Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Any idea what they'd want? I hate going to other forums.

I was looking at the main forum, it appears Wild fans want not only the stars, but the moon and the sun as well.
There's discussion with Habs fans where it's like, 'Let's start at Suzuki'.

Once someone mentions the starting point being a top prospect, I'm like, 'uhhh.'

In reality? Cost controlled for another year at a good cap hit. 26 years old (27 at year end), Career high 56 points on the Wild (important production factor). We can use the McDonaugh trade as framework, because he had a year left on his deal too.

Coyle is the lesser player, for sure, but the return for McDonaugh was: A first, a conditional 2nd, 2 B level prospects.
I assume you'd take out the conditional 2nd and one of the B level prospects, maybe replace with a B- or C+ type prospect.

Something like:
Calgary's 2019 1st round pick, Matthew Philips & D'Artagnan Joly

The first is the value, Philips is a longshot; but has a chance. Joly seems to have stalled in junior, but could maybe carve out a professional career somewhere.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I was looking at the main forum, it appears Wild fans want not only the stars, but the moon and the sun as well.
There's discussion with Habs fans where it's like, 'Let's start at Suzuki'.

Once someone mentions the starting point being a top prospect, I'm like, 'uhhh.'

In reality? Cost controlled for another year at a good cap hit. 26 years old (27 at year end), Career high 56 points on the Wild (important production factor). We can use the McDonaugh trade as framework, because he had a year left on his deal too.

Coyle is the lesser player, for sure, but the return for McDonaugh was: A first, a conditional 2nd, 2 B level prospects.
I assume you'd take out the conditional 2nd and one of the B level prospects, maybe replace with a B- or C+ type prospect.

Something like:
Calgary's 2019 1st round pick, Matthew Philips & D'Artagnan Joly

The first is the value, Philips is a longshot; but has a chance. Joly seems to have stalled in junior, but could maybe carve out a professional career somewhere.

unless they can eat some salary coming back, it won't work

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Ya, the Rangers were also going the heavy retool/rebuild route, which plays a big factor in the type of return. I don’t think the Wild are looking for that. I think a deal for Coyle starts with Bennett and probably includes Philips + 2nd/3rd or just Bennett + late 1st. It’d have to be a hockey trade, as opposed to a rebuild trade.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Ya, the Rangers were also going the heavy retool/rebuild route, which plays a big factor in the type of return. I don’t think the Wild are looking for that. I think a deal for Coyle starts with Bennett and probably includes Philips + 2nd/3rd or just Bennett + late 1st. It’d have to be a hockey trade, as opposed to a rebuild trade.

Plus Howden is a much better prospect than most people seem to think. Tampa fans had him at the top of their pool, and his production in the NHL this year isn't anything to scoff at.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Plus Howden is a much better prospect than most people seem to think. Tampa fans had him at the top of their pool, and his production in the NHL this year isn't anything to scoff at.
Exactly, and it’s a similar situation to Hamonic, where as the contract itself holds a lot of value. $3.2 million for a young 40-50 point player is getting harder and harder to find these days.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Exactly, and it’s a similar situation to Hamonic, where as the contract itself holds a lot of value. $3.2 million for a young 40-50 point player is getting harder and harder to find these days.

I love Bennett, not sure how I'd feel about this.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'd hold on to Bennett+ because he's going to be better than Coyle.
What exactly makes you think that, because he was selected 4th overall? He’s currently on pace for 24 points, his worst season yet, despite having much better linemates and some powerplay time. He’s got terrible hands and still often looks lost out there. Rarely in the right spot, at the right time. I’d swear “The Waterboy” and Matthew Lombardi had a son ....... named him Sam.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
What exactly makes you think that, because he was selected 4th overall? He’s currently on pace for 24 points, his worst season yet, despite having much better linemates and some powerplay time. He’s got terrible hands and still often looks lost out there. Rarely in the right spot, at the right time. I’d swear “The Waterboy” and Matthew Lombardi had a son ....... named him Sam.
Agenda showing through. Great analysis.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I've given up on Bennett long ago...

He shows signs that he could break out and then never realizes them, if he continues at his pace he's going to have his 3rd straight 26 point or lower season. That's low end 3rd liner scoring and he has spent like 10 games on the 2nd line.

He's an energy player until his hands are no longer cement

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Agenda showing through. Great analysis.
What should the analysis read? Works hard, plays physical, goes to the net but can bury chances? That’s the same analysis as any 4th line plug in the NHL. Every line has produced better without him.

I wanted the kid to be good soooo bad, but he just doesn’t have it. The only agenda is to win a Stanley Cup and avoid overpaying based on former draft position.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
While Sparky is over the top perhaps, he's not entirely wrong either.

I also am not sure why you point at the 4 goal game Janks as 100% proof. First goal of that game was a good one, but nothing fancy on his part. Hudler set him up for an easy one timer in a highdanger spot. Second one Backlund draws all the defenders, he gets completely free in the slot and loses the puck and it happens to go in. Third one was a garbage goal, albeit roofed really well. Fourth one was the prettiest of the bunch, and some really nice skill I will absolutely give, but in almost all those plays the Panthers defense was dog shit.

I just don't like using 1 game out of his career to override a lot of the problems in his other 272 games (not that the problems were true in all of those either). As I've pointed out before, by that logic Sam Gagner is a clear first liner because he scored 8 points in a game once.

Neal at least you can point to shooting percentage and hope that stabilizes a bit. 4% right now with a career average of 12%.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

No no, its because (INSERT MOST RECENT CONVENIENT EXCUSE HERE).

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
No no, its because (INSERT MOST RECENT CONVENIENT EXCUSE HERE).

tenor.gif

HE HAS UNLIMITED PO-tential

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I'd hold on to Bennett+ because he's going to be better than Coyle.

Maybe... if by better you mean does absolutely nothing on odd man rushes or takes more stupid penalties

The thing that really bothers me about Bennett, is that when he plays a simple dump and chase game he’s quite effective. However, he just tries to dangle guys and ends up turning it over all the time, and when he does get through he doesn’t score...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
The thing that really bothers me about Bennett, is that when he plays a simple dump and chase game he’s quite effective. However, he just tries to dangle guys and ends up turning it over all the time, and when he does get through he doesn’t score...
Yeah, when he was effective earlier this season he was making the simple pass, not overcomplicating things. He kept the play moving.

Now he's not getting shots on net, trying too many toe-drags. On the RW he stops skating and kinda parks himself in front of the net waiting for a rebound, which contributes to the play breaking down in the O-zone. It's frustrating to watch because he's better than that

That being said, Tkachuk's play at even strength has been vastly overrated all season. When the top line goes pointless, we get a glimpse into what this team would be like without Gaudreau and it's not pretty. Backlund's wrist had also completely neutered his offensive contribtuions all season long. Outside of that Boston and Colorado home game, can you really say that second line's won us any games?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Off topic but I was wondering if we would try Tkachuk at center. Now before you crucify me I’m not even personally sold on this idea but for the basis of discussion here’s my reasoning

Why it might work:
-He’s a really cerebral player, thinks the game at a high level, great positioning, great down low and great at winning his 1v1 battles

Why it probably wouldn’t:
-Maybe too slow? Never played center at a high level

I just look at a guy like Domi who the Habs threw down the middle and was able to find success and can’t help but wonder. With a healthy Backlund our center depth would be unreal. Run something like

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Mangiapane-Tkachuk-Neal
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Czarnik-Janko-Ryan

Completely hypothetical and unnecessary but there is no game today so :popcorn:

Reactions: Connor McDaigle
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden