Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Makes you think the owners have said to Poile to use only the dollars he absolutely has to and not a dime more..

With rumors that multiple teams have talked about having payrolls below the floor next season, I can't imagine that the Preds are going to be making big splashes in free agency. I think that while it's not the optimal roster, we might end up rolling a bunch of kids next season, get through the expansion draft and hope for revenues to rebound a bit again. Hopefully that's just me being overly pessimistic though.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
With rumors that multiple teams have talked about having payrolls below the floor next season, I can't imagine that the Preds are going to be making big splashes in free agency. I think that while it's not the optimal roster, we might end up rolling a bunch of kids next season, get through the expansion draft and hope for revenues to rebound a bit again. Hopefully that's just me being overly pessimistic though.

I think this is exactly what we should expect.

I'd see if we could move Turris' and a pick for Neal. Otherwise, I think the roster we have now is what we have.

Granlund and Smith go in free agency we roll Tomisino and another kid in their spots.

Roll Allard and Santini on defense and I think that will be the roster next season.

If revenues bounce back, I could see us trying to move more players and the rebuild starting in full when we can move some of the bigger contracts.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think that's overly pessimistic at all.

What I still have to wonder about though is just how low the UFAs out there will be willing to go on accepting 1-year contracts for next season. Because if it gets bad enough for them and some would take league-minimum deals just to play, then arguably that's not a significantly different payroll to sign a few of those contracts for the big team than just rolling a bunch of kids. Given the bunch of kids can presumably be assigned to the minors or loaned out, and you aren't paying them any significant money either if they're not on the big team. Or will the UFAs just sit out a year rather than take those kinds of contracts? :dunno:

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
The biggest thing this team and Poile need to figure out, quickly, is if Ingram can be a better goalie than Saros. That, more than anything, will determine whether this team has another good run in them with this core. Saros is never gonna carry this team like Rinne used to. And if Saros is the best we have for goaltending, it wont matter diddly squat what Poile does with the forwards in the offseason, we will be a middling team at best

Depressing to think that our best shot at making another run involves Rinne magically getting back to prime form(and give that he will have had almost a year of rest by the time next season starts maybe that's possible) as well as Hynes getting his head out of his ass and realizing that Saros isnt the answer

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
The biggest thing this team and Poile need to figure out, quickly, is if Ingram can be a better goalie than Saros. That, more than anything, will determine whether this team has another good run in them with this core. Saros is never gonna carry this team like Rinne used to.
They are not going to figure this one out any time in the next, oh, 3 years at least. Or if you really say they NEED to figure it out right now for some reason, then you just have to put the answer down today as "no". Ingram has never played an NHL game, there can be no way for the team's fortunes to have any reliance whatsoever on whether he amounts to anything or not. If you think Saros isn't going to be the guy, and you plan to contend with the current core, then you need to chase somebody else via trade or free agency.

Me, I don't think Saros (or another goalie) carrying the team is really what I'd be looking for anyway. He can be Binnington or Khudobin, and that could be enough... if the rest of the team was good enough, or got on enough of a roll. Having a goalie carry the team shouldn't be the objective, I'd say.

Reactions: Scoresberg

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
It feels like there have been zero actual rumors connecting us to any potential FA, trade target, or draft choice in the past month or so.
That’s the problem I’ve always had with Nashville. We don’t have that many sources or word getting out what poile is actually looking to do. Like most markets you alway have some sort of scoop. Not here. We don’t know what the heck is going on besides we’re looking to change and possibly giving younger guys a chance via poiles interview. It makes me envious of other markets that seem to always have some sort of scoop

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
My point was, we need to figure out if we are going to protect Saros or Ingram for the expansion draft
Well that answer is pretty obviously "Saros". Ingram might not even play this year. Seattle is going to have lots of goalies to choose from, I'm at the point of not worrying one bit about Ingram being taken by Seattle.

Even though I also flagged the concern some months ago! :) But even then, it was more of a "well, it would be sad if they took Ingram" than "who should we protect between Saros and Ingram". If I'm Seattle, I probably take Trenin based on our current roster.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Cutting back salaries and icing a younger, hungrier but less-talented group next year might even do good for this team. We're seeing again in the playoffs that defense is still king and we've invested so much in offense the last few years it might be time to cut back just a bit and start focusing more on defense.

While I'd like to see Poile add a 2nd line winger, defensive depth and sign Trenin, I understand the current financial situation and I think it could be breath of fresh air in the room to cut off the crust from this shit sandwich and go with the young guys. Don't expect success with that roster, though. It'll be a bubble-team at best.

Me, I don't think Saros (or another goalie) carrying the team is really what I'd be looking for anyway. He can be Binnington or Khudobin, and that could be enough... if the rest of the team was good enough, or got on enough of a roll. Having a goalie carry the team shouldn't be the objective, I'd say.

Completely agree. You need elite goaltending in the playoffs when it matters, you don't need an elite goaltender. There's a reason why teams with Price, Lundqvist, Bobrovsky on them haven't won any Cups.

I'm fairly confident in our goalie situation but if it doesn't pan out getting a guy like Khudobin, Murray etc. shouldn't be too big of a problem. Using the money elsewhere instead of goalies ultimately seems to be the best way to go. It's the team in front that matters and the support it gives to goalies.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
That’s the problem I’ve always had with Nashville. We don’t have that many sources or word getting out what poile is actually looking to do. Like most markets you alway have some sort of scoop. Not here. We don’t know what the heck is going on besides we’re looking to change and possibly giving younger guys a chance via poiles interview. It makes me envious of other markets that seem to always have some sort of scoop

It's funny. I feel like that's true, but I also feel like all of our deals have been predicted weeks before they happen.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I also disagree with the assertion that Saros can't be a goalie to carry the team. It's worth remembering he's only 25 now which is the age Rinne first got into the NHL. He desperately needs to figure out how to overcome his slow starts to the season, but that shouldn't have an effect on any future postseasons like it did this year. Once he gets in a groove during the season he's shown he can be elite for stretches. The key now is to expand that to an entire season.

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
Cutting back salaries and icing a younger, hungrier but less-talented group next year might even do good for this team. We're seeing again in the playoffs that defense is still king and we've invested so much in offense the last few years it might be time to cut back just a bit and start focusing more on defense.

While I'd like to see Poile add a 2nd line winger, defensive depth and sign Trenin, I understand the current financial situation and I think it could be breath of fresh air in the room to cut off the crust from this shit sandwich and go with the young guys. Don't expect success with that roster, though. It'll be a bubble-team at best.

Completely agree. You need elite goaltending in the playoffs when it matters, you don't need an elite goaltender. There's a reason why teams with Price, Lundqvist, Bobrovsky on them haven't won any Cups.

I'm fairly confident in our goalie situation but if it doesn't pan out getting a guy like Khudobin, Murray etc. shouldn't be too big of a problem. Using the money elsewhere instead of goalies ultimately seems to be the best way to go. It's the team in front that matters and the support it gives to goalies.
My only problem with this is that you’re still icing the under preforming core that we have. Only change is hoping these young guys come in and play well. While I agree some of our prospects should get a chance to step up but injecting them all into the lineup shouldn’t be the only change we do.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My only problem with this is that you’re still icing the under preforming core that we have. Only change is hoping these young guys come in and play well. While I agree some of our prospects should get a chance to step up but injecting them all into the lineup shouldn’t be the only change we do.
Your options are going to be pretty limited in a season where teams league wide are looking to cut payroll.

I've said it several times before but I think many teams, including us, are going to let their UFA's walk and see what the young guys have.

We may pick up a guy if he comes dirt cheap, but I think the owners will be more than happy to lessen the pain and just ride it out.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

See my last two sentences in the second paragraph.

Your options are going to be pretty limited in a season where teams league wide are looking to cut payroll.

I've said it several times before but I think many teams, including us, are going to let their UFA's walk and see what the young guys have.

We may pick up a guy if he comes dirt cheap, but I think the owners will be more than happy to lessen the pain and just ride it out.

That is why I've pushed for guys like Galchenyuk, Virtanen, Anderson, the cheaper options in the market right now. Also trading Turris for a guy with a similar salary but who fits our needs better than him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

No. It's because the Preds have a very tight lipped team lead by Kevin Wilson who makes sure that no one says anything. He runs a very tight ship to his credit.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I also disagree with the assertion that Saros can't be a goalie to carry the team. It's worth remembering he's only 25 now which is the age Rinne first got into the NHL. He desperately needs to figure out how to overcome his slow starts to the season, but that shouldn't have an effect on any future postseasons like it did this year. Once he gets in a groove during the season he's shown he can be elite for stretches. The key now is to expand that to an entire season.
That's why I think we basically have 3 more seasons with Saros. Next season was going to be the season he was finally given the ball to run with. Except now who knows if or when or how greatly disrupted that season is going to be. But either way, when it finishes he's still an RFA and still has a very reasonable QO number. So he is probably looking at another bridge contract. And presumably that'll be the 2021-22 season then where he really has to show what he's made of without Rinne looking over his shoulder. So then 2022-23... if he hasn't seized the job we will hope that's when Ingram is battling for it. And then 2023-24 is when we might want to get a new goalie if nothing has panned out with either of them by then. Of course, one could be bold and try something sooner, but I don't really see that happening. Or the need for making it happen.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
Sorry I just don't see Saros as the heir apparent to Rinne. Maybe as a decent back up but not a full-time 50+ game a year starter.
Pekka Rinne - 6'5" 220lbs 37yo
Juuse Saros - 5'11" 180lbs 25yo
Connor Ingram - 6'2" 200lbs 23yo
Troy Grosenick - 6'1" 185lbs 31yo

Both Ingram and Grosenick played amazing this year in Milwaukee! I would look to bring Ingram up and give him some games this coming season to see how he does. I can see him as a replacement to Rinne if he progresses.

nashpreds

Sep 13, 2008
Toronto
Sorry I just don't see Saros as the heir apparent to Rinne. Maybe as a decent back up but not a full-time 50+ game a year starter.
Pekka Rinne - 6'5" 220lbs 37yo
Juuse Saros - 5'11" 180lbs 25yo
Connor Ingram - 6'2" 200lbs 23yo
Troy Grosenick - 6'1" 185lbs 31yo

Both Ingram and Grosenick played amazing this year in Milwaukee! I would look to bring Ingram up and give him some games this coming season to see how he does. I can see him as a replacement to Rinne if he progresses.

I think that 5'11 is a couple of inches generous for Saros. When you compare him to guys like Lundqvist, Bernier, DeSmith, Quick etc, theres no way he's only an inch or two shorter than those guys. It's a real shame because hes so sound positionally and has great movement, but he'll never be able to cover the top half of the net well enough against the top level shooters in today's game. He's simply too small in the butterfly. When you compare him to Lindback for example, who had below average movement and technique for an NHL goalie, he was able to get by on size alone because of the extra 3-4 inches he covers with his shoulders when he's in the butterfly. It also allows a goalie like him to go down in the butterfly more often and seal off the bottom of the net more consistently. Saros is a really good young goalie, but he'll forever be limited by his size against any elite level sniper.

Ingram's looked really good from what I've seen of him. He has really good rebound control and is pretty athletic in the net. I'd give him a strong look if I were Poile over the next year or two.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
I think that 5'11 is a couple of inches generous for Saros. When you compare him to guys like Lundqvist, Bernier, DeSmith, Quick etc, theres no way he's only an inch or two shorter than those guys. It's a real shame because hes so sound positionally and has great movement, but he'll never be able to cover the top half of the net well enough against the top level shooters in today's game. He's simply too small in the butterfly. When you compare him to Lindback for example, who had below average movement and technique for an NHL goalie, he was able to get by on size alone because of the extra 3-4 inches he covers with his shoulders when he's in the butterfly. It also allows a goalie like him to go down in the butterfly more often and seal off the bottom of the net more consistently. Saros is a really good young goalie, but he'll forever be limited by his size against any elite level sniper.

Ingram's looked really good from what I've seen of him. He has really good rebound control and is pretty athletic in the net. I'd give him a strong look if I were Poile over the next year or two.

It’s actually funny, I read somewhere that Saros allows fewer goals up top than league average but more goals down low.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I know he had a poor showing in the playoffs but from January to March this year Saros was arguably the best goalie in the league. He's also been top ten statswise in the league since he first became the backup in 16-17. Obviously he's had the benefits that come with being a backup to help his stats but that is still pretty damn good. Maybe he never makes the jump to an above average starter but I don't know why so many people seem to be so quick to give up on him.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I don't think our team was going to go anywhere in the playoffs whether Saros stood on his head or didn't. The fact that he came up mediocre wasn't really material to me. The whole team outside of 1 line was flat against a very weak opponent. So 4 tepid games for him after a 4-month layoff isn't enough to change my overall impression of him in any way.

And my overall impression is: he still needs a full 50-game season to prove himself. The way he played January to March would be totally fine. If he could do that over a full season, bang, we're done, we've got our #1 goalie. That he hasn't done it yet... welp, he's 25 and he has never had the opportunity to do it yet. Let's see what he does with the opportunity first.

Reactions: Armourboy

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
With 2020's financial situation, any player who's got less cash vs cap might be a phenomenal asset. That's Bonino. Cash 2.7 mil vs cap 4.1

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Saros is a starter in this league and potentially a very good one but he's likely to have to have a shorter career as a starter because of his height. When his great movement drops to just good or below that, he's not going to have the size to make up for it. So instead of being a starter to say age 35 he might only be able to get to 32 or 33 before the reflexes start to fade just a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->