Speculation: Armchair GM Thread II: What did the goalie say to the puck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I propose that we use Ks to represent sh sounds from here on out on this board. I'll give an example: the Oilers are horsekit.

I'd do Ky, but no just K.

Like, when I watch the Oilers play hockey it reminds me of that steaming pile of kyit I just took.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I think if the Flames try and add someone due to a potential Backlund injury they should look at Derek Brassard. Pittsburgh is looking to move him and due to his awful start to the season I can't see him having much value.

I don't know what you trade for him maybe Jankowski + something can get him.

Edit: Actually looking into it maybe not he seems to have regressed a lot.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think if the Flames try and add someone due to a potential Backlund injury they should look at Derek Brassard. Pittsburgh is looking to move him and due to his awful start to the season I can't see him having much value.

I don't know what you trade for him maybe Jankowski + something can get him.

I'm pretty sure we don't have the cap space to add a contract like Brassard, but regardless I would not want to move a young cost-controlled asset in Jankowski for a guy on the wrong side of 30 having a bad season.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
We could really use a top 6 centre right now, if they're unwilling to break up the Lindy/Johnny/Mony line.

I honestly thought they could use one earlier this season, even with Backs. When healthy teams were having a hard time matching up with Calgary; I can't imagine how it'd be if they had Backs on the 3rd line versus 2nd. Alone that'd be absurd.

Guys I'd look at:
Kevin Hayes
Matt Duchene
Jeff Carter (with Retention %, let's say getting his cap to 4 mil-ish)

Thoughts:
Hayes and Duchene are rentals, as of today, and will both likely cost a pretty penny. I feel Kevin Hayes would be the best overall fit, he'll come cheaper than Duchene; has chemistry with members of our US team brass already. How good would this team look, when healthy:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Hayes - Bennett
Jankowski - Backlund - Czarnik
Frolik- Ryan - Hathaway

Good luck dealing with that.

NY will be looking for a first, at minimum.

Jeff Carter is a darkhorse. LA needs to do something. Jeff Carter still has 3 years (after this) left on his contract; with some retaining, if he could come around 4ish million, that'd be a really solid add. He's 33, but still produces. He'd be playing on a line with the most amount of talent, than he's seen in a few years now.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
We could really use a top 6 centre right now, if they're unwilling to break up the Lindy/Johnny/Mony line.

I honestly thought they could use one earlier this season, even with Backs. When healthy teams were having a hard time matching up with Calgary; I can't imagine how it'd be if they had Backs on the 3rd line versus 2nd. Alone that'd be absurd.

Guys I'd look at:
Kevin Hayes
Matt Duchene
Jeff Carter (with Retention %, let's say getting his cap to 4 mil-ish)

Thoughts:
Hayes and Duchene are rentals, as of today, and will both likely cost a pretty penny. I feel Kevin Hayes would be the best overall fit, he'll come cheaper than Duchene; has chemistry with members of our US team brass already. How good would this team look, when healthy:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Hayes - Bennett
Jankowski - Backlund - Czarnik
Frolik- Ryan - Hathaway

Good luck dealing with that.

NY will be looking for a first, at minimum.

Jeff Carter is a darkhorse. LA needs to do something. Jeff Carter still has 3 years (after this) left on his contract; with some retaining, if he could come around 4ish million, that'd be a really solid add. He's 33, but still produces. He'd be playing on a line with the most amount of talent, than he's seen in a few years now.

It's too bad Bill Arnold retired, otherwise we reunite Gaudreau - Arnold - Hayes and light the damn league on fire :sarcasm:

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I'd look to Bennett at center again before making any moves. Last night was the most comfortable he'd looked on the second line since his promotion.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
I wonder what it would take to get Brayden Schenn. Idk how good he is cause i havent watched him but his stats are good he is a consistant 50 point guy and got 70 pts last year and is also doing ok this year. Has 1.5 years left on his deal could be a good long term rental. Bennett/Jankowski+1st plus one of our 3 young defensemen?

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I say we make a trade to get Ferland at the deadline. Gives us more depth and more options.
It’d be interesting to know what the asking price really was. Maybe if we gave up Bennett, we might not have had to give up Fox, as well.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I wonder what it would take to get Brayden Schenn. Idk how good he is cause i havent watched him but his stats are good he is a consistant 50 point guy and got 70 pts last year and is also doing ok this year. Has 1.5 years left on his deal could be a good long term rental. Bennett/Jankowski+1st plus one of our 3 young defensemen?
Too much for Schenn. Backlund would have to be the main piece going back, for long term cap possibility and he’s a marginal up grade. Probably a better winger, than a centre.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

In all honesty, Schenn would probably be the best fit of anyone in the league for our roster.

I’d easily move Bennett for him. What would hurt is kicking one of our dman and maybe our 1st. But Schenn would probably guarantee us the Cup this year. A line of Schenn Tkachuk and Neal would be the biggest nightmare 2nd line in the league and would be a throw back to the legion of doom the Flyers used to roll out.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
In all honesty, Schenn would probably be the best fit of anyone in the league for our roster.

I’d easily move Bennett for him. What would hurt is kicking one of our dman and maybe our 1st. But Schenn would probably guarantee us the Cup this year. A line of Schenn Tkachuk and Neal would be the biggest nightmare 2nd line in the league and would be a throw back to the legion of doom the Flyers used to roll out.
Only if we get good goaltending ;). If we could add Schenn and a #1 goalie we would be set. But i think all this talk for a #2C should not happen till we get a goalie. It would be tragic to give up assets for Schenn than lose in round 1 due to goaltending.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Peters blender over lateral moves or knee jerk movements plz. I think we should be focusing on fine tuning the system and chemistry etc. Not messing with the mix.

Unless someone is begging us to fleece them or offering reliable longevity in goal... It's ok to make those moves.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Adding McDavid wouldn’t even guarantee us winning the cup this year. That’s not how winning the cup works

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Adding McDavid wouldn’t even guarantee us winning the cup this year. That’s not how winning the cup works

Of course. But the first thing is you need to make the playoffs, which we are well on our way to do. Then you need a team that can win in the playoffs. Adding Schenn to our mix would give us hands down the best roster in the West. We would have an elite scoring line. Another top end scoring line but one that would punish and wear opponents down. Then we would have one of the very best shutdown lines in the league. Our defence is among the best in the NHL. It would be a fantastic addition and really stack our odds.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I still think Charlie Coyle...Said it for years now, but always thought he's exactly what we need and would be a great fit. Wonder what he'd cost, and if the wild would even consider moving him. All I know is that I've wanted to see him in red for a few years now.

If someone posts a lady in red meme, I'm going to lose it ;)

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Not sure about cost, but I love Schenn!!

Schenn would be a small fortune. He's actually got a really good contract, and only signed for another year after this one.
Would be a great add, just it'd be cost prohibitive. Unless Calgary's willing to part with their first, and one of the top young D, I don't see St Louis being interested.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I still think Charlie Coyle...Said it for years now, but always thought he's exactly what we need and would be a great fit. Wonder what he'd cost, and if the wild would even consider moving him. All I know is that I've wanted to see him in red for a few years now.

If someone posts a lady in red meme, I'm going to lose it ;)

Coyle would be an excellent fit here. Can play C and R, can produce with good line mates and is young enough to not be a pure rental. Sounds like the Wild are shopping him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad