
6. CAR
7. PHI
8. NJ

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Now that its been almost a month into the season and teams are starting to show what they are truly made of (I know, its still WAY too early to do this, but I am curious). If you HAD to project the rest of the season in the Metro, what would it look like?

For me:

1. PIT
2. NYI
3. WSH
4. Us
5. NYR
6. CAR
7. PHI
8. NJ

Looks the same to me.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Since the beginning of the 2005-06 season:

Thomas Vanek - 254 goals, 243 assists (497 points)
Rick Nash - 252 goals, 244 assists (496 points)

Return for Thomas Vanek - 1st, 2nd, Matt Moulson
Return for Rick Nash - 1st, Tim Erixon, Brandon Dubinsky, Artem Anisimov

How could we in Columbus have been cursed with such an awful GM?:sarcasm:

You know I'm one of the only people who stands on your side with the whole Scott Howson thing ... I may not be as verbal about it, but you're preaching to the choir here.

Anyone who questions Howson should step back and look at the assets he was given when he got here, and the assets that Jarmo was given when he was hired ... with that comparison, it's a no brainer.

Tavares and Vanek has the potential to be the top combination in the NHL; right up there with Crosby and Kunitz or Stamkos and St. Louis.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
My only question about the Vanek trade is...why now? And why for this?

Look at Jason Pominville. He was moved at the deadline for a 1st, a 2nd, Johan Larsson, and Matt Hackett. Or Marian Gaborik, traded at the deadline for Brassard, Moore, and Dorsett. Both of those moves have been made since the Nash trade.

Yes, both Pominville and Gaborik were in the second-to-last year of their contract rather than the last year. But closer to the deadline, when everyone either wants to beat everyone to the punch or will do something hopelessly irrational as the market shifts, would seem to net a substantially larger return than what Vanek got.

Garth Snow has to be loving this. Sign a guy with 29 games of NHL experience, put him on a line with John Tavares, get three 30+ goal seasons out of him, then trade him as the prime piece to get Vanek.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
My only question about the Vanek trade is...why now? And why for this?

Look at Jason Pominville. He was moved at the deadline for a 1st, a 2nd, Johan Larsson, and Matt Hackett. Or Marian Gaborik, traded at the deadline for Brassard, Moore, and Dorsett. Both of those moves have been made since the Nash trade.

Yes, both Pominville and Gaborik were in the second-to-last year of their contract rather than the last year. But closer to the deadline, when everyone either wants to beat everyone to the punch or will do something hopelessly irrational as the market shifts, would seem to net a substantially larger return than what Vanek got.

Garth Snow has to be loving this. Sign a guy with 29 games of NHL experience, put him on a line with John Tavares, get three 30+ goal seasons out of him, then trade him as the prime piece to get Vanek.

I agree Snow is killing it again, though most of the folks on the main boards seem to disagree.

I'm not sure if the trade deadline is what it used to be, Iginla and Jay-Bo went for not so much last year. Vanek is better than them, but I can't imagine the return being much higher.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
And it couldn't be money, right? Isn't Buffalo's owner loaded? If it was an Ottawa type situation it could be attributed to the $$.

Perhaps a move made now to "help" the lousy season already under way?

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
And it couldn't be money, right? Isn't Buffalo's owner loaded? If it was an Ottawa type situation it could be attributed to the $$.

Perhaps a move made now to "help" the lousy season already under way?

Things could change but the Sabres are going to have one their worst seasons since before the 2005 lockout... They started the rebuilding last season.. Vanek (and soon Miller) were as good as gone late last season so trading Vanek now was simply making a move when a good deal was on the table..

Pegula is rich, the Sabres have virtually sold out their season, they are building a new Arena type district attached to FNC, they are loaded with young players and draft picks, Regier has been the GM the for over 18 years (to long) and Lindy Ruff was fired leaving a shell of a head coach behind the bench today.....

They have a lot going on right now, it doesn't look like making the playoffs was or is a priority..

Last edited:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

For me:

1. PIT
2. NYI
3. WSH
4. Us
5. NYR
6. CAR
7. PHI
8. NJ

i think jackets could be ahead of caps. caps are sort of mess now. not much cap space for moves though caps could get kuznetsov at the end of the season.

hard to say about rangers, looked better against wings. if lundqvist pulls it together, they are going to battle hard. lots of injuries too.

but around like that, yeah.

I agree, and I have no idea why the Sabres would want Moulson. I think the low value might be explained by the "Minnesota factor", but still Moulson?

value. they can flip him at deadline.

maybe they have long-term plans with him. sabres aren't very deep at wing.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

For me:

1. PIT
2. NYI
3. WSH
4. Us
5. NYR
6. CAR
7. PHI
8. NJ

Only definite I see is Pittsburgh. 2-8 are still up for grabs imo.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

The Vanek deal is kind of pointless if they don't re-sign him, as they probably won't trade him if they are in the playoff hunt.

Kind of interesting that the Islanders opened up their wallets at this time. I hope the Islanders can keep him.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Reading up on how Devils fans want to appeal the loss of a 1st round pick, I'd like to ask anyone.

Is Lou not forfeiting the 29th overall pick in 2012 the dumbest decision of the last few years? Sure looking like a possibility

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Reading up on how Devils fans want to appeal the loss of a 1st round pick, I'd like to ask anyone.

Is Lou not forfeiting the 29th overall pick in 2012 the dumbest decision of the last few years? Sure looking like a possibility

pretty much, it may be a lottery pick this year they have to pass up on...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

If not #1 , easily top 3.

See some logic in appealing the loss due to Kovy's retirement but don't think he'll get away with it.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Lindy Ruff returns to Buffalo with the Stars tonight... I bet dollars to donuts the Sabre fans cheer for him and boo that AHL Rolston guy..

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lindy Ruff returns to Buffalo with the Stars tonight... I bet dollars to donuts the Sabre fans cheer for him and boo that AHL Rolston guy..
Not watching, but at least half of this is right. Well deserved cheer for Lindy.

I think I read somewhere that the Devils intended to forfeit that pick, but they missed the deadline (like a week or so before the draft) and were stuck. Either way, major messup.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Not watching, but at least half of this is right. Well deserved cheer for Lindy.

The local word on the street that I got in Buffalo two weeks ago, they fired the wrong guy.... Regier can't be seen in public in Buffalo.... to dangerous..

The fans did cheer Ruff... protest time???? lol

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

I was surprised that he didn't forfeit the pick in 2012 as well.

My thinking was either he REALLY liked the guy at that spot or thought he could get it repealed.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.

Paul Holmgren's management of the Flyers has to be considered in this equation also ... dealing away Jeff Carter and Mike Richards (who, you know, won the Cup that year, playing together again) to make cap space for Ilya Bryzgalov (now a UFA).

Those may be 1-2 for me ... especially now that Steffan Matteau (the player the Devils picked with that 29th pick) is looking like a bit of a head case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad