Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Some Eichel rumours would be a nice change of pace from seeing Domi, Kuemper, DeAngelo, Buchenevich, Voracek, Gostisbehere and other underwhelming to insulting returns for our top assets

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I'd do Tkachuk + Kylington for Eichel, but I don't add much on top of Matty. But I don't turn away the elite centre if that gets it done.

I'd also do Gaudreau + Monahan, with a small add like a Kylington. Because God damn is Eichel good

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I wouldn’t deal Tkachuk. The idea is to have Eichel come here and have some guys to play with. Monahan is obvious that he goes, Buffalo also needs some dman help, so Hanifin makes sense. Then I add our best prospect and our 1st, I think offer is hard to beat. Maybe we can even get Montour back.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
A possible appeal for Eichel to come to Calgary is our American group of Gaudreau, Tkachuk, and Hanifin. If you find a way to keep two of them here (Gaudreau by some miracle) then it would be amazing

In my opinion if you can get Eichel without dealing Tkachuk; you just do it. Regardless of price. A team built with Eichel, Tkachuk and Backlund as your first line and second line pair; will be a team that goes far.

If you can not trade Dube in the trade, it’s a bonus. But literally anything.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
In my opinion if you can get Eichel without dealing Tkachuk; you just do it. Regardless of price. A team built with Eichel, Tkachuk and Backlund as your first line and second line pair; will be a team that goes far.

Yep, I agree. You open the bank for him, but ideally you keep Johnny and Chucky.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Like I said, not many teams will beat a Monahan + trade. I don't think you need to add Gaudreau to it, that's a huge ask. I still do that trade don't get me wrong though.

Name one team that has a better center than Monahan that would trade for Eichel. Monahan is near 25-30 best center in the league, if you're trading Eichel you need a center back and Monahan is probably the best one back they're going to get, he's still a #1 guy, just not that elite talent that Eichel is.

Monahan + Pelletier + 1st + 2nd would be hard to beat. Yeah there's teams out there that could beat that (NYR could offer 1st overall + Kakko, etc. but I don't see them giving up so much future stars for Eichel when they have Zibenijad).

I still don't see Buffalo entertaining the idea of trading Eichel even if he requests a trade, they'll just make him play there. Just like if McDavid asks for a trade I don't see Edmonton trading him, they'll just force him to play his contract.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
The team I would dangle Gaudreau to is the Buffalo Sabres(not for Eichel but because of Eichel), the Sabres will want to keep Eichel happy, so they might be willing to pay a lot.

Reactions: Rockmorton

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The team I would dangle Gaudreau to is the Buffalo Sabres(not for Eichel but because of Eichel), the Sabres will want to keep Eichel happy, so they might be willing to pay a lot.

Except, the Flames are the best IF Johnny stays. So if we acquire Eichel over the course of the next 12 months, does make JG want to stay?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Hmmm...what else does Buffalo really have better than Money & Johnny? Be interested on others take and what else Buffalo mighf offer those two Flames.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Using Tampa as your comparable Volicia, we struck out comparatively. Monahan and Bennnett at 4 and 6 have not panned out into elite C's. Tampa had Stamkos (though you can argue about if he's actually a C or not) and Hedman with their top picks (and traded for Sergachev essentially with their other one, while we come out slightly ahead with the Tkachuk pick). Our late rounder hit in Gaudreau was a star winger, whereas they got Point who is arguably one of the top centers in the league AND Kucherov. Our next closet non early first round impact player is.... Mark Jankowski or Andrew Mangiapane.

They've also had significantly larger success drafting, free agency, developing depth, goaltending and trade chips. Their trades overall have also been highly impactful, mostly positively.

While yes we did get Gio from an undrafted UFA position, he was also significantly older. They also got St. Louis whose impact both from a development standpoint and eventual trade standpoint is still felt on the roster too, as well as Yani Gourde.

Tampa is hardly the standard model in some ways, as they've both been lucky, skilled and about to reap the consequences of their actions. To me, I look more at the Blues and see what they did right in terms of drafting and development, a few high picks, and trades.

Lindholm has been great, and Kadri could have been our Schenn move, but we've definitely lacked the Ryan O'Reilly esque player (and boy isn't that ironic). We could have had a similar one two punch on D with Gio and Dougie, but obviously that ship sailed. Gaudreau could have been our Tarasenko.

Just a lot of what could have beens, draft failures, and trades backfiring or failing to happen, and of course free agent backfires. Hindsight being 2020, but would be interesting to see what this team becomes without the Hamonic trade, finding a goalie sooner, and Brouwer/Neal not turning into disasters or simply not happening. As much as I still like the Dougie trade from Boston overall, imagine if we had one of Connor, Barzal or Chabot on the roster today instead. Really changes the feel of the "core".
And, we haven't had a John Cooper level coach here during our top guys, current core ( wearing out a bit) best years so far. As well, where is the Flames 'Vasilevskiy' in Net!!? No where close yet!

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015

You have to do it if it's possible, even if it hurts. And we're one of the few teams that do have the cap space and pieces for it.

We're sitting here thinking that our window only has 1-3 years left but a happy Eichel here keeps it open for f***ing forever

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I see absolutely no reason to weigh down the trade value of the team's most talented player with Milan Lucic. Not to mention we'd be paying nearly 16 million per to our LDs and blocking both Valimaki and Kylington. It's a no for me anyways.
Very good points. I might consider it for RD rfa Phillipe Myers, over Ghost, and another high pick or prospect.
Tough to know on Voracek holding up fitting in here with our core, equalling Johnny's value? However, Voracek is more of a power forward type with good playmaking skills, to possibly fit in, compliment Money's scoring skills. Would be out of Lucic's nightmare contract, but...Looch has kind of fit in here as long as not valuing his contract to pure production. And Voracek costs over 8 per himself...so?

Last edited:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Interesting? Just hope Newhook doesn't follow the path of Tyson Jost mediocrity trying to find his game at this level. On the fence of "not sure" gang on this one?

That's fair. I was just thinking about contending teams with room, where Johnny would be of interest and a fit, and has decent trade pieces for us in return. Colorado was one I hadn't really considered at first.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
No one is off the table for Eichel. I love Tkachuk, but if he's part of the package I'm driving his ass to the airport.

Send the hate my way if you like.

Reactions: Bond

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
I wouldn't want to turn the team into Jason Botterill's Buffalo Sabres in acquiring Eichel though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad