Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I’m not sold on Coyle tbh. He’s a fine player, but I think once Neal gets going that he can be a very comparable player.

It’s really to bad we didn’t move Bennett+ for Domi. I do feel like we’re 1 piece away from being a top dog, and I think Bennett is easily our most tradeable asset. The best name I’ve heard floated so far is Schenn. Another name might be Simmonds. I feel like his price has really come down, but the Flyers want to win now since Hextall was fired so I doubt there’s a deal to be made there.

As of right now I feel like Bennett is trending to be a Boone Jenner.

Reactions: Janks

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
I’m not sold on Coyle tbh. He’s a fine player, but I think once Neal gets going that he can be a very comparable player.

It’s really to bad we didn’t move Bennett+ for Domi. I do feel like we’re 1 piece away from being a top dog, and I think Bennett is easily our most tradeable asset. The best name I’ve heard floated so far is Schenn. Another name might be Simmonds. I feel like his price has really come down, but the Flyers want to win now since Hextall was fired so I doubt there’s a deal to be made there.

Simmonds has been declining bad.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Simmonds has been declining bad.

I Agree. That’s why if the price was a little more than Bennett+, I’d look at it. He’s still very good and would be a great add for the short term. But going back a couple of years, his value would have been significantly more.

Like I said my ideal land would be Schenn.

Reactions: Flameshomer

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010

I’d stay away from Simmonds, seems like a disappointment waiting to happen. I think, ideally, if we make a move, you want a guy that’s going to be around for more than 30 games. That’s the main reason I suggested Coyle. He may not be the best piece around but we’d have him for at least next season too.

Jenner could be interesting. I not sure this team can afford to lose Bennett’s grit, without replacing it at least somewhat.

Andre Burakovsky is another kid I’d look at. Could use a change of scenery and plays either wing.

Another reason I’m in favour of a move, is that I have a strange feeling we could be in danger of an offer sheet. As much as I need to vent about Bennett sometimes, the kid does have heart. I truly believe he wants to be successful and win as much or more than any other Flame. He probably isn’t happy with his usage prior to this season and I think he still believes he could be an impact player in this league. I’m sure the kid is just as frustrated as the fans. That being said, unless he turns his season around, I don’t think he’s going to be happy with the offer.
If I was a GM, with cap to burn, Bennett is exactly the kind of kid I’d take a flyer on. A $4 million offer returns a 2nd. Not likely enough that Treliving would let it happen, but it’s right on the edge and could seriously screw up some long term plans.

Last edited:
Reactions: DominikBokkFan

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I Agree. That’s why if the price was a little more than Bennett+, I’d look at it. He’s still very good and would be a great add for the short term. But going back a couple of years, his value would have been significantly more.

Like I said my ideal land would be Schenn.

Rather stay away from Simmonds, especially as a rental using Bennett as a piece.

I'm actually in favour of Jeff Carter, being perfectly honest. You just hate do to it between divisional rivals.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
2019 1st + 2020 3rd + Bennett + Mangiapane + Valimaki + Neal (salary) for Tarasenko

Edit: or Hanifin + Bennett

Go go Treliving

Last edited:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Would Reto Berra and Mark Cundari be enough to get J-Bo out of St. Louis to stabilize our back-end a bit?

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Tarasenko would be too expensive. O'Reilly might be available but also expensive. Schenn could probably be had for less... janko kylington and our 1st?

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Rather stay away from Simmonds, especially as a rental using Bennett as a piece.

I'm actually in favour of Jeff Carter, being perfectly honest. You just hate do to it between divisional rivals.

I heard a report today that Carter isn’t fully over his Achilles injury. I love Carter but he’s not been himself at all this year and may never be again.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Honestly wouldn't change too much.

2018-12-13-0004.png

Maybe another scoring center. I do like Kevin Hayes. Jeff Carter I think still has another 3 years on his deal, but that might make him cheaper. Would rather avoid moving the 1st, Bennett, or Kylington.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I would do a lot of things to acquire Kevin Hayes. But I'm pretty sure he's stepped into a leadership role with the Rangers so I doubt they move him. Would be cool to reunite Hayes and Gaudreau though, especially if we could do it without moving a player currently on the team.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If we are going to spend assets its going to have to have cap going back the other way, and not for a rental ideally.

Hopefully some guys get going in the bottom six to provide extra depth at some point (Neal especially) that can almost be our deadline pickup.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If STL is selling, we should 100% get Schenn. Tarasenko would be a dream add, but Schenn would actually fill a bigger need and he’s way cheaper.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
If STL is selling, we should 100% get Schenn. Tarasenko would be a dream add, but Schenn would actually fill a bigger need and he’s way cheaper.

In theory anyways. I still don't think he would be "cheap" to acquire. And he's only under contract for this year and next.

We'd have to send cap back or move it via another trade. This offseason is already looking murky as is.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Is it time to consider running two D on the 2nd PP unit?

I feel like we'd have more luck running some combination of Hanifin-Andersson on the blue line, since apparently our forward depth isn't deep enough to have 8 forwards between the two units, especially with Backlund out.

Reactions: Mobiandi

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In theory anyways. I still don't think he would be "cheap" to acquire. And he's only under contract for this year and next.

We'd have to send cap back or move it via another trade. This offseason is already looking murky as is.

Honestly his contract length fits our needs perfectly.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Because it’s not long term. We would need to move Bennett out in the deal to acquire him so he would be a rental for 1.5 years. Other moves could be made for cap space to sign Tkachuk.

We'd have to move out Stone at a minimum to make it work most likely yeah, and possibly cheap out on goaltending.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad