Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Having Duchene/Turris/Johansen as centers is tricky. Does Joey like playing center because maybe switching him to wing would potentially jumpstart his offense abit with having less responsibilities? I know Duchene and Turris prefer center. The only issue is breaking up the JOFA line to do so.
I don't think any of our C like playing the wing. But to my eye, Duchene's game is the one that is perhaps "least-dependent" on playing C. He seems to me to like carrying the puck in, but usually not up the middle anyway. And maybe I've missed it, but I don't see anything particularly special he does defensively either.

I'd be ok making Duchene pout for a season to try to solve the Turris conundrum.

But that said, they still cannot play together. That has been a total bust. So it's either break up JoFA again (which I wouldn't try at first either - they were too good in the play-ins for it to be any kind of default plan to break them up again). Or make Duchene pout a little bit more by maybe dropping him to the 3rd line wing spot with Bonino.

I don't think there's any ideal solution out there. But I hope that they don't spend a whole season again mixing and matching and then revisiting things that were already shown to not work. :confused:

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Marc Staal just got moved for a second to Detroit.

Again, something like Zaitsev for Turris makes sense because you are trading bad contracts at different positions but they are useable NHL players.

The Neal deal I would argue is meant to help Joey more than anyone, but I'm also a huge Neal fan and bias.

or Staal for Turris. Replacement for Tinordi and saves NASH 250K. DET would ask for a pick. I would counter it's for a position they need and Turris has higher upside. Conditional pick.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
or Staal for Turris. Replacement for Tinordi and saves NASH 250K. DET would ask for a pick. I would counter it's for a position they need and Turris has higher upside. Conditional pick.
Part of the appeal for Detroit here is Staal only has 1 year left. They have no real need for Turris as they aren't competing so would probably need more incentive to take on the additional salary for 4 more years.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Part of the appeal for Detroit here is Staal only has 1 year left. They have no real need for Turris as they aren't competing so would probably need more incentive to take on the additional salary for 4 more years.

Tell that to the bunch of posts here from DRW fans who wanted to trade for Turris over the last 6 mos

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN

Right which is why you would have to find a d man with term.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The DRW proposals I can recall for Turris were either looking to dump back their own bad contracts (e.g. Franz Nielsen) or extort ridiculous value from us (thought at least the most recent one was inebriated).

We shall see, but telling is the Preds have not bought him out at the start of the buyout period.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Right which is why you would have to find a d man with term.
You mean a Matheson type? Probably. The connundrum with Turris is he probably isn't really a bad contract but he has been a poor fit with the way the roster is constructed and with his usage. It would be a real kick in the nuts to not just trade him and see him revert to 45-50 point form but also take an actual shit player on a bad contract back so that we could get rid of him.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
You mean a Matheson type? Probably. The connundrum with Turris is he probably isn't really a bad contract but he has been a poor fit with the way the roster is constructed and with his usage. It would be a real kick in the nuts to not just trade him and see him revert to 45-50 point form but also take an actual shit player on a bad contract back so that we could get rid of him.

That's why a guy like Zaitsev makes sense. He isn't a shit player, he's probably a well rounded middle or bottom pair guy. He also has some size which we need on the back end.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Teams trade low 20 #1's occasionally for dumps, but the idea anyone would use the #11 for a dump is pretty silly.

Besides I don't consider Turris a dump. He's still a solid player he just needs a spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Purely, as a cap dump I can see why teams are asking for our 1st. After all, it is $6m per year for the next 4 years. Trading the 1st just doesn't make sense for us at all.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Purely, as a cap dump I can see why teams are asking for our 1st. After all, it is $6m per year for the next 4 years. Trading the 1st just doesn't make sense for us at all.
He's not really a cap dump though. We all know he can still play so paying a team to take what is still a good player is silly.

It would be different if he was a player like Watson signed for 6 million.

GoldOnGold

Mar 27, 2016
Nashville, Tennessee
I'm guessing the Staal trade made teams with lots of cap space realize they could get some value for taking on bad contracts. However, they don't realize a couple of things.

The biggest difference between us and teams like NY is that we aren't in a cap crunch. With Granlund and Smith both confirmed to be heading to FA, we have $8.1 million in cap space and four roster spots likely to be filled by youngsters and league minimum guys. We are not under any kind of pressure to trade Turris.

And, unlike Staal, Turris is still an effective player. Giving away nearly a top-10 draft pick just to be rid of him would be awful asset management.

I don't think trading Turris would become pressing at all until the 2022-2023 season, when Forsberg, Ekholm, Grimaldi, and Jarnkrok are UFAs, and Fabbro and Saros will have new deals by then.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
It's really the perfect time to do something like this and not really be blamed if it goes poorly. Given the circumstances facing next season, nobody is going to blame any team for not spending this season. So see what some of the prospects have at the NHL level, get beyond the expansion draft without any difficult decisions, add another high draft pick to the pool without outright tanking and then if the financial landscape improves we're in a good position to ramp things up again.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Expected, but sad. I wanted Granlund to stay and shine, but he was never going to fit our team for one reason or the other.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Happy to hear they are actually not looking to bring Weber back. I was half-afraid his cheapness and PA role and all that might make him somehow fall back into his same ol' role yet again.
:phew:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad