Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
What folks here are neglecting to consider, and the reason why I am not concerned about the Tkachuk contract, is that players are not actually paid for how much they score or the quality of their play, they are paid for their value to the team.

Matthews is making upwards of 10 million because he is the Leafs' long-term #1C, until he retires or is a shadow of the player he used to be. Draisaitl is being paid 8.5mil partially because Chiarelli was a poor GM, but also largely because the Oilers see him as the long-term sidekick to McDavid, whether at RW or C. Tkachuk's impact on the franchise is nowhere near either of those two players' impact on their respective franchises.

Look at the Flames for another example. Gio and Gaudreau have the biggest contracts because they are the two most important players to the Calgary Flames. Monahan gets a contract that is just slightly less heavy than Gaudreau's because as the team's #1C, he is the second-most important forward on the team. Likewise, Brodie's contract reflects his value relative to Giordano and Backlund's contract reflects his value relative to Gaudreau and Monahan.

Which of course leaves us with the question - what is Tkachuk's value to the Flames? He is a forward scoring at over a PPG pace and provides an excellent, well-rounded game - but he is a second-line player for us, barring a trade. At the end of the day, I put his value somewhere between Monahan and Backlund's. Given increases in the cap limit and a certain amount of contract inflation from the McDavid contract, I think Tkachuk signs for pretty close or just over Monahan's cap hit.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I thought the Iginla cap became the Gio cap at 6,75.

It’s a little known fact that Iggy’s cap was actually Lanny’s, prorated from ‘89!?!?

I’d say that the Gio cap, became the Johnny cap, pretty much as soon as he signed it.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It’s a little known fact that Iggy’s cap was actually Lanny’s, prorated from ‘89!?!?

I’d say that the Gio cap, became the Johnny cap, pretty much as soon as he signed it.
I'm not sure there really is a ______ cap, but the Fkanes try and deter guys from the taking more money than the best player(s) on the team.

Like when Brodie signed his deal, he said yes tool lower in year one so he didn't make more than Gio

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I'm not sure there really is a ______ cap, but the Fkanes try and deter guys from the taking more money than the best player(s) on the team.

Like when Brodie signed his deal, he said yes tool lower in year one so he didn't make more than Gio
Oh 100%, I think most teams do the same thing....for players on the team. For example the Canucks aren’t telling Perrersson he has to sign for $6.9 because the Sedin’s only made $7. It would have no impact what so ever.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Oh 100%, I think most teams do the same thing....for players on the team. For example the Canucks aren’t telling Perrersson he has to sign for $6.9 because the Sedin’s only made $7. It would have no impact what so ever.
For sure. I think the Canucks will use Horvat's contract to try and keep Boeser a little lower and then use Boeser the same way to keep Pettersson down.

The good thing about the Flames, is we've kind of established a culture where players are taking fair, yet team friendly deals rather than trying to bleed every penny out of the franchise. In part that is because the Flames treat their players extremely well and in part because I think Treliving has been able to show guys that this will be the way to win a cup.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
For sure. I think the Canucks will use Horvat's contract to try and keep Boeser a little lower and then use Boeser the same way to keep Pettersson down.

The good thing about the Flames, is we've kind of established a culture where players are taking fair, yet team friendly deals rather than trying to bleed every penny out of the franchise. In part that is because the Flames treat their players extremely well and in part because I think Treliving has been able to show guys that this will be the way to win a cup.
That’s true but we’ve also only had to extend one guy, that isn’t coming off an ELC. Brad’s done an amazing job, but in all fairness he has held the high ground in every deal outside of Gio’s.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Winnipeg gets Stone then I don't see Treliving not getting Duchene or Panarin. Helps us get through San Jose and face Winnipeg 1 on 1 in the West final.

Stone is a complete rental for Winnipeg, they can barely keep their own players after this year as it is. The Flames at least have a tiny shot at re-signing who ever we could get.

Fairly certain Duchene and Stone both get traded on the trade deadline day unless one or two get extended before then, too much to gamble re-signing them. Losing their 1st this year will obviously suck, but they could get at least 2 1sts if they moved Duchene and Stone and a possible 3rd 1st from Dzingle.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
If Winnipeg gets Stone then I don't see Treliving not getting Duchene or Panarin. Helps us get through San Jose and face Winnipeg 1 on 1 in the West final.

Stone is a complete rental for Winnipeg, they can barely keep their own players after this year as it is. The Flames at least have a tiny shot at re-signing who ever we could get.

Fairly certain Duchene and Stone both get traded on the trade deadline day unless one or two get extended before then, too much to gamble re-signing them. Losing their 1st this year will obviously suck, but they could get at least 2 1sts if they moved Duchene and Stone and a possible 3rd 1st from Dzingle.

Why? Winnipeg would likely be cup favourites, and we’d be giving up a huge amount of assets when we aren’t playoff proven. I feel pretty confident we are sitting pat.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Why? Winnipeg would likely be cup favourites, and we’d be giving up a huge amount of assets when we aren’t playoff proven. I feel pretty confident we are sitting pat.

Yeah Tre probably sees what he has and does something at the draft if we faulter.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
How would you guys feel about adding a 3rd goalie that would only play if Smith or Rittich go down with injury, I don't know about the rest of you but I have no confidence in going to Gillies if 1 of our guys was to get injured in the playoffs.
The guy we would be acquiring would know that they would be 3rd in line and only play in extreme circumstances.
Some guys I would consider would be:
Chad Johnson - He pretty much is the 3rd goalie in Anaheim right now, so the role wouldn't be too different
Ryan Miller - Have a hard time imagining he would waive his NTC to be a 3rd goalie but maybe a chance at a cup could entice him to do so.
Michal Neuvirth - He's coming off an injury and Philly already has a crowded crease.
Michael Hutchinson - Nothing special here.

The premise behind trading for another goaltender would be just as an insurance policy, instead of having to rely on Gillies, Parsons, Schneider or McDonald as a potential back-up in the playoffs, I'd be much more comfortable with one of these guys listed above.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
Michal Neuvirth - He's coming off an injury and Philly already has a crowded crease.
I actually wouldn't hate this. I mean, it depends on how he responds post-injury, but assuming Rittich is the starter next season, Neuvirth could be a solid backup, if he's willing to sign for about 1-1.5, and giving him some time in the organization may help him choose to come here instead.

Reactions: Migos

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
In Winnipeg he's a pure rental.
But he makes them repugnantly deep. They're already deep as hell.
So deep they'll put your ass to sleep.

Also they need to not hog all the right shot players. Getting to be as bad as Anaheim on that front.

MonyontheMoney

Apr 5, 2015
How would you guys feel about adding a 3rd goalie that would only play if Smith or Rittich go down with injury, I don't know about the rest of you but I have no confidence in going to Gillies if 1 of our guys was to get injured in the playoffs.
The guy we would be acquiring would know that they would be 3rd in line and only play in extreme circumstances.
Some guys I would consider would be:
Chad Johnson - He pretty much is the 3rd goalie in Anaheim right now, so the role wouldn't be too different
Ryan Miller - Have a hard time imagining he would waive his NTC to be a 3rd goalie but maybe a chance at a cup could entice him to do so.
Michael Hutchinson - Nothing special here.

The premise behind trading for another goaltender would be just as an insurance policy, instead of having to rely on Gillies, Parsons, Schneider or McDonald as a potential back-up in the playoffs, I'd be much more comfortable with one of these guys listed above.
Not sure I see the upside on a move like that. If we’re down to one of the guys you listed or one of our prospects starting in the playoffs, we’re probably toast regardless of who is in there

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
Not sure I see the upside on a move like that. If we’re down to one of the guys you listed or one of our prospects starting in the playoffs, we’re probably toast regardless of who is in there
Fair point, it more or less came to my head as an idea to make a move just for the sake of making a move.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
pending cost, the smartest move might be Zucc. He's an older UFA but is productive, and he's on a team that may look to move Hayes and Kreider for larger returns. It could be one of those cheaper under the radar moves that really helps us at minimal cost. IMO, his style of play would fit this team like a glove. Just wish he was 3 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier.

You also have to figure we could use another vet, and in terms of resigning, hey may be cheaper than we think based on his age. The term and cap hit would likely reflect where the league as a whole is going. It's a young man's league now, vets usually get discounted when signing time comes around and they usually are returning less term. We have our young core, he'd be an ideal complimentary piece to mentor our younger guys for a few years. If anything, he plays heavy for his size and is fearless...A lot of our roster could learn a thing or two from that.

I've also been saying we need another Sam Bennett, Zucc plays nasty that way. I know he's not the guy that we can rely on to take a swing at the heavies in the west, but I have no doubt he'll give it all he has. Solid point producer, solid 200ft player, PP/PK, and apparently great attitude and well liked in the locker room...This is the type of guy we should add if the cost is solid.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm also out on Stone based on the apparent league wide interest. I simply don't want to pony up what the cost is. We have the 2nd best record in the league and our core is still very young and developing. Even if we don't go deep this year, our cap and our core are in amazing shape. Let's let them develop and then move pieces at the right time for a large upgrade when we are more confident of our true contender status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad