Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Based purely on nostalgia and emotion....we need to spoil the FLA/PIT trade and get Horny back!!

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
Fine when he's on your team, annoying asshole when he's on another (Corey Perry without the cheap/dirty side). At this point he's slow, overpaid, and is going to be facing declining production, especially taking him out of Pittsburgh.

He does one thing well, go to the front of the net and fight for dirty goals. That leads to his one full 82 game season in his career ... but he still put up 20+ goals in seven of the past eleven seasons, one of those below 20 being COVID shortened and one being lockout shortened ... so 20+ in seven of last nine full completed seasons.

The questions are how long can he continue to play with his style and how many games will he continue to miss each season due to that style?

Reactions: bdub24

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
He does one thing well, go to the front of the net and fight for dirty goals. That leads to his one full 82 game season in his career ... but he still put up 20+ goals in seven of the past eleven seasons, one of those below 20 being COVID shortened and one being lockout shortened ... so 20+ in seven of last nine full completed seasons.

The questions are how long can he continue to play with his style and how many games will he continue to miss each season due to that style?
Don't really have enough faith in being able to integrate this type of player into our system at this point. Wayne Simmonds was supposed to do the same in scored 1 goal in 17 games. He's not going to get 1st unit power play time and I'd rather just use Bonino in this role on PP2 (or see if a guy like Trenin emerges). To be useful he'd probably need to get 2nd line duty, but does he even fit with Duchene (one of the reasons Pittsburgh is looking to offload him is he can't be an effective bottom 6 player and his lack of speed doesn't mesh with what they want to do in the top 6)? I'd probably rather pay less to bring back one of Smith/Granlund.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
It's too early, but wondering about where Hornqvist would hypothetically fit had me thinking about what our lines would look like if we made no major moves this off-season.

Probably something like:
JOFA
Trenin-Duchene-Turris (banger-playmaker-shooter?)
Rocco-Bonino-Watson (heavy forecheck, defensively sound, probably not enough offense)
X-Sissons-Jarnkrok

Tolvanen or Tomasino are both probably in play. You'd think they'd need 2nd line time, but if we don't move Turris, a line of Tolvanen/Tomasino-Duchene-Turris would have to be pretty sheltered and are liable to get bullied physically. Splitting up Forsberg and Johansen across the top 2 lines also doesn't really solve it I don't think (and I'm resigned to JOFA probably just always being a thing). It's probably optimistic to think all 3 of Trenin, Tolvanen, Tomasino would be ready to play a full productive season. Anybody else ready from the prospect pool?

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The human spine can only take so many crosschecks from 100-flex carbon fiber hockey sticks wielded by NHL defensemen. It is likely that Hornqvist has surpassed the limit.

I pine for what he was... we need a netfront player. But we need the young version, not the broken one who will be on IR for most of the next 3 years. In fact, maybe that is what Florida is counting on? Just let medical insurance pay him so they can save all those $$$.

I haven't really noticed that netfront element in Trenin's game, but anybody who wants a job on this team... step right up and park yourself in the blue paint, we need it.

Although Florida is saying very nice things about Hornqvist, I suspect them taking him just goes to show how desperate they truly were to move that Matheson contract. I think it also shows that we never got involved, never offered Turris. Because they need Turris more.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It's too early, but wondering about where Hornqvist would hypothetically fit had me thinking about what our lines would look like if we made no major moves this off-season.

Probably something like:
JOFA
Rocco-Bonino-Watson (heavy forecheck, defensively sound, probably not enough offense)
X-Sissons-Jarnkrok

Tolvanen or Tomasino are both probably in play. You'd think they'd need 2nd line time, but if we don't move Turris, a line of Tolvanen/Tomasino-Duchene-Turris would have to be pretty sheltered and are liable to get bullied physically. Splitting up Forsberg and Johansen across the top 2 lines also doesn't really solve it I don't think (and I'm resigned to JOFA probably just always being a thing). It's probably optimistic to think all 3 of Trenin, Tolvanen, Tomasino would be ready to play a full productive season. Anybody else ready from the prospect pool?
I would not put Duchene and Turris together, period. They always just seemed to step on eachother's toes to my eyes. I guess that being the case, if I had to play Turris on the wing, I'll put him in Smith's spot with Bonino, and count on Bonino somehow figuring out a way to make Turris relevant.

That's about the one thing that never got tried (to my memory anyway) with Turris last season. Because the 3rd line was our most consistent one, we never really put them into the blender with everybody else. I do not have any basis for predicting success from this combination other than... if anybody can save Turris as a winger, I'll put my money on Bonino being the one to somehow be able to figure it out.
:dunno:

Reactions: Legionnaire11

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Based purely on nostalgia and emotion....we need to spoil the FLA/PIT trade and get Horny back!!
What do you give us for him? ;)

Sorry Nashville guys; I was pumped for the Turris trade (first time I saw a reasonable value trade agreed to on any board ;))

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would say this on Hornqvist... if Florida just flat wants to save money, then you can give Hornqvist to us with some retention, and I'd take him and see just how much juice he has left in the tank.

So he makes $5.3M for the next 3 seasons? Well, that means his buyout cap hit would be $1.767M for 6 years. What we can do for you is, say, give a slightly better deal than that buyout, say you retain $1.6M, and therefore you only pay that for 3 years. Meanwhile we get Hornqvist for a $3.7M hit. But otherwise for free.

Now that is just me being a little sentimental still, though. In reality, Hornqvist does not Make Us Younger, nor does he Save Us Money, not even at $3.7M, so I don't think picking him up would fit into the team's likely thought process. But I'm a sucker and I'd do it anyway.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I would say this on Hornqvist... if Florida just flat wants to save money, then you can give Hornqvist to us with some retention, and I'd take him and see just how much juice he has left in the tank.

So he makes $5.3M for the next 3 seasons? Well, that means his buyout cap hit would be $1.767M for 6 years. What we can do for you is, say, give a slightly better deal than that buyout, say you retain $1.6M, and therefore you only pay that for 3 years. Meanwhile we get Hornqvist for a $3.7M hit. But otherwise for free.

Now that is just me being a little sentimental still, though. In reality, Hornqvist does not Make Us Younger, nor does he Save Us Money, not even at $3.7M, so I don't think picking him up would fit into the team's likely thought process. But I'm a sucker and I'd do it anyway.

Annnnnd where do you put him?

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I was kidding as a Florida fan: I think trying Hornqvist next season makes sense for us given that we might lose Dady and Hoff.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I would not put Duchene and Turris together, period. They always just seemed to step on eachother's toes to my eyes. I guess that being the case, if I had to play Turris on the wing, I'll put him in Smith's spot with Bonino, and count on Bonino somehow figuring out a way to make Turris relevant.

That's about the one thing that never got tried (to my memory anyway) with Turris last season. Because the 3rd line was our most consistent one, we never really put them into the blender with everybody else. I do not have any basis for predicting success from this combination other than... if anybody can save Turris as a winger, I'll put my money on Bonino being the one to somehow be able to figure it out.
:dunno:

Yup, Turris and Duchene do not mesh. Bonino is the most shoot first center we have on the team, so giving him a pass first Turris in the wing wouldn't be bad, especially with shoot first Grimaldi on the line. It's at least worth looking at for a few weeks if no other big roster moves are made.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee

Probably something like:
JOFA
X-Sissons-Jarnkrok

Carrier and Allard on D.

Put Tolvanen in place of Turris. I have seen Eeli throw hands at least one time. Turris or Watson can play on the 4th line. Wasn't Trenin the guy who made Chara see stars?

Tamasino goes on the third line.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It just feels like Turris doesn't really fit anywhere in our lineup right now.

Yep, and it's more about the fit now for this group rather than overall talent. That's why I would've been fine with Hornqvist in Turris' spot. Fits our needs better.

lstcyr

Jul 29, 2002
Visit site
The human spine can only take so many crosschecks from 100-flex carbon fiber hockey sticks wielded by NHL defensemen. It is likely that Hornqvist has surpassed the limit.

I pine for what he was... we need a netfront player. But we need the young version, not the broken one who will be on IR for most of the next 3 years. In fact, maybe that is what Florida is counting on? Just let medical insurance pay him so they can save all those $$$.

I haven't really noticed that netfront element in Trenin's game, but anybody who wants a job on this team... step right up and park yourself in the blue paint, we need it.

Although Florida is saying very nice things about Hornqvist, I suspect them taking him just goes to show how desperate they truly were to move that Matheson contract. I think it also shows that we never got involved, never offered Turris. Because they need Turris more.

Doesn't insurance only pay if they go on LTIR?

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Not surprising about Smith. Best of luck to him! Since coming into the league he had the 2nd most goals and third most points for us and overall was 5th in goal scoring and 6th all time in points.

Hopefully he does well wherever he goes next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad