Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
What about goal? Smith might not be great, but I feel like that's like ripping the screen off a screen door during mosquito season.
Well if we're talking about moving Smith, I'll let the other armchair GMs sort out how to replace him.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Catch you later. :laugh:

Continue Armcharing.
giphy.gif

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Well if we're talking about moving Smith, I'll let the other armchair GMs sort out how to replace him.

Hmm.. a name I haven't seen and I am curious if he could be a good option is Phoenix Copley.

Holtby and Samsonov are the shining pieces in Washington and no one is looking at Copley. Copley's track record isn't great, but I think it's sorta like what happened last year with Rittich. I think he could be a guy worth gambling long term on. (ie: 3 years x 1.5 mil)

I'm also curious as to whether we could maybe try to influence the Wild somehow. If they falter, what if we try to influence a rebuild and send futures for Dubnyk? If they do well and seem like they aren't looking for a starer, what about a swap of goalies for Kaapo Kahkonen and send them some prospects for their bare cupboard system? Seriously, they're shoring up their AHL with guys like Hammond, Bartkowski and Ryan Murphy. We have a few guys like Klimchuk, McDonald who perhaps could use a change of scenery and have higher upside than some of the AHL journeymen they have in their system. It's not an immediate fix to goaltending, but it's an option we hope pays off. Jarry could be a similar styled target.

Reactions: Rangediddy

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Smith
3rd
Phillips/6th

Howard

If that doesn't fly because Holland wants to extend Howard, I'd consider targeting Bernier. Chatting with Detroit could work well as they could eat some cap and cap savings would also be nice to ensure no bonuses from this season flow into the next season. Bernier just started a 3x3, so his cap isn't bad at all.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I am starting to wonder if maybe Hanifin will be expendable soon. Kylington is looking incredible in the A and is a superior skater and with more offensive skill and creativity, while Valimaki had fit like a glove in the same kind of sheltered minutes Hanifin played a season ago while showing more defensive upside. I'm not saying Hanifin is expendable right now, and I actually really like the Hanifin-Hamonic pair, but Hanifin must have some serious trade value on the market after he's had a full season of top four minutes under his belt. I just can't help but see him as a stopgap given the quality pushing from behind him and the fact that Giordano ain't goin' nowhere.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
@OKG, I actually heard the Heats coach MacLean gave his radio interview this week, it was very interesting. He was speaking about Kylington and essentially was saying “he’s their everything down there”. Kylington right now is logging heavy minutes. He’s playing top pairing with AOM, he’s on the top PP, PK’ing, he’s doing everything and just thriving. He said he’s still growing, but he’s really come a long way defensively, he’s skating is such an asset, he’s great at passing the puck up the ice and he’s very good at running the blue line. It’s sounds as though he’s cut down his mistakes as well.

He’s also tied for the team lead in points with 13 in 16 games. This is very much the situation that Brodie was in back in the day but the team was pathetic back then.

No matter which way you slice it, Kylington has taken a massive step this season and he’s killing it down on the Heat this year. We should all be very excited about this.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
@OKG, I actually heard the Heats coach MacLean gave his radio interview this week, it was very interesting. He was speaking about Kylington and essentially was saying “he’s their everything down there”. Kylington right now is logging heavy minutes. He’s playing top pairing with AOM, he’s on the top PP, PK’ing, he’s doing everything and just thriving. He said he’s still growing, but he’s really come a long way defensively, he’s skating is such an asset, he’s great at passing the puck up the ice and he’s very good at running the blue line. It’s sounds as though he’s cut down his mistakes as well.

He’s also tied for the team lead in points with 13 in 16 games. This is very much the situation that Brodie was in back in the day but the team was pathetic back then.

No matter which way you slice it, Kylington has taken a massive step this season and he’s killing it down on the Heat this year. We should all be very excited about this.

Do you have a link to the interview? Though I disagree about Kylington taking a massive step, he's just playing more minutes because Wotherspoon and Andersson are gone. He was just as good as Rasmus last year but played less due to dictated role.

Also Hanifin may be the NHL but it's not like he doesn't make bad reads that end up in the back of the net himself - both are still a work in progress. Hanifin's draft position got his foot in the door unlike Kylington, but the upside for the two players is arguably in Kylington's favour. I really hope the longer leash afforded to Hanifin by playing in a small market non-playoff team for a good NHL coach doesn't end up in us undervaluing Kylington, who could well be a Werenski type stud.

It's funny though, there was a time when these two were considered 1A and 1B in the 2015 draft for Dmen:

Noah Hanifin v. Oliver Kylington

and we have both, plus Valimaki.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Do you have a link to the interview? Though I disagree about Kylington taking a massive step, he's just playing more minutes because Wotherspoon and Andersson are gone. He was just as good as Rasmus last year but played less due to dictated role.

Also Hanifin may be the NHL but it's not like he doesn't make bad reads that end up in the back of the net himself - both are still a work in progress. Hanifin's draft position got his foot in the door unlike Kylington, but the upside for the two players is arguably in Kylington's favour. I really hope the longer leash afforded to Hanifin by playing in a small market non-playoff team for a good NHL coach doesn't end up in us undervaluing Kylington, who could well be a Werenski type stud.

It's funny though, there was a time when these two were considered 1A and 1B in the 2015 draft for Dmen:

Noah Hanifin v. Oliver Kylington

and we have both, plus Valimaki.

I’ll try to look more later, it was Flames at 5 by Pinder. I think the interview was just on this past Thursday.

And I do agree he’s getting more of an opportunity, but it does sound as though hes flourishing so I think it’s fair to say it’s really good for his development. All exciting nonetheless.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Can he play the right? Because I think Brodie would be expendable before Hanifin. Rasmus moves up with Gio, Valimaki - Kylington.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Can he play the right? Because I think Brodie would be expendable before Hanifin. Rasmus moves up with Gio, Valimaki - Kylington.

I think looking forward, we need to make room Tkachuk, obviously. Then we need to deal with our goalie situation, guys like Bennett and Janks will need modest raises, but Andersson and Valimaki will also demand more money.

I think it’s inevitable that all of Neal, Frolik, Ryan, Stone and probably Brodie will need to go.

I said this before, but I really don’t see why we signed Ryan to any kind of deal over 2 million. He’s not worth it, he’s worth 1.5 per at best. We just got rid of Stajan and we re-signed the new Stajan. Had we not done that, Janks, Czarnik and Dube could all be in the lineup.

Gumbyman2

Sep 12, 2018
I think looking forward, we need to make room Tkachuk, obviously. Then we need to deal with our goalie situation, guys like Bennett and Janks will need modest raises, but Andersson and Valimaki will also demand more money.

I think it’s inevitable that all of Neal, Frolik, Ryan, Stone and probably Brodie will need to go.

I said this before, but I really don’t see why we signed Ryan to any kind of deal over 2 million. He’s not worth it, he’s worth 1.5 per at best. We just got rid of Stajan and we re-signed the new Stajan. Had we not done that, Janks, Czarnik and Dube could all be in the lineup.
Good points. Don't see a positive fit for Ryan so far, at his AVV salary we could have gone after a goalie a little easier. Who knew Mike Smith would implode this steadily 1/4 way into the season? I actually think Czarnik should get a spot ahead of Ryan, just M.O.?...but what do I know, I normally root for the Jets. And yes, Brodie should be moved sooner than later, for value (+)reasons and cap space. He could help get us a potential goalie and high draft pick maybe?

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary

Or we didn't have to sign Neal to that albatross of a contract (which will likely require significant assets to move in a year or two). Ryan is hardly the problem rn.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Doesn't matter who replaces him. Play the entire game with six skaters.

Or we didn't have to sign Neal to that albatross of a contract (which will likely require significant assets to move in a year or two). Ryan is hardly the problem rn.

I agree. Even when he was signed my optimism was really cautious because of age and the pretty beefy contract he got. It doesn't look good if he falls off immediately, rather than 3-4 years down the road like expected.

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

The thing is though, Neal will always have that shot, like Iginla. That usually doesn’t fade and he’s still a decent skater. Ryan bugs me a lot more because to this point he’s been pretty irrelevant. Neal has as well, but I have way more confidence that Neal will get going whereas I don’t feel that way about Ryan.

Reactions: Janks

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
It's normal for teams to "overpay" a 4C. It's a wierd, thanklessly role that's arguably more important than a l 3LW or 3RW. Look at guys like Matt Cullen, Markus Kruger, Jarrett Stoll, Dominic Moore, Jay Beagle. Not a sexier role like a Conor Sheary, Teuvo Teravainen, Tanner Pearson, Carl Hagelin, or Tom Wilson, but I think similarily important.

A lot of what that role entails is to take a D-zone faceoff, weather the inevitable storm for a few seconds, and then dump the puck and change, which Ryan has done pretty well. It means killing penalties, which Ryan has done pretty well. It might mean driving the rush so that a big hulking grinder can justify their ice time. Back when Stajan was decent it was the Ferland-Stajan-Jones line that really ground the Canucks down, and while the wingers got a lot of press for all the hitting they were doing it was Stajan doing a lot of the "clean work" to make those two effective.

It is a bit weird that our 4C is a bit small and visibly loses puck battles, but the numbers do suggest he is driving play so it's one of those "you gotta watch for the right things" situations and too many of us are probably guilty of watching for the wrong things. I've been pretty guilty of not paying enough attention to Ryan either.

Reactions: MDCSL

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The thing is though, Neal will always have that shot, like Iginla. That usually doesn’t fade and he’s still a decent skater. Ryan bugs me a lot more because to this point he’s been pretty irrelevant. Neal has as well, but I have way more confidence that Neal will get going whereas I don’t feel that way about Ryan.

I don't see it. His shot looks like a muffin right now, which is concerning considering that is the only thing he has. Considering he has no fit on our top 6, I expect sooner or later he'll be like Brouwer again (who also has 3 goals and 1 assist right now btw).

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't see it. His shot looks like a muffin right now, which is concerning considering that is the only thing he has. Considering he has no fit on our top 6, I expect sooner or later he'll be like Brouwer again (who also has 3 goals and 1 assist right now btw).

He didn’t lose his shot since last years playoffs. I watched the Knights and he had some really impressive snipes. He’ll snap out of this.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks that this team needs another offensive game changer (besides a starting goalie)?

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Am I the only one that thinks that this team needs another offensive game changer (besides a starting goalie)?

Give it a couple weeks. Now that Peters has started to see what he has in this kid, Sam Bennett is about to POP, and it looks like Frolik-Ryan-Neal might be the third line balance needed to get Neal going, too. Took Bill Peters 18 games to do what Glen Gulutzan managed to not do for two whole seasons - put Tkachuk and Bennett together and watch them humiliate undisciplined teams.

And of course, having a goalie helps a team get empty net goals, which teams that win in regulation tend to score more than teams that don't win in regulation.

I wouldn't mind adding a RHS sniper to play that Brayden Point/Steven Stamkos/Nikita Kucherov role on the PP (okay, seriously, FU Tampa. Stop hogging all the snipers) but we might just have that in Phillips or Zavgorodniy as both can serously find the back of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad