Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What do you guys think of like Monahan+ for Laine?

A line of Gaudreau-Lindholm-Laine intrigues me.

He’s also one of the best PP players in the league and would give us a true shooter. I know he’s flawed but so is Ovi.

I would do it.

Gaudreau - Bennett - Lindholm
Laine - Dube - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Ryan

rock-solid top nine right there.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
OKG, I’m curious what’s your take on Granlund?

Markus? He's a tweener. I think the best case scenario for him would be to play 4LW somewhere and find a fit as a slower version of what Tobias Reider was for us.

Mikael? He's a 2nd line winger too. Never had success at centre, only ever succeeded when Boudreau put him on the shutdown line with Koivu. On the Flames, that's Mangiapane's spot, and I'm not convinced Granlund has much value-added over what Mangiapane gave us last year. As a LHS, Granlund should also not be playing on our #1PP unit ahead of any of Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Lindholm or even Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Markus? He's a tweener. I think the best case scenario for him would be to play 4LW somewhere and find a fit as a slower version of what Tobias Reider was for us.

Mikael? He's a 2nd line winger too. Never had success at centre, only ever succeeded when Boudreau put him on the shutdown line with Koivu. On the Flames, that's Mangiapane's spot, and I'm not convinced Granlund has much value-added over what Mangiapane gave us last year. As a LHS, Granlund should also not be playing on our #1PP unit ahead of any of Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk, Lindholm or even Monahan.

I was thinking of him playing 2nd line RW. At the right money, he could be a nice fit for us. But maybe Dube is good to go there next season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

He’s also one of the best PP players in the league and would give us a true shooter. I know he’s flawed but so is Ovi.

I've floated the idea before. There is appetite for Laine or Ehlers if the plus on Mony isn't too high.

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
My concern with Laine is how high that next cap hit is gonna be since he only has one season left, and I feel if he's your highest paid player, you aren't going to be an extremely successful team

I'd rather look to offer sheet Cirelli tbh

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Is there any actual evidence of what Laine wants to get paid? I’ve never heard any such words come out of his mouth. I don’t see any reason that he would be paid more than he has earned.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
On twitter there's a video of Renaud Lavoie doing a french interview where he says that we're actively shopping Gaudreau and he'll be moved by free agency. If true I hope we're heading towards a re-tool but being a Flames fan I know we're going to trot out Monahan as our first line center next season and be in the exact same position next offseason.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
On twitter there's a video of Renaud Lavoie doing a french interview where he says that we're actively shopping Gaudreau and he'll be moved by free agency. If true I hope we're heading towards a re-tool but being a Flames fan I know we're going to trot out Monahan as our first line center next season and be in the exact same position next offseason.

I read that do and I 100% agree with you on everything. I am very scared, I dont know if I should laugh or cry(but we will find out soon enough.)

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

Horrible trade. Trade a #1 center for another LW. (yes he shoots right but he is a LW like Ovy)

A LW that would rather play fornite than commit to hockey.

cheech70

Oct 26, 2013
NNJ
Ranger fan here...Hanafin is someone we could be interested in...what are his pluses and his drawbacks? TIA

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
I can't say I'm surprised but most of the Gaudreau offers aren't bad... they're insulting.

Don't worry guys if we trade him now we could get cap dump + late 1st, how has Treliving not jumped on this opportunity yet?

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
Was said on headlines last night that Jersey willing to trade 18 or 20 as part of a trade for a 26 and under player with term. Well Johnny is 27.

Would be fun to get both 18 and 20 and then draft 18, 19 and 20. Wouldn’t that be something if Guhle and Schneider were both on the board then? Imagine trotting out Anderson, Valimaki, Schneider and Guhle for next decade against the Oilers and Canucks star forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad