Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Saros is a starter in this league and potentially a very good one but he's likely to have to have a shorter career as a starter because of his height. When his great movement drops to just good or below that, he's not going to have the size to make up for it. So instead of being a starter to say age 35 he might only be able to get to 32 or 33 before the reflexes start to fade just a little.
The other thing with his height... he will never get the benefit of the doubt. The minute he gets into any kind of little slump, his organization will be pointing at his height and looking for a different option. He'll have to keep fighting every inch of the way... and sooner or later all goalies have a little slump. Which you get a pass for if you're 6'5". And he'll never get a long-term contract either, I suspect. He'll always get strung along, just waiting for that shoe to drop.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Sorry I just don't see Saros as the heir apparent to Rinne. Maybe as a decent back up but not a full-time 50+ game a year starter.
Pekka Rinne - 6'5" 220lbs 37yo
Juuse Saros - 5'11" 180lbs 25yo
Connor Ingram - 6'2" 200lbs 23yo
Troy Grosenick - 6'1" 185lbs 31yo

Both Ingram and Grosenick played amazing this year in Milwaukee! I would look to bring Ingram up and give him some games this coming season to see how he does. I can see him as a replacement to Rinne if he progresses.

Saros played in 40 games this season out of 69 played by Nashville (58%).

In an 82 game season, that would be about 48 games.

Yes, Saros is smaller, but you make him sound like Karl Goehring.

Glenn Hall 5'11" 190 lbs
Tony Esposito 5'11" 185 lbs
Jose Theodore 5'11" 185 lbs
Andy Moog 5'9" 170 lbs
Patrick Roy 6'0" 165 lbs
Marty Turco 5'11" 189 lbs
Tim Thomas 5'11" 201 lbs

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I think that a lot of Saros "haters" focus a lot on his height and less on the fact that this is his first year starting more than 30 games. Yes, he's shorter, but there have been plenty of goalies his size throughout the years, he's young and should get better the more he plays. Had Rinne even cracked the NHL at his age?

He was one of the better goalies in the league from the new year on, will have have the consistency to be an elite goalie in this league? Who's to say, but I think a lot of people are overlooking his inexperience.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Unrelated to the goalie talk, but I think its absolutely been underplayed in the media how bad the financial situation is gonna be this summer and for the next year or more.

Gotta hope the Preds ownership group is willing and ready to shell out their personal cash to keep things afloat..

And I envision cap dumping and little or no UFA signings by the Preds.

Last edited:

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Unrelated to the goalie talk, but I think its absolutely been underplayed in the media how bad the financial situation is gonna be this summer and for the next year or more.

Gotta hope the Preds ownership group is willing and ready to shell out their personal cash to keep things afloat..

And I envision cap dumping and little or no UFA signings by the Preds.

Nashville did sign Sean Malone from Rochester. I only found out about from the LGA website.
He was a teammate of Colin Blackwell at Harvard. I assume that he is coming to Milwaukee.
IHDB says that he is a Center.

Press release from Nashville:
Nashville, Tenn. (July 15, 2020) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/GM David Poile announced today that the team has signed forward Sean Malone to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2020-21 season worth $750,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 at the AHL level.

Malone, 25 (4/30/95), skated in 58 games with the AHL’s Rochester Americans in 2019-20, tallying 30 points (12g-18a), tied for the second-most on the team. The 6-foot, 196-pound center also matched his AHL career high in goals with 12 – tied for the third-most on the Americans – and had a +15 rating, the best mark among Rochester forwards. It was Malone’s third professional season – he has appeared in 169 career AHL contests, all with the Americans, and has recorded 28 goals and 65 points. He has also suited up in one career NHL game, coming on April 8, 2017 with the Buffalo Sabres against the Florida Panthers.

Originally drafted by the Sabres in the sixth round (159th overall) of the 2013 NHL Draft, Malone spent four seasons at Harvard University from 2013-17, including three as teammates with current Predators forward Colin Blackwell. He compiled 99 points (42g-57a) in 115 games with Harvard, winning two ECAC championships (2014-15 and 2016-17) and earning a spot on the 2017 ECAC All-Tournament Team. Internationally, the Buffalo, N.Y., native represented the United States at the 2013 World U-18 Championship, taking home a silver medal while picking up an assist in seven games.

Reactions: GoldOnGold

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I had seen that earlier adsfan, I think I made a Sam Malone Cheers joke..

But what I talking about is I dont see us signing anyone unless it's a 3rd pair d man....

We will let Smith and Granlund go and if anyone will take Turris off our hand we will jettison him too. I suspect ownership wants Poile to cut costs as much as possible. This is going to be Tolvanen's time to show he can stick.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Nashville did sign Sean Malone from Rochester. I only found out about from the LGA website.
He was a teammate of Colin Blackwell at Harvard. I assume that he is coming to Milwaukee.
IHDB says that he is a Center.

Press release from Nashville:
Nashville, Tenn. (July 15, 2020) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/GM David Poile announced today that the team has signed forward Sean Malone to a one-year, two-way contract for the 2020-21 season worth $750,000 at the NHL level and $100,000 at the AHL level.

Malone, 25 (4/30/95), skated in 58 games with the AHL’s Rochester Americans in 2019-20, tallying 30 points (12g-18a), tied for the second-most on the team. The 6-foot, 196-pound center also matched his AHL career high in goals with 12 – tied for the third-most on the Americans – and had a +15 rating, the best mark among Rochester forwards. It was Malone’s third professional season – he has appeared in 169 career AHL contests, all with the Americans, and has recorded 28 goals and 65 points. He has also suited up in one career NHL game, coming on April 8, 2017 with the Buffalo Sabres against the Florida Panthers.

Originally drafted by the Sabres in the sixth round (159th overall) of the 2013 NHL Draft, Malone spent four seasons at Harvard University from 2013-17, including three as teammates with current Predators forward Colin Blackwell. He compiled 99 points (42g-57a) in 115 games with Harvard, winning two ECAC championships (2014-15 and 2016-17) and earning a spot on the 2017 ECAC All-Tournament Team. Internationally, the Buffalo, N.Y., native represented the United States at the 2013 World U-18 Championship, taking home a silver medal while picking up an assist in seven games.
I made a post on it the day it was announced :confused:

Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
We love our Amerks for whatever reason.

There are at least 3 that I can remember. Malone, Blackwell and Pettis.

Domenic Pettis was clubbed over the head behind the play in the first few minutes of the home opener for 2002-03 by Rocky Thompson. The ref didn't see it! Dan Hamhuis wanted to kill the much bigger Thompson. He finally caught him in period two. Pettis was out for half of the season.

The fans booed Thompson every time that he put a skate onto the ice. It was like Suter.

I checked, he played 30 games for the Admirals and 2 for Nashville.

Last edited:

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Does anyone get the feeling that there is too much money on the 4th line?
Nope, not one bit. Our bottom-6 forwards are actually very good for their salaries IMHO. What we are lacking is any semblance of a 2nd line, and any semblance of a 3rd defensive pair.

Well, and lately any semblance of a PP, any semblance of coaching and a cohesive gameplan, etc.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Less worried about the $ on the 4th line and more just hunger/complacency level. I'd like to see one of Sissons, Watson, or Jarnkrok go just to shake things up in addition to the changes that will be going on in the top 9. Keep Jarnkrok for having the most offensive upside and versatility of the 3 and at least one of the other two can go.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Less worried about the $ on the 4th line and more just hunger/complacency level. I'd like to see one of Sissons, Watson, or Jarnkrok go just to shake things up in addition to the changes that will be going on in the top 9. Keep Jarnkrok for having the most offensive upside and versatility of the 3 and at least one of the other two can go.
I definitely agree on the hunger/complacency side of things. But if I was trading one of those 3 it would be Jarnkrok. He may have the most offensive upside and versatility, but he may also therefore have the most market value. And we need the physicality of Sissons/Watson more than the versatility of Jarnkrok. Plus I suspect that in terms of psychology, it would "shake up" the more prominent members of the team more to say goodbye to Jarnkrok.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
The reality is most teams, probably all of them if we are being honest, are going to try to go younger and cheaper this year.

There will be absolute chaos in free agency and in trades as GMs try to balance the books for owners and field a competitive roster.

You look at the value of a first rounder this year and next year... I think those are at a different kind of premium than ever before.

If the ownership group is willing to weaponize any extra cash from their pockets, they could land a really good player just by the matter of being willing to spend money.

Conversely though, it means the likelihood of us moving Turris or another cap dump is slim.

If it were up to me, I'd take a look at moving Tolvanen if you don't feel confident in him ever reaching a 20-20 output because he is a cost controlled option with potential a lot of teams are looking for. Add in a Bonino or Sissons etc and you may be looking at a very good forward or d-man coming the other way.

I've been listening to a few different national hockey podcasts. Most people who know way more about things than I do are predicting complete chaos.

Reactions: PredsV82

PredsV82

Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think you will see a lot of UFAs sign 2 or 3 year deals. There just wont be the money to throw around like previous summers.

Granlund and Smith will do well to not have to take a pay cut

Reactions: Byrddog

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think you will see lots of one year deals as guys try and position themselves for the next year when things should clear up.

As far as trading someone like Tolvanen, I don't see Poile doing it until they have been given a chance to prove themselves.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois

Of those three I would look to trade Jarnkrok. Because of his offense I think Janrkrok would bring the most back. I think Sissons is the better overall player among those three and the most valuable. Watson is the agitator/pest of the bunch that can score a little bit but mostly will hit and piss the other team off.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I feel like Watson and Sissons weren't their usual selves at all this last season and both seemed to be chasing the game a lot. I wonder how much if it was that they didn't get to play with Bonino for most of the latter half of the season. Jarnkrok is a good middle sixer but I don't think he fits very well on a grind line given that he's not physical at all. I guess maybe my big takeaway is that Bonino is an insanely good defensive center and elevates his linemates a lot.

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I wonder if or how seriously we could look at any of the potential Tampa Bay cap casualties.

Now, in reality, I know I don't expect us to actually add money. So this is just fantasy thinking, really.

But they have those forwards like Killorn, Gourde, Johnson that seem to be on the chopping block. And we have basically that $5M-ish slot in our cap space and openings on the wing. So there's some degree of potential fit there.

Is a player on a comfortable contract who just won a Stanley Cup going to be a little too complacent? Is there risk in that? In the "good ole days" you WANTED to get a Cup-winner in to help lead the charge, but I wonder if that theory holds up these days. Killorn seems "solid", but hasn't produced as much in the these playoffs. Gourde has probably been the best of them, but also has a longer contract. Johnson - I would just steer clear of. We have enough tiny players already and he doesn't really stand out from the crowd as far as I can see.

I would definitely listen or make a mild inquiry on Gourde or Killorn anyway. Well, so long as I wasn't absolutely mandated to spend no additional $$$.
:dunno:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I wonder if or how seriously we could look at any of the potential Tampa Bay cap casualties.

Now, in reality, I know I don't expect us to actually add money. So this is just fantasy thinking, really.

But they have those forwards like Killorn, Gourde, Johnson that seem to be on the chopping block. And we have basically that $5M-ish slot in our cap space and openings on the wing. So there's some degree of potential fit there.

Is a player on a comfortable contract who just won a Stanley Cup going to be a little too complacent? Is there risk in that? In the "good ole days" you WANTED to get a Cup-winner in to help lead the charge, but I wonder if that theory holds up these days. Killorn seems "solid", but hasn't produced as much in the these playoffs. Gourde has probably been the best of them, but also has a longer contract. Johnson - I would just steer clear of. We have enough tiny players already and he doesn't really stand out from the crowd as far as I can see.

I would definitely listen or make a mild inquiry on Gourde or Killorn anyway. Well, so long as I wasn't absolutely mandated to spend no additional $$$.
:dunno:
There will be a number of casualties from the Bolts roster. I wanted Poile to go after Killorn after his last contract he is a solid player that plays up and down the lines is on the PP and the PK he plays in the greasy areas as well in front of the net and is great along the boards, not as fast as the speedsters but a solid player. Gourde is streaky as streaky as Smith has always been but he is an upgrade in his ability to finish yes he is slightly overpaid but he gives 100% every shift.

Most think that resigning Cirelli and Sergi are the top priorities the GM has but I do not think so it will be Sergi and Chernak. They are losing Shattenkirk and Bogosian and will have to have those two D guys back even if Foote is ready to make the jump next season. There are going to be some casualties from the RFA's IMO Cirelli, Verhaghe, Stephens, Joseph. Cirelli can be replace with Stamkos playing center on the 2nd line and they are not going to have the cap to sign Cirelli, Sergi and Cernak even is they were to move Gourde or Killer. A two year bridge will not work on these guys either because Point who was three year bridged at the first of this season is going to really cash out at the same time these RFA's need another contract as well. With that said I would like to see Poile go after Verhaghe he has been held up by so many good forwards on this team. He played over 200 games in the AHL and was a PPG guy there. He has been limited to mostly 4th line minutes and has still 9 goals there. Now it is not a guarantee he would be a 50 point guy on the 2nd line in Nashville but with Duchene at center I really think he would be a 25 goal guy he has a nice shot. He lacks defensively but hes worth a shot, Someone will give him a shot for sure and cost controlled. Joseph is a career AHL guy borderline 4th liner with little size and spends more time on his butt than skating. Stephens will not fit in Nashville a potential 3C and will struggle to be a 40 point guy anywhere he is placed. Cirelli is a defensive C that can be a 50 point 2C but again not a fit in Nashville and he will be demanding 3mil and some team will give it to him Tampa can not.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Tampa's GM should just bring contracts into the room during the champagne shower. He might be able to bridge his best RFAs a little cheaper than they are worth... Cernak, Sergachev, and Cirelli should be keepers. The other RFAs are ok as cheap filler.

But if the Gourde/Killorn/Johnson NTCs make it too hard to trade them, then who knows. They need to shed $10-12M basically, and trading two of those guys would be the easiest solution if they can find it. As long as the NTCs don't stymie them.

It will be interesting to see if there are any predatory RFA offer sheet attacks. I'm sure none of those players wants to leave TB. But they could maybe use an offer sheet to leverage a nicer contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad