Speculation: Armchair GM Thread - 2019/20 Season Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Just like every year the Flames will be "in on" a bunch of good names and then end up one Carl Soderberg richer.
Never mind a Carl Sodrburger, how about going all in on trying to sign Goalie Craig Anderson for 1 year, under $2 mil. He can play 20 or so games, add experience but don't overwork him. Bring up a rookie now and then for a couple games look, fill-in, change of pace and let Big-Save-Dave reset, rest when needed. We could offer CA extension to be a Goalie coach, if all goes well? May help Flames get to seeing what they have in youngsters Wolf and Zaggy-Doin-it and mature quicker for future stardom?

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I'd be targeting Tanev over Virtanen TBH. This assuming AP's logical landing spot isn't in Calgary. I'd be fine with giving Markstrom up to 5.25 AAV I think.
This works if not in on Pietrangelo, which frankly I don't see happening getting AP in a Flames uni.
More likely yo land Taylor Hall, by all reports I have heard, than A Pietr.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Hanifin for Debrusk is bad value for Calgary imo. I like Debrusk but he doesn’t fill a need at all

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Hanifin for Debrusk is bad value for Calgary imo. I like Debrusk but he doesn’t fill a need at all

Shush you. Don't you know we are envisioning a team with 8 LW? We definitely need DeBrusk and Hall to achieve that.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
If Toronto is dead set on getting rid of Andersen, I'd consider trying to nab him for cheap. His issues don't seem any worse than Cam Talbot's, he's younger, good fit within our cap structure... I think he could use the change of scenery.

I'd be starting to be looking in that direction over Markstrom TBH if Markstrom is asking more than 5.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If Toronto is dead set on getting rid of Andersen, I'd consider trying to nab him for cheap. His issues don't seem any worse than Cam Talbot's, he's younger, good fit within our cap structure... I think he could use the change of scenery.

I'd be starting to be looking in that direction over Markstrom TBH if Markstrom is asking more than 5.

Out of Markstrom, Andersen and Matt Murray which goaltender would you guys want? Keeping in mind the cost of acquiring and the cap space.

I think I would be happy with any of these 3 goaltenders and a backup of Talbot or Rittich. I feel like getting Fleury might not be worth because of age.

Markstrom on the open market will get anywhere from $5.5 million to $6.5 million.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Acquisition costs:

MM (2nd+?)> Andersen (2nd ish) > MAF (4th ish unless retain?) > Markstrom (UFA/4th> for rights)

Contract expectations:

MAF @7> Markstrom@6 > MM@5 ish >= Andersen @ 5

Cap structure (ie: Retention?)

Markstrom @ 6 > MM@5 ish >= Andersen @ 5 > MAF @<5?

Real cash:

Markstrom @ 6 (100%) > MAF @ 6 (@ 86% due to structure) > MM @ 5.XX (100%) > Andersen @ 1 (@ 20% based on signing bonus?)

Talbot won't be a back up unless we trade Rittich. Maybe that makes sense for Toronto who historically has had abysmal backups to Andersen? Andersen/Tbot at 8.5 mil cap hit, but 4.5 mil real cash might work though and might be the best quality tandem we've had since Hiller/Ramo in 2015 and probably ever in Franchise history (Kipper and no one doesn't count).

Based on the above, realistically I'd want: Markstrom (if below 5.5) > Andersen (If TO is moving on from him)> MAF (if around 5) > MM.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Elliotte Friedman joined Hockey Central to discuss where things stand in the current stalemate between the St. Louis Blues and Alex Pietrangelo and whether or not the parties can come to an agreement before free agency hits.

According to Elliotte Friedman:

- this is about bonus structure and a buyout proof contract

- Alex Pietrangelo wants protection towards the end of the contract so that he doesn't get bought out

- structure is an issue, but even on the AAV (St. Louis Blues and Pietrangelo aren't close to each other), protection on the back end of the contract is absolutely an issue

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Anderson is a better Rittich but I don't think he's long term am answer and not worth the assets. Especially considering we'd have to go right into a new contract negotiation with him. I'd rather sign someone like Greiss for a year than trade for Andersen.

At least if we sign Markstrom you know it's gonna be term so we don't have to worry about that.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Honestly, if the rumored 6 million for 5 years is the price for Markstrom, there's value in that it's "free" acquisition vs trades, and some value in getting a starter locked down for term, better or worse. I'm tired of our goaltending changing every year.

My preference would be Markstrom before Hall/Pietro, unless Tre is making other big moves.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I think Markstrom and Andersen are close. The acquisition cost is a fair comment and the long term nature is another fair comment. Choose a guy and ride or die is a good summary. It's time to get off the carousel.

Andersen has been more consistent over his career than Markstrom though. Splitting hairs, I disagree of Andersen being a better Rittich. TBH, I think he's more at the level of Talbot several years ago which I'll add worries me trajectory wise.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I saw this here Speculation: - Jimmy Hayes Hearing Trade Rumors

Jimmy Hayes is apparently hearing rumors around Gaudreau to Philly: "Gaudreau and something else to Philly for Voracek and Ghost. Jimmy followed this up by saying that’s a lot of money going back to Calgary and there would have to be a juicy prospect going back to CGY."

I posted this proposal in main board thread but figured I'd share it here.

I would imagine it would have to be a big something else in terms of contract value going back to Philly, maybe Lucic?

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost

Both teams dump bad contracts.

Flames add a legit top line power forward, a PP QB to replace Gustafsson, and a solid C prospect.

Could this work for Calgary?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Jimmy Hayes is apparently hearing rumors around Gaudreau to Philly: "Gaudreau and something else to Philly for Voracek and Ghost. Jimmy followed this up by saying that’s a lot of money going back to Calgary and there would have to be a juicy prospect going back to CGY."

I would imagine it would have to be a big something else in terms of contract value going back to Philly, maybe Lucic?

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost

Flames add a legit top line power forward, a PP QB to replace Gustafsson, and a solid C prospect.

I see absolutely no reason to weigh down the trade value of the team's most talented player with Milan Lucic. Not to mention we'd be paying nearly 16 million per to our LDs and blocking both Valimaki and Kylington. It's a no for me anyways.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I see absolutely no reason to weigh down the trade value of the team's most talented player with Milan Lucic. Not to mention we'd be paying nearly 16 million per to our LDs and blocking both Valimaki and Kylington. It's a no for me anyways.

I imagine you'd have to have one of those 3 learn to play the right side, or move Hanifin / Gio. But yeah may not make sense.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost

Good lord no. That reeks of change for the sake of change.

Philly could retain 50% on Voracek and it's still a very meh deal for Calgary. And I like Morgan Frost.

Now part of a bigger picture deal, who knows? Really not a fan of $8+ to Voracek for 4 more years.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
So much Calgary trade smoke and I've yet to see a trade where we don't get slaughtered

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost

How about this?

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)
Jankowski

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost
Patrick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Please, rumour Gods, if you exist... don't let Brad Treliving pull a single one of the trades we are rumoured to be parts of. I see us winning none of them yet.

Reactions: Gettin Iggy With It

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
You clearly haven't read the CP trade thread where multiple users support a Gaudreau for Duchene/Johansen trade.

That's because that CP smoke is probably from some whacky tobacky.

Please, rumour Gods, if you exist... don't let Brad Treliving pull a single one of the trades we are rumoured to be parts of. I see us winning none of them yet.

Real Treliving rumors are not as stupid as the ones floating around.

Think Frolik + 1st (Pelletier) for Zucker or Brodie + Janko for Kadri and brown.either deal also unlocks enough cap for a long term Chucky extension.

We paid excess assets on the Carolina trade and it wasn't even as brutal as the stuff out there right now. (Rumor Hamilton plus for Lindholm and Hanifin. most thought small plus, turned out to be fox and Ferland.)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
How about this?

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)
Jankowski

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost
Patrick

I think I would do that if I were a Flyers fan. But I have never been all that high on Nolan Patrick, and during the two years they were both in the league, they performed pretty similarly.

From 17/18 thru 18/19:

Patrick at 5v5
1.56 p/60
0.58 g/60
1.02 primary p/60

2 year total - 145gp 23g 61p

Jankowski at 5v5
1.52 p/60
0.74 g/60
1.19 primary p/60

2 year total - 151gp 31g 57p

Granted Patrick was 19/20 years old, but he really didn't progress all that much in his sophomore year, and as Jankowski has shown, development isn't always linear, especially for a player with Patrick's serious injury history. I think when you factor in the roles they were asked to play, Jankowski was undoubtedly the better overall player for those 2 years.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if that continued to be the case, but I don't think Jankowski finds that in Calgary. He needs a change of scenery to fulfill his potential.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I think I would do that if I were a Flyers fan. But I have never been all that high on Nolan Patrick, and during the two years they were both in the league, they performed pretty similarly.

From 17/18 thru 18/19:

Patrick at 5v5
1.56 p/60
0.58 g/60
1.02 primary p/60

2 year total - 145gp 23g 61p

Jankowski at 5v5
1.52 p/60
0.74 g/60
1.19 primary p/60

2 year total - 151gp 31g 57p

Granted Patrick was 19/20 years old, but he really didn't progress all that much in his sophomore year, and as Jankowski has shown, development isn't always linear, especially for a player with Patrick's serious injury history. I think when you factor in the roles they were asked to play, Jankowski was undoubtedly the better overall player for those 2 years.

It wouldn't at all surprise me if that continued to be the case, but I don't think Jankowski finds that in Calgary. He needs a change of scenery to fulfill his potential.

There is no upside to a slow and soft forward with lack of consistency and motivation.

Jankowski is done in Calgary. But BT is an idiot so he will probably be back.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

Gaudreau (2yr 6.75M)
Lucic (3yr 5.25M)

Voracek (4 yr 8.25M)
Gostisbehere (3yr 4.5M)
Morgan Frost

the minute you tie Lucic to the trade the value coming back goes way down...so no Morgan Frost etc and i am not sure we can get Voracik and Ghost for a Gaudreau Lucic return...it might change to a JVR/Ghost return which is not good at all.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

What do you mean? Are you telling me you wouldn't trade

Sean Monahan
Johhny Gaudreau

for

Matt Dumba
Jakub Voracek
Shayne Gostibehere

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::help::help::help:

The internet can be an infuriating place sometimes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad