Armchair GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I really don't see the Preds making any BIG splashes but I can see them jettisoning off a few pieces if they can to control cost's and to give the younger players (Pitlick, ET, Tomasino, etc...) a chance to make the team. If GMDP can grab someone on the cheap for the bottom 6 or third pair than he might do that. But if he can make a deal for one of our C's then I see him trying to get something back in return but cheaper and not a C.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
I really don't see the Preds making any BIG splashes but I can see them jettisoning off a few pieces if they can to control cost's and to give the younger players (Pitlick, ET, Tomasino, etc...) a chance to make the team. If GMDP can grab someone on the cheap for the bottom 6 or third pair than he might do that. But if he can make a deal for one of our C's then I see him trying to get something back in return but cheaper and not a C.

Cheap, short term, bottom pairing D man could equal Johnson once his buyout is complete.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
I think Donato is basically a better version of Aberg. Pretty likely he flames out of the league in the next few seasons, but he still has the potential to be a solid player if he gets in the right situation. Odds he ends up turning it around are probably about the same of a third rounder becoming anything you're just getting your answer a bit quicker. Given our current situation I wouldn't have minded trying but no huge loss missing out on him either.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
Anthanasiou apparently isn’t getting qualified by Edmonton. Could be another option as a budget friendly reclamation project. We could certainly use someone with his speed.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
The draft is for the future. As the team is built right now.

JOFA
Eeli-Duchene-Turris
Grimaldi-Bonino-Tomassino ( if he stays, 9 game tryout?)
Hook-Sissons-Watson
Pitlick-Trenin

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Tinordi-Carrier
Santini (unless boughtout, WHY THE f*** HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT HIM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Saros
Rinne

I want a RW, unless you have faith in Tomassino, and 3rd pairing Vet D...Which should be cheap.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Anthanasiou apparently isn’t getting qualified by Edmonton. Could be another option as a budget friendly reclamation project. We could certainly use someone with his speed.
Good speed but poor hockey IQ and both Red Wings/Oilers fans contend he's not a "team first" player--wants to put up numbers and isn't interested in working within the system.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
The draft is for the future. As the team is built right now.

JOFA
Eeli-Duchene-Turris
Grimaldi-Bonino-Tomassino ( if he stays, 9 game tryout?)
Hook-Sissons-Watson
Pitlick-Trenin

Josi-Ellis
Ekholm-Fabbro
Tinordi-Carrier
Santini (unless boughtout, WHY THE f*** HAVEN'T YOU BOUGHT HIM OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Saros
Rinne

I want a RW, unless you have faith in Tomassino, and 3rd pairing Vet D...Which should be cheap.
Santini played under Hynes previously and has 1 year on a relatively cheap contract. I don't see the urgency for a buyout. Maybe Hynes can figure out a way to make him work or he spends another year as the vet for the Ads.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Santini played under Hynes previously and has 1 year on a relatively cheap contract. I don't see the urgency for a buyout. Maybe Hynes can figure out a way to make him work or he spends another year as the vet for the Ads.

Depends on how much cap is needed.

BigFatCat999

Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
We're already around $8M clear. Should be plenty unless we make an unexpected run at a high-priced UFA (doubting it).

I wonder myself, but quoting Brian Burke, 'Find out where the owner get his money.' Ciggaran's income comes from health care but the company's revenue dropped in the 2nd qtr.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth

Tolvanen - Duchene - Athanasiou as a 2nd line spells trouble defensively.

I already have my doubts about Tolvanen being able to crack it on the 2nd line, I wouldn't want to add a huge liability to the other side like Athanasiou. Interesting choice as a low-cost option but he's not the type of player we need right now.

We're already around $8M clear. Should be plenty unless we make an unexpected run at a high-priced UFA (doubting it).

Every dollar of cap space matters right now. I'd much rather have a guy like Bogosian for $1,5M than Santini as a depth option on defense. Santini's buyout cost is also ridiculously low.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
I would take a look at AA for something on the order of 2x$2.5M. I don't think he's a bigger term or $$$ player than that. Everybody notices his speed... then quickly pivots to Hockey IQ. But we have openings on the wing, and heaven knows our team could stand to be faster. Even if he just comes in and after a year here Seattle can get dazzled by his speed... it's still a worthwhile pickup.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
My question is what is the goal. Are we retooling, or are we looking to rebuild? To me if you are looking to retool you don't draft a goalie that at best won't be here for several years.

Are we just piecing things together as we try and dump contracts, are we just trying to be just good enough to keep fans in the stands, or are we just trying to throw some young guys in to this core?

The goalie pick says to me that Poile doesn't believe Saros nor Ingram is the long term solution. So I'm kind of scratching my head wondering what is the goal at this point?

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
So Turris is untradable and doesnt really work on the wing or as #3C.

Bonino has only 1 year left and comes from a strong season and should have pretty decent trade value.

Agewise our D core is worse off than our O core, meaning we need to consider renewing this part of the roster aswell. Some may say de have some young players comming up here, but from My understanding there are no Josis, Webers of even Ekholms.

Where do we move from here?

Im starting to think that the best way would be to trade one of Joey/Duchene AND Bonino for prospects or picks. Im also all for trading one of our D (preferbly Ellis) for prospects/picks.

There is nothing with our current roster or system that makes me believe de can make something good out of this so why give them yet another season?

Reactions: Roman Yoshi

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
My question is what is the goal. Are we retooling, or are we looking to rebuild? To me if you are looking to retool you don't draft a goalie that at best won't be here for several years.

Are we just piecing things together as we try and dump contracts, are we just trying to be just good enough to keep fans in the stands, or are we just trying to throw some young guys in to this core?

The goalie pick says to me that Poile doesn't believe Saros nor Ingram is the long term solution. So I'm kind of scratching my head wondering what is the goal at this point?

I'm not sure if it is worth reading too much into what this means for our broader plan. It could just be that our scouts saw Askarov as a much better tier prospect than any of the skaters on the board. It is sort of like when we took Seth Jones despite not needing a defenseman at all.

Pr0fet

Jun 13, 2015
As far as asset management of young players go. We are currently discussing buying Samuel Girard out while we have recently announced that we will not give Kevin Fiala a qualifying offer. #Imnotbitter

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
DeMelo signs with the Jets. 4 years, $3,000,000 AAV. A little rich in my mind for a borderline top-4 guy.

The more I think about it, the more I believe it was a good choice to stay away from the players like Edmundson, Dillon and DeMelo. There's still guys like Bogosian, Hamonic, Kulikov, Rutta, Merrill, TvR available who are going to be a lot cheaper.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm not sure if it is worth reading too much into what this means for our broader plan. It could just be that our scouts saw Askarov as a much better tier prospect than any of the skaters on the board. It is sort of like when we took Seth Jones despite not needing a defenseman at all.
You don't draft a goalie that high without a plan of some kind. Goalies typically haven't brought much on the trade market, so it's a horrible place to stock an asset. He's literally worth more now than he ever will be.

A player like Jones was a different deal. Short of him busting his value wasn't going to drop.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
You don't draft a goalie that high without a plan of some kind. Goalies typically haven't brought much on the trade market, so it's a horrible place to stock an asset. He's literally worth more now than he ever will be.

A player like Jones was a different deal. Short of him busting his value wasn't going to drop.

Yeah but if our scouts project Askarov as an elite goaltending prospect and the other available options as more of a 2nd line type player than I don't think they are thinking too much about future trade value. If Askarov ends up being a Carey Price type than it doesn't really matter what you get for Saros in a trade down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad