Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Honestly I find myself missing Frolik of late. None of our young guys have really run away with a third line role, and we know he can do it.

I’ve seen flashes from Mangi but he needs to work on his consistency. Definitely missing fro but gotta think that one of if not both Dube and Mangi can be full timers next year

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Islanders:
Smith
Czarnik
2019 1st

Flames:
Eberle
Lehner

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Backlund-Eberle
Bennett-Jankowski-Neal
Frolik-Ryan-Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson

Rittich/Lehner

Eberle is what he is and he hasn’t been good this year, but he clicks with the Tkachuk/Backlund line, they could be a legitimate threat every time they’re on the ice. I think with a little shuffling, his addition could also mean two strong PP units. Run with a 1A/B tandem and ride the hot goaltender.

Last edited:

MDCSL

Jun 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
If the stars keep going the way they are and are clearly out of a playoff spot by the trade deadline, we should trade for Spezza as a rental. He’s having a great year and we need that 3rd line scoring punch

Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I still think if Rittich doesn’t pan out then the move is one of our 3 young LHD for a young starting goalie.

I still like Cal Petersen but there might be others too.

We just can’t seem to develop goalies and we seem to have a knack for puck moving D.

Don’t really see any other moves that are realistic. Maybe picks to get rid of Neal, realistically we are stuck with him.

Last edited:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I am of the opinion that there is a team that would be willing to take on Neal if they really needed some goal scoring. Don't think he has negative value but certainly isn't worth a top pick in a draft.

Neal was signed by us as insurance in case that no one could play on the top line with Monahan and Gaudreau, but Lindholm has obviously filled that hole. Neal has had his struggles, but I don't think it's an secret that wherever he goes the team has success. It's probably the biggest reason why I'd like to keep him. He's a good "7th forward" that can fill in the top 6 when needed.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I am of the opinion that there is a team that would be willing to take on Neal if they really needed some goal scoring. Don't think he has negative value but certainly isn't worth a top pick in a draft.

Neal was signed by us as insurance in case that no one could play on the top line with Monahan and Gaudreau, but Lindholm has obviously filled that hole. Neal has had his struggles, but I don't think it's an secret that wherever he goes the team has success. It's probably the biggest reason why I'd like to keep him. He's a good "7th forward" that can fill in the top 6 when needed.
Neal, 100% has negative value, right now. There isn’t a team in the league that would take a flyer on a 31 year old, with 6 points and 4 more years @ $5.75 million a season. We definitely didn’t pay Neal for the last 2 years of this contract, we paid him to make an impact now and for the next couple years.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Neal, 100% has negative value, right now. There isn’t a team in the league that would take a flyer on a 31 year old, with 6 points and 4 more years @ $5.75 million a season. We definitely didn’t pay Neal for the last 2 years of this contract, we paid him to make an impact now and for the next couple years.

I already said that he has not been playing up to par, but as I've mentioned before he must be doing something in that locker room that we do not know about, because our team is getting it done with him there.

Plus, I'd like to see how he plays come playoff time. Remember Brouwer? Sucked in the regular season but was surprisingly a beast when it came to games that really mattered most.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I already said that he has not been playing up to par, but as I've mentioned before he must be doing something in that locker room that we do not know about, because our team is getting it done with him there.

Plus, I'd like to see how he plays come playoff time. Remember Brouwer? Sucked in the regular season but was surprisingly a beast when it came to games that really mattered most.
I do remember Brouwer, he has one more point than Neal and we’re paying him $1.5 million for another 3 years. Essentially bought out to sign Neal, so in reality we’re paying Neal $7.25 million for the first 4 years of his deal. Right now, Neal’s play is making wish we only had one more year of Brouwer’s $4.5 million contract to look forward to.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I do remember Brouwer, he has one more point than Neal and we’re paying him $1.5 million for another 3 years. Essentially bought out to sign Neal, so in reality we’re paying Neal $7.25 million for the first 4 years of his deal. Right now, Neal’s play is making wish we only had one more year of Brouwer’s $4.5 million contract to look forward to.

Yeah BT bought out Brouwer so he can sign his twin brother

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Hmm. Berglund suspended for failing to report... He's played really well with Backlund before.

Neal for Berglund? Straight up or who adds?

Neal is on pace to outscore Berglund by 1 point in a full season. Berglund is cheaper, has a shorter term, and is significantly better defensively than Neal. Calgary is probably adding a lot...

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Neal is on pace to outscore Berglund by 1 point in a full season. Berglund is cheaper, has a shorter term, and is significantly better defensively than Neal. Calgary is probably adding a lot...

Except Neal is not a problem child

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
If Rittich plays 50+ games and has at least a Sv% of 92.30, while his GAA is below 2.20, and of course we make the playoffs top of our division, how much do we extend him? Better yet, who will be our backup? There are some decent options in UFA:

McElhinney (Surprisingly the best...)
Lehner
Ward

Do we trade for another goalie?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I said this before, but Neal for Reaves would be a win all the way around I think. I would add a 3rd or someone like Rychel if we had to. Hell even retain a million.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
With the Blues making everyone available, I could see us picking up Pat Maroon since it looked like Treliving was close to signing him this off-season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce